Do JWs eat fat?

by scooter 46 Replies latest jw friends

• scooter
    scooter

Reading some of the recent posts on the blood issue reminded me of a verse that I have never yet had a JW explain. LEV 3:17 in the NWT reads " It is a statute to time indefinite for your generations, in all your dwelling places: You must not eat any fat or blood at all."

JWs use other verses to try and show that we mustn't eat blood as = having a blood transfusion. So why not use this one to say we mustn't eat fat?

Do JWs eat fat?

• blondie
    blondie

At first I thought this read "do JWs eat FAST" which they do. Have to get back out in the ministry. And they eat fat too.

Scooter, I see where you might be taking this. The problem with this tactic might be that JWs then turn to Acts 15 which mentions only blood and not the fat, letting Christians know which principles of the Law code carried over into the Christian life. They had initially been discussing whether Gentile Christians had to be circumcised as the Law code directed.

**I have been using the hemoglobin-based products (Hemopure, etc.) that are now allowed by JWs as a way to sow doubts. These products are made with outdated "stored" human blood and cow's blood that has not been poured out either. If you didn't store this blood, how could you make the product?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Blondie,

You mentioned Hemopure-like products being allowed by the WTS. Is this in a WT or at the WT website?

Pat

• dsgal
    dsgal

scooter,

If jws were not allowed to eat fat how could they take all those breaks at Mickey D's?

blondie,

My car group never ate fast;the slower you eat,the more time you can count.

• blondie
    blondie

Patio, there is a QFR (6/15/00 p 29-31) that says that minor fractions of blood (of which one is hemoglobin) is allowed if your conscience permits. Hemopure and such products are hemoglobin based.

Do I think many JWs are aware of this? No, but I am sure that the bigwigs in NY are for their own personal benefit.

I called the local Hospital Liaison Committee (local brothers who are briefed by the WTS to work with hospitals/doctors) when this article came out, and they verified that if it is approved by the FDA and your conscience permits it, these products can be used by JWs without fear of reprisal.

• blondie
    blondie

dsgal, I was making a little joke. I have to post that funny smiley, tone of voice doesn't transfer here very good.

• blondie
    blondie

Here's an article on artficial blood and JWs.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/767803.asp?cp1=1

• scooter
    scooter

Blondie, thanks for the info. Yes they could turn to Acts 15. But my point is that this is Jehovah commanding people not to eat any fat or blood "for time indefinite." They use Lev. 7:26-27 quite freely. I'm just interested to know if anyone stopped (or tried to stop) eating fat because of Lev 3:17. ??

• Solace
    Solace

I have also brought this up to my J.W. family when discussing the blood issue. If the bible says abstain from blood and fat, why arent they also abstaining from fat?

They usually have no valid reason as to why they dont abstain from fat. Their response is usually something along the lines of, "Oh, we dont take that part literal" and Im usually saying something like, "Soooooooo, why do you take the blood portion literal?"

I guess they only take literal what the society tells them is literal at the time.

• Europe
    Europe

Funny, I just asked a JW yesterday where it was written in the bible that one should not celebrate birthdays, neither smoke, etc.etc. and his answer was..:"there is nowhere written "You cannot celebrate Christmas" or "You cannot smoke" or "You cannot take drugs" etc. But there are dozens of verses telling you that you should not pollute your body willingly, should keep your body clean, should not risk your health willingly, etc."

Strange answer from a guy that is so young and already overweighed cause he eats too many Big Mag's, pizza's etc. and doesnt do any exercise!

But hey, I'm getting used to their double standards!!:-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit