The Blessings of Owning A Pet

by Sentinel 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Everyone,

Guess what? Today we went to a local Pet Store, where they have these homeless animals, especially kittens brought in every weekend for a few hours to be adopted out.

We got there at a bit after two, and they were packing up to leave for the day. But, we had seen a cute kitten and the lady who takes care of these animals in transit, stayed so we could pick out the one we wanted.

Mind you, this was one of those spur of the moment decisions. You see, we already have a cat. A year old Tortie, we got from the animal shelter last November. She seemed so lonely here of late, and so we had the idea to get her a "sister" to keep her company during the day.

We got a tiny little black and white domestic short hair. We haven't named her yet, as I still need to get her to a vet to make certain she is healthy. She is definitely a lap cat and has gotten quite attached to me already, which suits me just find. Ginger, our other cat, was a bit peeved about the whole thing, but aside from some hissing and growling out of both of them, they are getting along really well so far. Ginger is very aloof and turned out not to be as affectionate as we originally hoped.

Just wanted to say, that having this new little kitten is really helping me fight a bit of depression that has recently come upon me. She is lovable and cudly, and asks for so little. And, she loves me no matter what.

To any of you out there who don't have pets, might I suggest saving a pet that would otherwise be put to sleep, or even worse. They can really make a big difference in your life.

Well it's off to bed now for everyone. We'll see how they co-exist tonight.

Sentinel/Karen

• Satanus
    Satanus

Congratulations. The cat i have has added something to my life. I have thought of getting her another cat for company. Good luck on you enlarged family.

SS

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have two dogs and two new kittens. I have three kids and one hubby. At the moment I have about 11 kids in a room, trying to get them to go to sleep( slumber/birthday party) and I still love to hold my kittens!!!!!!!!!!

You are right, animals are great , just watching them can make me laugh and they sense when you are down.

My black lab is especially sensitive to how a person is feeling. The other day, I watched almost all day the 9/11 coverage and that dog never ONCE left my side , that whole day. I didnt notice it until my son and I were watching it late at night. I thought I should sit with him and go over what happened, in case he needed it for school material or something. I told my son, I don't think I could watch anymore, I was all cried out, and then the dog , put her head on my lap and looked at me so sweetly. I truly think animals feel your emotions and can be great company too.

Have fun with your new kitten, and don't worry those two cats will be laying together soon. My kitten sleeps with my pug and it is the cutes sight to see. The lab tolerates them and trys to play , but I think she would like to harrass them more than anything. LOL

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Congrats!!!!!!!! I have 4 wonderful cats. They seem to know when you need them the most and will come and cuddle with you. Animals are the best medicine when you are feeling a little down.

• waiting
    waiting

I'm a FIRM believers in pets - of all kinds. I've always had them, and my 3 grown children all have dogs & cats, at least 2 each. I think one reason people get more than one animal is so that the animals will have company when owner is away, and they won't chew/pee/tear up the owner's things. Lol - and it works, most of the time.

I've got 3 dachshunds - who actually own this house a good portion of time. And a Lil' Maine Coon Cat (a LOT of hair) outside. She rules.....and knows it. My dogs lick the fool out of her real fast when they go out, because in seconds she'll start lashing out with her claws. They've learned.....lick fast and run.

We have several acres, and at one time or another in the past, as many as 20 pets roaming around. Thank God I outgrew that need before my husband outgrew me!

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

oh yeah. I think pets are great company too. Many studies have been done introducing pets to patients ......and now there are quite a few programs where pets are brought into hospitals, nursing homes, places where children are.

Pets are great company and allow us the priveledge to love and be loved in return. Good food helps keep them around, however

waiting

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sentinel,

Maybe you should name your cats Jay and Dub?

Englishman.

• SYN
    SYN

Englishman: My goldfish is called Jehover. He is continually being baptized, too.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hey, it's late, but better late than never. The computer was down most of yesterday. This thread was done to see if everything was working right. There was still so much for hubby to do. Seems he was uploading a type of computer upgrade, and the system locked and he had to reload everything. He was not a happy person. But, it's all done now, thank goodness.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

SS, yes you probably should think about getting a companion cat. Cat's get lonely and if the home is empty during the day, they can get depressed just like we do. Ginger was actually getting very remose and her temperament was changing. This new kitten will certainly give her something to do, as we keep them indoors. It's so much healthier these days, with so many viruses out there that can harm our pets.

Both our cats did really well last night. The little one was confined downstairs, so she could find the litter box in the basement much faster. Ginger became "guard cat" and would not allow her entry into the upper quarters. So funny, the way they are very territorial. We name her June. Well, it was really Gary's idea. ( The date I joined the forum was June 8, 2002, the exact day that she was born. How about that!)

At first it was difficult trying to feed the kitty separately. She was still nervous about the bigger cat, and so she would walk away from the dish. As soon as she did, Ginger would go and eat everything up really fast. This happened three times yesterday. Gary said that I needed to just let nature take it's course, because the little one had to learn to make a stand so she could eat.

Well, today she did. She ate all her food, twice. And Ginger just sat about three feet away. There's been some growling out of both of them, but hopefully they will learn to live happly together.

I think it's so great that so many of you have pets. Lyin Eyes, Syn, Waiting, and Scarlet, with the four cats. I thought it was really funny that Syn has a goldfish named Jehover.

Also, Michael, I think those names Jay and Dub are cute. If the cats were male, that might even be appropriate. I don't know though, I'd r e a l l y have to give that some thought. I think we will stop at two cats. They are expensive, with all their proper care, food, litter, etc. Little June is sitting next to me as I type. She is very feminine, with pointy ears and very long wiskers. She is slim and light as a feather. Whenever I get up and move around, she is right beside me. Whenever I go to relax in my recliner, she's right there in my lap.....It's very soothing to feel her warmth and the hum of her little motor running when she purrs

One of my sisters has a very huge cat called Purby, and lots of birds. My other sister has a talking bird that sounds just like my sister and her husband. It's so funny!

Sentinel/Karen

Edited by - Sentinel on 15 September 2002 20:18:40

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Blessings of owning a cat:

• Smelly litter box
    • Removing urine and fecal matter from the litter box
    • Cleaning urine and fecal matter off the floor (Bad Kitty!)
    • Cleaning up hairballs and vomit off the floors, cabinets, and carpet
    • Sweeping the floor twice a day every day to remove cat litter
    • Wiping everything down with a damp cloth to remove cat hair every few days

Edited by - Elsewhere on 15 September 2002 22:11:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit