Do JWs eat fat?

by scooter 46 Replies latest jw friends

• meat pie
    meat pie

This is a very interesting point.

I questioned an elder about it once and he said it meant, as in 'The fatty pieces' meaning the best bits. I haven't got my Bible to hand, but I think it refers to the fat around the kidneys, which I pointed out in an answer I gave that anyone who has butchered an animal knows this is suet, hard fat. Also there is a reference to 'the appendage on the liver'. Likewise cut out a liver and you'll find a nasty greenish appendage, the gall bladder. Cats usually leave this bit when they eat mice.

'Thankyou for that' Was the reply from the platform.

Strange but true.....

I still like liver and onions.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Can I just say there is some confusion here with the mention of hemoglobin. The witnesses do not allow Haemoglobin under any circumstances and never have done. It is the main oxygen carrying constituent of the red blood cells and if it was allowed (even on it's own as a fraction) would render meaningless any no-blood policy the witnesses have.

There have been numerous other threads on which fractions have been allowed and disallowed over time but haemoglobin isn't one of them. The Hemopure (bovine fractions) is another story totally seperate.

Just thought I would straighten this out as it is important.

Thanks.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Meat Pie... I just this second finished eating fried liver and onions!!!

• blondie
    blondie

June 15, 2000 WT Questions from Readers page 31

The article names the primary components of blood as being 1) red cells; 2) white cells; 3) platelets; 4) plasma serum, the fluid part.

Blood can be processed beyond that point. Plasma (primary component 4) contains albumin, clotting factors, and antibodies. Clotting factor VIII (a blood fraction of the primary component 4) has been given to hemophiliacs.

Gamma globulin (a blood fraction of the primary component 4), extracted from people who already have immunity, can be injected into people who have been exposed to the same disease to prevent infection.

"The other primary components (red cells, white cells, platelets) can be processed into smaller parts."

Hemoglobin is a fraction, a smaller part of red blood cells. Hemopure and similar products are defined as hemoglobin-based.

In addressing the question of the blood being poured out the article says, "to prepare gamma globulin, blood-based clotting factors, and so on, requires that blood be collected and processed. Hence some Christians reject such products...their...conscientious stand should be respected. Other Christians decide differently..." then they refer the reader to the June 1, 1990, WT giving the example of the transfer of blood fractions between mother and child.

"Some Christians may conclude that since blood fractions can pass to another person in this natural setting (pregnant woman to her child), they could accept a blood fraction derived from blood plasma or cells."

So it is up to the individual Witness if they choose to be treated or not with "a blood fraction derived from blood plasma or cells."

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Ballistic,

Can you tell ma what you mean, specifically? I researched Hemopure back when my father became ill. It is indeed made from Cattle Red Blood Cell that have been ultra-purified and processed then mixed with a salt solution.

Are you saying that this article that I referenced is untrue? Thanks in advance. dj

• DJ
    DJ

Blondie,

Ok, now I am totally confused! That sounds to me like they are saying that no fraction is forbidden. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something...I am pms'd today>>>LOL. You can tell by my response to Curyus today. Last summer, when my dad got sick, my dub sister had to have a long meeting with the HLC to learn what fractions were acceptable and which ones weren't. Does that article you posted lead you to believe than anything goes or should I get some sleep????? love, dj

• ballistic
    ballistic

DJ, my point was not about Hemopure.

Only haemoglobin from other humans which is not allowable.

• ballistic
    ballistic

There's an interesting article up at Watchtower observer on blood:

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=WO&Date=20020123&Category=JWANDMEDICINE2&ArtNo=201220009&Ref=AR'%20URL-Frame='_blank

DJ, it's not suprising you're confused. The blood policy has altered so much, I don't think anyone knows where they stand. Worse than that, people are dying for it.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Ballistic,

I understand all too well what you are saying. Go here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=34889&site=3

love,dj

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Balistic several people have pointed out that in fact only four compnents are forbidden so long as the conscience of the person allows, in other words there are only four components that are forbidden. I dont need to say eating rice is allowd if your conscience provides, it is just more doubletalk cover up.

DJ I see no difference between JWism hypocricies or contradictions with the bible, and those of the bible itself. The bible is literally full of dangerous contradictions that if taken literally can get someone murdered. Read Duet 22 for a good example.

Edited by - Hyghlandyr on 31 August 2002 18:0:38

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit