The Blessings of Owning A Pet

by Sentinel 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

LB, if you feed the animals, they live longer. Just a thought . . . .

Nina

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Cats are very clever. They make you think you own them, when it's obviously the reverse.

We have three dogs: Fifi, a 12+ yo poodle from the Pound who enjoys car rides; Princess, maybe 7, also rescued from the Pound and a Collie/Sheltie? mix, and Butterscotch, a Sheltie/Pointer mix from a private supplier.

Then there are the cats, five total plus a missing stray, three of which are grown and were born a little over 14 months ago. Fifi and three of the cats are fixed, including the only remaining male.

Saddest note recently (besides the stray, Snowball, who's been gone over a month now) was Angel, a Dalmation/Lab mix, who, in a fight with Butterscotch bit my youngest daughter. After it was reported and Angel removed, we found out she'd bit someone at the house that previously had her. In this state, a dog that bites has to be put down. We hated to be the ones to do it, since afterwards my daughter had to be checked for rabies...so was the dog, and if you don't know how that's done I'll spare you the details.

US News&World Report once did a main story on the question "Do Animals have Feelings?" I thought it must've been a slow week when that one went to press (10/30/2000). Looking at the cover though, I see I'm wrong. But...pets are the only creatures, besides children who still believe the world is all good, who love unconditionally.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

King,

That is terrible about the pet biting the child. So unfortunate. Pets are our friends, but at times, their predetermined instincts just take over. Some dogs are more prone to that. :-(

Our kitties are having so much fun playing together! And we have fun watching them. The only thing that has come up, is that the vet was very specific in reinterating that only dry food be given. Hubby believes that's not fair, since he says they just love the soft food. So, he is trying to feed them the soft (which gives them the loose bowels, which I have to clean up) and we had a tiny tiff this AM about it. We agreed to disagree, but still the matter is unresolved.

I'd like to know what your take on the soft food vs the hard for cats? I am really working to take care of their health in the long run, and also, the litter doesn't smell as bad with the hard food; and if we go away, the automatic feeder spits out the hard, but sure won't do that for soft .

Loving my pets,

Sentinel/Karen

• sOOner
    sOOner

Here's Purrby.the birds love to ride him

sOOner

• Swan
    Swan

Dear Sentinel,

Congratulations!

I have a poodle dog myself. Pets are so good for you, especially when you suffer from depression. Yes, they do die, as LB says, but you learn to appreciate them while they are here. So they are definately worth it.

I have wanted to get a cat too, but I am allergic to cats, so it wouldn't be fair to the cat. Still, I pet my friends' cats every time I visit and then wash my hands right away. I really enjoy them.

Happiness to you and your new pet!

Tammy

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

sOOner,

Hi sweetie. Your picture of Purrby did not show. It only shows on your side and not on ours. I have had trouble in that area as well. That is why I was asking you about the "site" where you can store pictures, gifs and stuff, to use "outside" of email. I still have been unable to figure it out. I can't even figure out how to use Simon's emoticons that he put up. Duh! I just can't "get it". That's why I only use the smiley above. It's the only emoticon available for me, and it's frustrating at times, when I have so many other emotions going on.

Hope you can figure out how to do it. Purrby is really a beautiful cat!

Swan: Hi there. Thank You. Yes, pets are a real joy. I did not realize how much please having the second cat would bring to all! We are having so much fun together. I hope sOOner can figure out a way to get Purrby through on here. She has one beautiful big cat.

Sentinel

• sOOner
    sOOner

OK this picture of Purrby is from the site that was mentioned so Rufus could get his picture posted(www.Strike9)

did Purrby show up??

If he didn't can someone in plain English explain the HOW TOO's on this matter.

Thank you~

sOOner

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

sOOner,

Yes, Purrby showed up!

Now you will have to email me as to EXACTLY how you managed to do that.

Love,

Sentinel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit