Candace Conti Settles

by Nitty-Gritty 204 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@LisaRose

but my feeling is that you don't risk innocent children, ever.

I think that is pretty much everyone's feeling, that's why when people accuse the elders of not caring, I find that hard to believe. With the same token I find it hard to believe that the JW org would deliberately put policies in place that would put children at risk.

• azor
    azor
    @wannaexit. Nitty stated earlier in this thread that the "only one that would put my children at risk would be me or my husband". Unless they have adopted as a gay couple nitty is a she. I know it's pretty shocking how callous cults can make even mothers. Talk about going against nature.
  • azor
    azor

@ Nitty whether intentional or not the wt. policies put children at risk. The 2 witness rule and policy of calling headquarters for direction rather than calling the police shows that the orgs concern is not for the victims but rather their pocket books. All high control male dominated groups have greater problems with paedophilia.

I was an elder for nearly a decade and fortunately for the paedophile creeps never had to face a situation like this. I told the other men on the body that if something like this ever came up they better not let me know about it as I would likely take the a##hole out myself.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@Listener how honest do you think the elders and JWs were throughout this case?

I am not saying a JW is not capable of lying, but in this case, no JW or elder had anything to lose by saying the truth, so why would they lie?

• azor
    azor

They would have to lie if mother told them to. It's called theocratic warfare.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To put it bluntly, I do not believe Candace was molested by Kendrick. Of course I might be wrong, but who of you can say you are categorically right?

You have to apply some rational thinking , would Candace go this far involving the law and the court system all based from nothing ?

Her testimony sounded pretty truthful if you ever heard her explain what happened.

She pursued the situation because she was outraged that the elders from the Hall where JK came from gave no warning to the elders of the Hall to where Candace was.

In a matter fact praised JK for being great with children instead.

It was the irresponsible way the elders from both congregations conducted themselves that was so egregious and the courts saw it that way as well making the WTS liable.

There have been other situations in California where the WTS was sued for the very same reason.

Part of the problem is the way the WTS/JWS organization handles or has been handling situation of pedophilia. ie. two witness rule, shush shush policy to protect more of the image of the organization than anything else.

It hasn't been enough and people like JK exploited what was there to their own advantage.

• Listener
    Listener

Nitty Gritty -

I am not saying a JW is not capable of lying, but in this case, no JW or elder had anything to lose by saying the truth, so why would they lie?

What are you talking about, they had nothing to lose? They lost the case.

The very reason they don't handle abuse cases properly is because they put the interests of the organization ahead of the interests of the child.

Their were two main incentives to lie - to protect the organization and to win the case.

Now that you have at least two reasons as to why they would lie, do you think that they did?

• azor
    azor

These men do despicable things believing they are doing good. As an example having 3 men meet with a young baptized girl in her teens about some misstep with a boy. That is horrific and abusive. I have been involved with judicial committees similar to that as it is very common. Do I trust these uneducated untrained men? Should anyone? They are not psychologist or counselors. Yet they sit in judgement of others in their little star chambers. The accused with no representation next to them.

This is the system you are defending Nitty. A mother that is on this site and visited sites like jwfacts that continues to defend it and expose children to this cult is simply astonishing. It takes a special kind of CD to to accomplish that. If I knew even a tenth if what I now know there is no way I could be a part of it.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@azor policy of calling headquarters for direction rather than calling the police shows that the orgs concern is not for the victims but rather their pocket books.

That does not make any sense at all. If it was their pocket books the headquarters were bothered about, then it would be in their interest to leave each congregation to make autonomous decisions. In that way, if bad decisions were made, the headquarters would hold no responsibility at all. Then Candace and others would be suing the elders and the congregations, not headquarters. And guess how much money they would be able to get from individuals and little congregations?

Sometimes I think that opposers have lost all their common sense and logical thinking on their journey out of the WT.

P.S. I repeat again, no one is stopping anyone from going to the police.

• azor
    azor

Again you show your limited knowledge. The JW's did start out as a congregational structure where each church was loosely affiliated with the other. Watchtower has become an ecclesiastical one throughout the 20th century. Headquarters appoints the elders throughout the world and dictate how they proceed. Thus they are liable for their actions.

Are your children young or grown?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit