My First Rock Concert....

by TheSurvivor 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor

Now in my 40's I went to my first and most probably LAST rock concert last night. I took the wife and kids (if you can still call them that with the youngest taller than me) to see the "Motor City Madman....Ted Nugent. I guess that I am just NOT the rock and roll type. Gee, can you imagine that? <G> The main reason I wanted to go, was because I like the man, and his views. There were several highlights......he dedicated one song to the Army Navy Air force Marines and all our soldiers in uniform, then he dedicated the next song to the "armed forces," which he said were "YOU AND ME!" He then told about how his next song was about the terrorists of the world.....Osama, Saddam, Janet Reno, Jesse Jackson, and others that wanted to take away his guns. I just loved how he grouped Reno and Jackson in with the terrorists. I believe the songs name was "You Can Kiss My Ass." He then got out his compound bow and shot an arrow right into the heart of a life size photo of Saddam from all the way across the stage. (He is VERY good with a bow.) Then since he as on a roll, (the crowd was almost in a frenzy at this point) he went on to say that Reno was Saddams wife, and that yes, she was a whore. God, Guns and Rock and Roll (the tittle of his book)...yeah, that about covered it. <G> Oh and one more thing I thought was very funny.....we were there before the doors opened, and there was a LONG line that we were near the front of. This big mean looking "lady" with SECURITY written across the back of her shirt, comes out with a bull horn and says...."There are no guns, knives, or weapons of any kind allowed inside.....NOW WILL THOSE WITH CAMERAS OR VIDEO RECORDERS TAKE THEM BACK TO YOUR CAR NOW." Maybe I was the only one, but it sure sounded to me like the they HAD to make the announcement about the weps.....but they were more concerned about cameras. <G> BTW, they let me in with my big 'Ole mean Leatherman tool right there on my belt.....we won't mention what was in my pockets. <G>

BTW, some comments about the crowd.....For one thing, it looked like about 98 percent of them were related. And if this crowd was any indication of what society might be like if and when the poop hits the oscillator, people like this will get about one step beyond my fence and locked gate with the BIG sign that reads " ABSOLUTELY NO TRESPASSING!....."A prudent man forseeth the evil and hideth himself; But the simple pass on, and are punished." Then they will be punished. There were of course some nice people there. But it seemed the majority were stoned or drunk out of their minds, stepping on your feet, spilling beer all over, standing right in front of your seat, throwing up in garbage cans, and just being rude in general. I almost had to take one creep down when he came up to my youngest (he's almost 16) and for some unknown reason took a dislike to him. (probably because he was openly looking at this drunken dirty creep with disgust.) I quickly stepped between them (with an almost total stranger....he was setting beside me, and was one of the more "normal" people there....backing me up) This guy in my opinion was way to gone to hear anything I might say, so I just gave him my practiced "don't screw with me" look, and put my finger in his face and then toward the door.....I must say my face really worked good, and he shrunk away not to return. But trust me, it would have been no match....he could hardly stand up as it was....one good push and he would have went flying. <G> All I can say was that it was an interesting experience, and that considering how bad my ears were ringing afterward, I should have taken my Com-Tac hearing protectors. No shit.....as Ted (the CraveMan) was fond of saying.

TheSurvivor....born enslaved, now living free. <G>

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

The thing that is so goddamn funny about this, is that it is all true. I saw Nuge last year in Lansing, where he strolled out on stage riding an enourmous Buffalo, shreiking about Jesse Jackson, Bin Laden, Janet Reno, and some guys hat, to a mulleted, bucktoothed, camoflauged audience all wearing nasty Biker T shirts and leather.

Did I go to hear Cat Scratch Fever? Nope! I went to see the most jacked-up group of people I will ever lay my eyes on. It was a riot.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Survivor,

Glad you had a good time. This was one experience you won't forget! That's one thing I've never done my entire life, was go to a Rock Concert. I've always heard about what goes on, and that you are lucky if you get to even see or hear the performers, there is just so much partying going on right in the audience. Considering the price, I just never went.

As you know we have the Nissan Pivilion right next door here. Just a couple weeks ago, one of the lead performers in an up and coming band was found dead in the big travel van, right outside of Holiday Inn. Everyone was quite freaked out over it. We probably have lots of celebrities right under our noses here, and just don't recognize them most of the time.

I'm certain, when you stood up, all 6' 2", and gave "that facial look", it spoke a thousand words! The look that says: "I don't take @#$% off nobody", and the stance to go along with it, they would be a fool to push the issue with you, that's for sure. It was nice that someone else, a total stranger came to your defense.

These kinds of things are so "eye opening". (By the way, can you still "hear"?)

Sentinel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey guys,

I'm a Nuge fan too! I learned a few years ago to always stuff hearing protectors in my ears when I'm at a concert. One of my favorites is The Gorge in George, Washington (I'm not making this up - it's an outdoor amphitheater in the high desert of central Washington State right on the edge of the Columbia River gorge). I saw KISS with Ted Nugent a few years back, and another time saw the B52s there also. Years ago I caught The Tubes when they appeared at the Paramont in Seattle during their farewll tour, and I really did see Spinal Tap at the Paramont too! (I am not hallucinating!!)

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 7 September 2002 12:6:33

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I am glad you had fun! I remember my first rock concert (way back when) was ACDC! Talk about a culture shock...........going to the convention site to listen to the dubs, and then the next year watching ACDC! Sure opened my eyes! LOL

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

THE TUBES - "White Punks On Dope"

Teenage - had a race for the night time
    Spent my cash on every high I could find
    Wasted time in every school in L.A.
    Getting loose, I didn't care what the kids say

We're white punks on dope
    Mom & Dad moved to Hollywood
    Hang myself when I get enough rope
    Can't clean up, though I know I should
    White punks on dope
    White punks on dope

Other dudes are living in the ghetto
    But born in Pacific Heights don't seem much betto

Mom & Dad live in Hollywood
    I can't clean up, though I know I should
    White punks on dope
    White punks on dope

I go crazy 'cause my folks are so f*cking rich
    Have to score when I get that rich white punk itch
    Sounds real classy, living in a chateau
    So lonely, all the other kids will never know

Mom & Dad live in Hollywood
    Can't clean up, though I know I should
    White punks on dope
    White punks on dope

• TheSurvivor
    TheSurvivor

Yeah, that crowd was something else. I was beginning to wonder if there was a full set of teeth in the entire house. At one point I leaned over and asked my wife how 'Ole Nuge must feel.....going from an audience of screaming barely clothed teens who all "want him," to a toothless biker crowd that he would not want to touch with a ten foot gun. <G> I think the "normal" ones that were there were ones like me, who just went to see him in person and hear first hand some of the stuff he says. I mean, don't ya just have to love a guy who comes on the morning talk shows to talk about his new cookbook......"Ya can't grill it, 'till ya kill it." But I really admire the guy. He is a true entertainer. He comes out on the stage as the "Motor City Madman," then goes home to his wife and kids, to hunt on his farm, and lead a life that is probably more conservative than mine. (he did have some wild days in the past though) His book "God Guns and Rock and Roll" IMHO was really good.

TheSurvivor

• truman
    truman

Hi Survivor,

I too am in my forties, and recently attended my first rock concert. My 23 year old son was happy to share his favorite band with his mother, so we went to a 'TOOL' concert. I had cultivated a liking for the music for a couple of months before going so I would be familiar with it, and found that I actually liked their music very much. It is quite an experience going to something like that, and I expected to be the oldest one there. But surprisingly enough, there were a number of us older teenagers there, even whole families.

My experience was fantastic. The band was absolutely incredible, and I saw no trouble with the crowd, with the exception of a jam-up getting out the door when it was over. Other than that everyone seemed pretty cool. I was worried about the sound levels, but found I really liked feeling the whole building rock, and being totally immersed in feeling the music. No ear plugs for me!

In some ways it is a little strange doing these things so far into life's journey, but I say I am ready to enjoy things now, that I have gotten rid of the mind control, and can really taste life.

truman

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

don't get me started on rock concerts. I LOVE THEM! I started going when I was in Bethel - the first being Hootie and the Blowfish, then Everclear with Fuel and another band...then...hmmm...oh. VAN HALEN! That was a sweet show. Since then I've seen a ton of bands, my favorites being Dave Matthews, STP and Lenny Kravitz. I saw Metallica at the Giants stadium, again, while in Bethel. (I was such a rebel - skipped out early from work, caught a bus to NJ and saw METALLICA. hahaha) It's all about the music for me, though. Music is SO MUCH BETTER live.....

I'm more into the House/Techno scene now though. And I'm taking a jazz class at a local community college. It's nice being free from the mind control and not having to worry about my music collection stumbling someone. geez.....my parents were SO strict on music - i had to hide anything that had any sexual or "demonic" conotation (sp?) to it. My Led Zepplin albums were bringing demons into the house - true Jimmy Page did practice black magic, but I never felt in difference with the albums in or out of the house. oh well.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

back2dafront My first concert was also Hottie and The Blowfish. I sat in the 3rd row. It was awsome. I now go to as many as I can. I have seen Pearl Jam, STP, Jimmy Buffet, Offspring, Social D, Blink 182, Aerosmith, & Bad Religion.

Edited by - Scarlet on 8 September 2002 18:47:9

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit