ANYONE JOINED A NEW RELIGION?

by Mary 40 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Max Divergent. I believe "the friends" is a term that The Plymouth Brethren use when referring to each other.

A rather odd list of requirements for members of the Exclusive Brethren:

"a person must NOT :
    Watch television, movies or video.
    Listen to a radio.
    Read novels except for approved school books. This is more a 'should not' rule.
    Go to places of entertainment such as fairs, Disney Land etc.
    Own or operate a computer. This includes word processors and computer controlled machinery.
    Own or use a cellular telephone or CB radio.
    Own or use any device which uses radio waves, such as a garage door opener, radio controlled device, etc".

Edited by - refiners fire on 14 September 2002 10:0:42

• rocky220
    rocky220

"feel guilty for going first to Babylon The Great"..........

Excuse me but did we not prove that WT was just as much as a part of B the G, and that's why we left them!!!!! Why would we want to make the same mistake twice? rocky220

• gumby
    gumby

RR....I now serve with the Bible Students , these are the ones who separated from the Watchtower after C.T. Russell died.

My God dude...do you know what you are now?......You are of thE "EVIL SLAVE CLASS"! LOL

Derrick made a good point in a thread about this. He said it was funny the witnesses still hold the veiw that Russell was used by Jehovah and still hold him in high honor.........yet......those that followed him insted of Rutherford are now denounced.

• avengers
    avengers

No more religion for me.
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka

I think you can call my mother and I staunch apatheticists, with a touch of athiesm in there.

Essentially, who cares if there is or isn't a God? Have a creamy Guinness.

ash

• RR
    RR
    Just one question, there's a group of people around the world who have a strong bible based belief structure but claim to have no collective name and no central organisation (they refer to each other as 'the friends' I think). The women often wear no make-up, wear long dressess and long hair (as a head-covering I beleive). They meet two or three times a week for bible meetings in people's homes. I think they've been called 'Koonie-ites' (that's what it sounds like anyway). As far as anyone knows, does this group have any Russelite connections, or is it the same (or related to) group Ray Franz now associates with?

Yes, the Bible Students sttill exist, although they are fragmented into three schisms:

Associated Bible Students, Free Bible Students and Epiphany Bible Students. And within each group, there are differences and fragments.The ABS stem from the Russell era, the FBS who go by various names stem from an early 1909 schism, however the new generation are a bit too "free", it's more of an inter-denominational group then anything else. The EBS, are followers of Paul Johnson, who are structured a bit like the Society and have limited fellowship with the other groups.

As far as the Cooney-ites are concened, they have no connnection with Russell or the Watchtower, although their founder was a contemporary of Russell. I doubt they knew eachj other, but anything is possible.

Here is a site that gives some stats on the group itself. http://www.workersect.org/2x201.html

• nancee park
    nancee park

Why not try the Free Christians fellowship?

[email protected]

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

www.aristotle.net/~bhuie/topics.htm

logical, well written articles. only a click away...

• Clarke Fontaine
    Clarke Fontaine

Nice to see you still care. You'll find your own way. I'm an ex-elder and disassociated almost 7 years ago. I wrote a book "Your Future Religion", you might want to read it. You can find the details posted on this website in the "Friends" section. Let me know if you have an interest. There is no "right" religion - it's whatever you feel you need or want at the time. God doesn't care what you choose - it's up to you - if you even choose anything.

Always Love,

Clarke

• LB
    LB

I will never again attend the meetings of any religion. Ever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit