ANYONE JOINED A NEW RELIGION?

by Mary 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

For those who have left the Organization, have any of you gone to another church? Or did being a JW simply turn you off religion altogether. I feel I would like to still belong to a religious group (that's just in my personality) but of course, I would feel really guilty at first going in to "Babylon the Great".

• ISP
    ISP

Nope........its all make believe.

ISP

• RR
    RR

Well, I didn't leave and then join another religion, I left BECAUSE I joined another religion. Although the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. I now serve with the Bible Students, these are the ones who separated from the Watchtower after C.T. Russell died.

• mann377
    mann377

please don't view religion as an insurance policy.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

RR.

I hope youre kidding . I went and visited the Berean Bible Institute here in Melbourne myself. So I'll ask you the question I wanted to ask them. How do you justify Russells entire prophecy interpretation as being fallacious? The guy wrote, what, 7 major books? 3 of them are totally invalid. A Curious mind wants to know.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I haven't rejected God, but rather man-made hypocrisy and rules. I don't want to ever put myself in a situation where someone else has the control over my mind and emotions like the Witnesses did.

• KKLUV155
    KKLUV155

It took me about 9 years to even attempt to step into another religions building and was scared I was going to be attacked by demons. My step daughter asked me about 2 years ago to go to a new church with her b/c she was looking for one herself. I decided to go and see for myself if I were going to be attacked. We went to a non-denominational church (affiliated with Assembly of God Church). I loved it. No one dressed like a beauty contest. All casual. And no demons attacking me. Just down to earth people. Friendly, welcoming people. It has now been almost 2 years. I am on the choir, work in the nursery. I got baptised as a christian in December. I am very happy with were I go now.

kkluv

• Scully
    Scully

I've done a lot of reading and thinking over last few years since I left the JWs. At first, I was plagued with the question that JWs inevitably ask: "Where else is there to go??" It was almost as though it was an expectation that you HAD to go somewhere else to worship if you left The Truth(tm). The last thing I wanted for myself or my family after we left the JWs was to jump feet first into another "church" or "religion" without thoroughly investigating it. I didn't want to leave one "cult" only to get sucked in by another one. I wanted to find out who I was as a spiritual person, without a set of rules or a framework to lock me inside, and then decide what kind of spirituality felt "right" for ME.

I read some about Eastern philosophies, and even studied Judaism for a while (which is more like JWs than they care to admit). None of it felt "right". Doing nothing other than living my life the best way I could felt "right". If there is a "god", surely the best I can offer is to use the life I have to be a good person, to help others, and to teach my children to make the best of their talents and gifts so that they can do the same some day. If that's not "good enough" for "god", then "god" can STICK IT.

At this point in my life, I'm not sure whether I even believe that God exists, and I'm leaning more and more toward the idea that there is no "god" per se, beyond each person's ability to be loving and compassionate with others.

I'm quite comfortable with that idea, too. Not believing in "god" hasn't made me a horrible person the way JWs believe it does. I take responsibility for my own decisions, I teach my kids about responsibility and consequences for their actions, without having to resort to "behave if you want to make Jehovah happy/be in the Paradise" yada yada yada.

Anyway, that's just my two cents' worth (Canadian currency).
    Love, Scully

• Tzu
    Tzu

I joined a charasmatic church with my husband about a year after leaving. It was a wonderful experience. But various chat sites on the net regarding the Bible etc, have done a lot of damage now to my faith in the BIble. I still believe in God as our creator etc, but am very confused about Him these days. And not having the Bible to rely on to describe Him and understand Him, makes Him even more mysterious than He ever was. It is not a nice place to be, and so at the moment, I am concentrating on information that will hopefully build my faith in the fact that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Not the easiest thing to prove really. And of course like many others, I am very fearful of being under the control ever again of mere human's.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have gone to several non-denonimational churches, and I think if I were ever to go back to a somewhat regular basis, that is what I would do. Much more relaxed, and accept people as they are. No stuffy suits, no one trying to up another, and here is a change: people actually look like they are enjoying going! No one makes anyone do anything, therefore, everyone there is there because they want to be. How refreshing!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit