ANYONE JOINED A NEW RELIGION?

by Mary 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I'm really interested to know that there are still 'Russellites' out there!!! Three generations ago my relitives got hooked on Russell's books and have stayed with the mainstream religion (funny to call the JW's that!) ever since, though I suspect more in spite of the organisation than because of it. I suspect that my grandmother was always happier reading her old Russell books than the modern WT.

I suspect they see the problems in the WTS as the effect of the evil slave on honest hearted and god directed men. Obvioulsy, I took a different view and determined that the modern WT bares no real resemblence to what Russell developed.

Just one question, there's a group of people around the world who have a strong bible based belief structure but claim to have no collective name and no central organisation (they refer to each other as 'the friends' I think). The women often wear no make-up, wear long dressess and long hair (as a head-covering I beleive). They meet two or three times a week for bible meetings in people's homes. I think they've been called 'Koonie-ites' (that's what it sounds like anyway). As far as anyone knows, does this group have any Russelite connections, or is it the same (or related to) group Ray Franz now associates with?

I've taken a more secular humanist view of the world (to borrow a terms from one of the online religion tests!). I couldn't take up a religion, but I don't have a problem with others having faith either.If people are happy with their religious and lifestyle choiuces, good for them. If they're not, there's plenty of info and help out there to help them readjust their choices if they choose to.

Cheers, Jon

• finnrot
    finnrot

Religion is a crutch for the weak and scared. It is the ultimate fear of death and what goes beyond, that has people on their knees begging and groveling to the vast emptyness up in the sky. And for those that say that they relish the idea of death, that they can't wait to be with their loveones up in heaven, well, bully for you. If you squeeze your eyes and pray really hard, you will be able to keep the fantasy alive, at least in your mind.

If mankind doesn't destroy itself in the next thousand years, I'm certain all the different Gods that we worship around the world today, will be considered as footnote of a supersticous people who had just began to crawl into the nuclear era.

God bless,

-fin

• alfie
    alfie

Since we've left WTBS, my wife and I have occasionally talked of attending a church as opposed to joining one. I know that my wife would benefit from some more interaction with people outside of our family, and is more keen on the idea of getting to know new folks and I will support any decision she makes,whereas i'm quite comfortable just getting reaquainted with our families.

The best advice we got so far is from my mom who is very active in her church and who is ecstatic that we are no longer witnesses. She suggested that even if we never set foot in another religious institution, we should try to maintain our spirituality. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

• RR
    RR
  • RR
    RR
  • Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I don't think I'll ever join another religion. I don't know if I believe in anything anymore. I'm very uncertain. I'm agnostic now.

• Lin
    Lin

When I first left the org, I wanted nothing to do with anything religious or spiritual, just hearing people talk about God or Jesus etc made me angry. Then in 2000 I began attending a nondenominational church in Richardson Texas, and even joined the choir. But, when I was approached and asked if I'd consider teaching a sunday school class, I ran as fast as I could. Although pressure wasn't intended, that was my reaction. I couldn't get to my car fast enough! I haven't been back since.

I'm at a place now where I don't know if I'll ever "join" another church, but I do know the religions where the minister/pastor prances around the stage, pounding on the podium, yelling at the audience, the speaking in tongues stuff, no way.......no how.....will I go to those. I've listened to a christian radio station while in the car, but I don't know if I'll ever find a church that I'd feel right about. Being born and raised a jw, ain't no one gonna control my mind ever again.

I'm curious.....I've never heard anything about Ray Franz being associated with any group at all, since leaving the org. So what's this about? Where can I find information about this?

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

no,no,no,no,no,no,never again i agree with ss.i joined reality. better yet got back to reality.way to much hurt and anger over the jws to join any organised religon again.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I joined the Zion Lutheran Church in 1988 only because we were getting married and fiance' was a member. Denouced that faith in 1994.......to "dubbish" for me.

I have gone to a non denomination church occasionally.......just to check things out. I just can't do it though. Can't join, can't become a member. I have two children baptized lutheran (request of the father) and one baptized catholic (request of the father again).

My church is my back 40! "My" church is great......always open and very quiet. Most beautiful church around!

• Undecided
    Undecided

I went to a little non-demonational church for about a year with my wife, who is a christain. It was interesting to meet the people and observe the way they felt about God. It was more of a social structure than any thing else. There were little groups who wanted to control the activities of the church and they finally left along with the pastor. We quit going when my wife saw through the whole social cliques deal. I went just to satisfy her and observe first hand what church was like. I don't think any religious group has any idea of what God really is.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit