My First Rock Concert....

by TheSurvivor 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Hey Scarlet - Pearl Jam rocks - I'd luv to see them.

Yeah, concerts are a blast - I saw Farside last night, along w/ some other rappers I've never heard of. I've never been into the hip-hop/rap culture cuz of it's message, but these guys were good. Definitely dig the beats and flows, just don't like the message and culture so much.

Just don't have much respect for so-called "artists" that can only talk about pimpin' da ho's, smokin' weed and guns. And the fact that Eminem is getting so many awards is utterly dispicable. That guy is SO lame. I think he's going to learn the hard way that it's not always cool to speak your mind.

• sOOner
    sOOner

IMHO R&R is Rock and Roll~

Personally my druthers were Sex~Drugs~and Rock&Roll

Of course I have passed the need to sedate myself with drugs.

If you can't FEEL you have nothing to feel guilty about~

(as in NOT being a dutiful JW)

It has a whole new meaning to JW's~ R&R (Rest and Recuperate)

Your strengths are needed for future recruits

I loved concerts.

I was trampled,drugged and otherwise had a blast.

sOOner

• jaded
    jaded

Can't pass up this topic. I absolutely LOVE rock concerts. Just saw Aerosmith and Kid Rock twice this past month and it was sooo much fun. No problem with the crowds at all. Also saw Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth this summer. Oh, and by the way, I'm 50. Makes me feel like a kid for a few hours. I do pay for it the next day, however. But it is worth it.

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

I've been to more concerts than I can count. Country, rock, rap, classical, I've been to them. Most all of them have been really great experiences and its very rare that I've had any problems with anythere. The only time I've even come close to having problems with anyone was at a 18+ Everclear show in Louisville, KY when some high school kids snuck in and were acting like they owned the place but that didn't last long and it was still one of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever been to.

As for who some of the absolute best artists I've ever seen - Everclear (2 times and backstage 1), Smashing Pumpkins (4 times and backstage 1), U2 (3 times and met Bono before 1), Weird Al Yankovic (1 time and I've never laughed so hard in my life, backstage after the show he was really nice) and front row at a Pearl Jam concert (2 times, only one was front row, the other was 10th).

Honorable mention goes to KISS and Elton John. I don't really like their music that much but I do have to hand it to them that they really know how to work the crowd and put on a good show.

Absolute worst was Nelly. The stage was pathetic, I've been to country concerts with more bass, and all it the entire was was Karoke night with the original singer doing the songs. Even though I didn't pay to go to that concert I still felt ripped off because I'll never be able to get my time back that I wasted there. Just for the record, I do like his songs that you hear on the radio but seeing him live was horrible.

Dishonorable mention goes to Tim McGraw. Decent show and everything but the night I saw him the sound was horrible. If it weren't for that it would have been a decent show.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My first concert was way back in 1976. Cat Stevens came to town and my friend and I went ALONE! I was barely 14 but it was a magical moment for me. The next year or so Cat Stevens converted to Islam and changed his name to Yusef Islam. He destroyed all of his original records. Here's a picture of what he looks like today.

• jack2
    jack2

I've never seen Nugent, but I have been at a few concerts in my day; I started going in 1976; my most recent was in early October. After several concerts and a good number of years of listening to my music a bit too loudly at home, I now wear earplugs when I attend a concert.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember my first rock concert. Genesis. They seemed harmless enough. Great show, but about half way into it, Phil Collins does this intro thing into "House by the Sea"(I think thats the name). If I remember right, the song is about a haunted house. Collins has all the lights turned off except for a flashlight he shined up into his face and he started this seance(sic) kinda thing. He wanted to call the spirits into the coliseum by having everybody raise their arms and go "wooooo" or some type nonsense. I nearly freaked. I thought we were gonna get demonized for sure. Looking back on it, it really was silly how I reacted. But it didn't stop me from concerts though. I have lost count of the shows I have seen, in coliseums, arenas and nightclubs. The nightclub shows are usually the best, unless it's somebody like U2.

• butalbee
    butalbee

What I wouldn't give to see Phil Collins in concert.

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    The nightclub shows are usually the best, unless it's somebody like U2.

The bigger the U2 show the better. I didn't get to see them on their Zoo TV tour but saw them once on the Pop Mart tour when they were playing huge football stadiums (as in around 40,000-60,000 people) and twice on the last tour. The last one was in mid sized arenas (~20,000 people) where basketball teams usually play. They had a basic stage and heart shaped walkway with around 300 people in the middle of it (I was in the middle twice, Lexington and St. Louis). It was kind of neat in that they were more into the music and that's about it. The Pop Mart tour you really felt like you got every dollar worth of your ticket though. I paid more for that concert but would gladly do it again. They had the biggest video screen in the world at the time, a huge lemmon shaped disco ball that they came out of for the encore, a long walk way out into the audience, and more lights and other effects than I've ever seen in my life. A lot of people made fun of all the excesses of that tour but even though I absolutely love U2 and their music they put on a just unbelievable show/experience if you accept is that and not just a concert. I may have had more fun at other concerts but never have I been as impressed as I was with what I saw that night, especially since I was only about 30 feet from the center of the stage and in the middle of the floor. It was just any amazing experience.

Oh yeah, just to make things even better, I met my wife that night too! I really should have just bought a lottery ticket that night because I would have won and that's the only thing that could have made the whole experience even better.

• LB
    LB

I've seen Ted Nugent in concert and met him at an archery show. He certainly has opinions doesn't he and isn't afraid of being politically incorrect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit