And so, They must Beg (WT Nov.1,02)

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

It's that time again! Time for the Watchtower to beg for contributions!

The Nov. 1 WT has the usual article with a great big grey box covering two pages

telling you all the ways you can give $ to the Watchtower, Not only that, but the main

study article (pg.10,11) emphasizes the point further.

Now, why isn't JEHOVAH GOD SHOWERING THEM WITH MONEY?

Why are they downsizing? Cutting subscriptions? Printing cheap paperback books?

Not offering food at assemblies?

I think this Watchtower has two clues! First, the cover says "Why Should I Apologize?"

Do any of these idiots realize this applies to them? About hurtful false prophecies? About

covering up child molesting? Hello? Anybody home?

The study article also preaches about how wonderful Jehovah's Witnesses are, offering the usual

newpaper quotes. Did Jesus warn against a showy display of one's righteousness "to be seen

by men" ( Matt.6:1)? That there would be "no reward" for it?

They are so skilled at manipulating people into showy displays of righteousness, they are

failing to get Witnesses to be righteous IN SECRET - hence, they must cover up child molesters

and plead for Witnesses TO MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS!

And so, they must beg

metatron

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

They need to learn to "wait on Jehovah."

Leave it in Jehovah's hands, Ted Jaracz. Your Jehovah sock-puppet will provide.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I would have thought that their income was doing very nicely since the "donation arrangement" was introduced. The Society gets "donations" twice for each items of literature, once from the publisher, and next by the householder.

Cheers, Ozzie

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Is this an annual event for them (Begging for money in the WT) or is this unusual?

• Mary
    Mary

OZZIE SAID: "...I would have thought that their income was doing very nicely since the "donation arrangement" was introduced. The Society gets "donations" twice for each items of literature, once from the publisher, and next by the householder...."

Actually Ozzie, they're lucky if they get even ONE contribution for the literature. Don't forget: most Witnesses are notoriously CHEAP; they're always trying to get freebies from other brothers with businesses, and if you ever go to a brother who's an auto mechanic, they'll tell you that the worst ones for paying their bills are their fellow "brothers and sisters".

So seeing as they're not being "forced" to pay for magazines any more (all done on the honour system), there are alot of Dubs that don't give one red cent towards the cost of the mags. Then, most Witnesses would rather just give the magazines away at the doors rather than ask for the "donation"; it's not as embarassing and you would probably place more if people think they're free.

Even if they do get a donation at the door, they probably get it 10 minutes before coffee break time so that one's down the drain too.

I knew someone at the Canadian Bethel and they said that the money situation has fallen off dramatically. Not that the Society is starving or anything, but they're not getting anything near what they used to get, hence the cutbacks.

Good.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mary,

It's interesting to get your comments from 'over the pond'.

A while back I asked a family member in Europe about her contributing for literature and I was reassured that her contribution was minimal, much like as you have described.

I then asked another family member in Oz and her reaction was the same.

Interestingly, both persons I asked are long-serving Regular Pioneers!!!

Anyway, I take your point about the contributions dropping off. I guess the thrust of my remark was that the WTS already have a scheme in place to well cover their needs. Or so I would have thought. Of course, if the R&F don't "cooperate", what else can they do but put the annual begging letter article in The Watchtower.

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 17 September 2002 9:33:17

• Analysis
    Analysis

They do get some money from people who give a standard amount each month. But, it is rare that publisher asks for and receives a donations from the someone at the door. If they were to receive a donation they would give them more literature which defeats the purpose.

I think the real issue is that Congregations all over the world are having problems paying the bills. In the US the high cost of land and improvements required by the local governments; has made the cost of building Kingdom Halls to go through the roof. So the local publishers are asked to meet the local needs first.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

As for the lack of food at assemblies, I figured they stopped it to save themselves paying money out for food poisoning lawsuits. Every time I ate those awful cold cuts I got sick, and so did most of the people I know. Food handling conditions were less than stellar. And I remember one memorable assembly in Darwin, Australia, where I saw the kids take the bucket of sausages that had been sitting out in a vat of water all day, cover it for the night and the next morning merely add hot water before serving them again. I lived on Fudgesicles that convention and lost 3 pounds.

Nina

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The decision to stop serving food at assemblies was based on their desire to avoid paying tax on sales.

It was announced with a positive spin on it i.e. "simplification", but many saw through that for what it really was, tax avoidance.

Cheers, Ozzie

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

How many assemblies have you been at where somebody gets up there and says "Oh I started pioneering and then my husband lost his job and we didnt have any money for rent, and then one morning when I was praying to Jehovah there was an envelope on my stoop for EXACTLY $429.39...the EXACT amount of my rent payment! Jehovah DOES provide for his servants!" Huge applause follows.

Obviously this Jehovah provides thing doesnt work on a large scale eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit