Does God still exist for you?

by nakedmvistar 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rocky220
    rocky220

I'm not going to stop believing in God because the WT chooses to misrepresent Him...that's all!!!..rocky220

• Liberty
    Liberty

Our belief in God is primarily cultural. Most of us here were born into Christian cultures, whether born into JWism or converted later, so we were all completely submerged in Christian influenced cultures and their concepts. Had we been born into an Islamic culture our concepts of God would be Islamic. Because belief in God and our concepts of God are predetermined by our cultures I find it hard to believe that our "longing" for and/or curiosity about God is anything but a cultural phenomenon.

If God exists He has made NO effort to communicate with us (any objective study of the Bible reveals it to be utter nonsense, and therefor, not a communication from a super being) to substantiate His existance. This leaves us with two equally comforting possibilities: God exists but doesn't care whether we acknowledge Him or not; or, God doesn't exist at all. Since there is absolutely no evidence for God's existance I think the later is a logical choice. The Universe without God has fewer unanswered questions and just makes more sense. So no, after years of study, searching, and a lot of thought God does not exist for me now. I am still open to the possibility however, if I am provided with any evidence beyond, "because this magic book says so" or, "God is speaking through a chosen messenger".

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    So religion in general leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. They are all as judgemental as can be and if a person doesn't see that then they aren't paying attention.

Religions aren't judgmental; people are. The Watchtower is a religion that teaches its people to be judgmental, and some churches do that, too. But that doesn't mean that all churches (or all people) are that way. There are good ones out there.

Edited by - NeonMadman on 16 September 2002 12:50:22

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    any objective study of the Bible reveals it to be utter nonsense, and therefor, not a communication from a super being

Poisoning the well, are we? This statement actually argues that the Bible is nonsense, in effect, because you say so. If I say that I am aware of some information or a study that would validate the Bible, you can quickly dismiss it as not being objective. You have framed your statement in such a way that it cannot be responded to. That's really not a fair way to argue. I just thought I should point that out.

I am still open to the possibility however, if I am provided with any evidence beyond, "because this magic book says so" or, "God is speaking through a chosen messenger".
    That's a common argument that I've heard a lot of people use. The problem with it is, there is usually no evidence that can be conceived that would convince the preson saying it. Even if God appeared to you personally to assure you of His existence, it would be an entirely subjective experience that you might later dismiss as an hallucination. So, I'm curious: what sort of evidence would convince you of God's existence?
  • Liberty
    Liberty

Hello Neon,

I wasn't spoiling for an argument I was just stating my opinion. However, I enjoy a good debate as well as anyone so I'll answer your challenge. Maybe I "poisoned the well" but you have done exactly the same to me. How do you know I would reject God if He spoke to me? This is the same lame argument I've heard from other believers as regards Atheists. If God showed up and provided evidence for His existance I'd be happy to accept Him just as I accept the Sun rise each morning but I refuse to believe just because you or an old book say I should. You ask what evidence I would need, well why would God just speak to me? Of course a private meeting could be interpreted as my insanity so He must speak to all of us in a clear distinct manner so their could be no question of His reality. Sane people all over the earth believe in the Sun because we all see it and not just the Governing Body or the Pope. You said that my assertion was a "just because I say so" argument and yet you base your whole belief system on such an assertion. You only have the Bible as any tangable basis for your belief in God and nothing else. You believe that the Bible is the word of God because it says it is. You have no evidence to present so you attack me as a person and present the same old tired circular reasoning.

I can provide evidence that the Bible is bogus and not just because I say so. A study of Geology, Biology, and Archeology quickly proves the Creation, Noah's flood, and the Tower of Babel stories to all be pure fiction. This is based on real evidence like fossils, DNA, sediment deposits, known ages of civilizations, distribution of animal and plant species, the compression strength of mud brick, and common sense. I would go into more detail but I fear you would be unconvincable (as you accuse me) no matter the evidence. I've studied your Bible but have you ever taken any university level science courses? If you are so confident in your beliefs I challenge you to see the evidence for yourself. Are you a lover of truth? If so, take some classes and expose yourself to more information so that you can make an informed choice and not just believe what your ancestor's taught a thousand years ago. I have an unfair advantage because I've seen in detail both sides of this argument. Have You? If you have some evidence from the natural world which proves God exists and that the Bible is His word then please present it so we can believe together.

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie

Not sure what I believe at this point.

• Salud
    Salud

Without wanting to get into any longwinded discussion I would like to state the following: I believe in a Creator and I know a spirit world exist. I have come to learn that the Bible is a fabrication. Christianity as we know it today was started by the Romans to control the Jews. In fact there is discussion that perhaps Paul was an agent working for the Romans in this cause. There never existed a man known as Jesus Christ. Basically all religions were created to control people and keep them from exploring their true self.

But the Truth is out there...

You know, the pagans had it right all along...

Salud of the "Proud to be Pagan" class.

• SYN
    SYN

God?

Where?

To quote Whitley Strieber: "Why do you call on your Gods? There is no-one here but us and you!"

• zanex
    zanex

god...hmmm I once knew what that word meant to me. I no longer subscribe to that antiquated thought process. The damage done when I came out of that delusion the FIRST time is not anything that I EVER wish to go through again...I am an agnostic for the only reason that when I became a father that was the closest thing to any type of "spiritual experience" that I have ever had. "god" no longer has any significant meaning. When the troof made us believe that there is best left NO separation between god and self they set in us a very dangerous booby trap. When separation did happen the break was traumatic...to rob one of the belief of god is one thing, but to rob one of the ABILITY to BELIEVE in a god is even worse...thast my take on it. F U JW!

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

You dont need a organized religion run by men to worship god. I Believe in Jehovah and his promises, the bible etc. As far as the WTBTS I'd rather celebrate birthdays and sleep in on sundays, I'm sure god will still love me just fine!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit