Where did you turn?

by NobodyOfInterest 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

Such information only allows people to post off-topic and not answer the questions at hand.
    Few of us have such tunnel vision these days that we will answer anything as we are told to do.

Back when I was questioning the truth I was always told where else can you go? I would usually respond what makes you think the truth exists anywhere? I mean with the society the truth changes so often it is difficult to keep up.

However, for one reason or another, they will never become Jehovah's Witnesses themselves.
    and therein lies the rub. So many witnesses say it's just so obvious that it's the truth. You appear to be one of them. So obvious. It's easy to see. Yet this is an effect of brainwashing. If you repeat something over and over, as in a mantra, it certainly can become obvious. The sky is green, the sky is green, why it's so obvious.

So the truth was given to Jehovah's Witnesses, yet the truth changes every year, yet the truth never changes.... but it's new light right? That explains the changes. New light makes old light a lie then doesn't it? So the truth becomes a lie???

So obvious?

Here's the deal my friend. It seems so obvious to me. Christ said the truth would be identified by what characteristic? By the love shown among the brothers right? How was this love displayed towards Bill Bowen in his quest to help molested children??? His only sin was to come forth publically with this information and for this he is disfellowshipped???

By the love. So we get back to this.

However, for one reason or another, they will never become Jehovah's Witnesses themselves
    You think maybe people recognize that love within the organization is pretty hard to find?
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hello, and welcome,

This is a common JW question, and the premise is based on two scriptures that are misrepresented by the organization.

First, John 6:68, which reads:" Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

Second, John 14:6 where Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me"

Read in contect, the truth is not information, it is a person, and that person is Jesus. The society continually quotes John 6:68 and applies it to the organization. The question asked by John was not where elses shall we go, but to whom.

Having the truth is not about having a set of doctrines down pat. God is not going to give you a pop quiz to determine if you are deserving of salvation. When you stand before your maker, you will stand as an individual, and cannot hide behind the skirts of the organization. Knowledge is not what will save you. Jesus said in John 5:39 " You diligently study the scriptures because you think that by them you will posess eternal life. These are the scriptures that testify about me, Yet you refuse to come to me to have life". John 17:3, often quoted by the organization is mistranslated to make it appear that knowledge is what gives you life. Look in your own interlinear, and you will find that it is knowing God and Christ that will give you salvation. The difference is huge. Knowing means having a personal relationship with God and Christ. Taking in knowledge is just retaining information. Example: I have a significant knowledge of Renoir, the artist. I will never know him, however. Knowing about someone and knowing them personally are two different things.

You will never impress God with how much you know. (or think you know) Personally, I think we're all in for enormous surprises. No one has all the answers. Thankfully, our lives don't depend on that. The Bible says that "knowledge puffs up. Love builds up" So, I concentrate on learning to show real love in every aspect in my life.

Personally, I have a relationship with God that was not possible when I relied on an organization for my answers. My relationship is one on one, no middle man. It was paid for by Christ, and no human can take that away. Not even the watchtower society.

cb

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nobody,

The whole concept behind the idea "if the JWs don't have the truth, then nobody has the truth," comes from a very narrow world view and mindset that is typical of JWs, and of a lot of Christians in general.

First, there is no TRUTH, as in the absolute sense. But there is truth, and that may be one of the first things a thinking person comes to realize when he leaves the Witnesses. Looking for the ABSOLUTE meaning of life as dictated by a supreme being is nonsense. We each create the meaning for our own life, be it trivial or profound.

Second, I also came to understand that the idea behind the question "but if the JWs don't have the truth, where else can I go," is based on that same narrow, childish view of the world. Another way of putting it is, "If what the JWs have told me about what to think and how to live is wrong, then who else can I turn to to tell me what to think, how to believe and how to live?" It's an immature reaction to life, trying to find some "big daddy" in the sky or in a church who will tell us how to live. Grow up. Learn to live on your own.

The secret is to start using your own thinking ability. Is god a trinity or one god? Well, there is no god. Is the soul mortal or immortal? Well, there is no seperate soul. When we die, we die. Is there hellfire or not? Of course not. Just as there are no angels or devils.

If you start doing some decent thinking and studying, you begin to understand that these questions have all the significance of what is the weight of Thor's hammer, or does Santa Claus live at the North Pole. They are silly little diversions from the task of living the life that is right before us.

S4

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hi,

Where did you turn?

Who wants to know?

Welcome to the board, but I also feel more comfortable replying to someone I have a clue about.

Dana (moseying thru the threads)

• Beans
    Beans

Welcome aboard!

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

I didn`t turn to any other religion, non are of any truth to me!

Beans

Canadian Overbeer

• Carmel
    Carmel

Leaving the JUU's is a complex even emotionally, socially, intellectually and "spiritually". For each of us the road less traveled is unique. For me, I've concluded that the dubbies got a couple things right including the idea that "hell" is metaphorical as it that of literal resurrection and even the trinity. Beyond that, there are many bifurcations I've taken in my belief systems including not limiting myself to the Christian mindset. I do not fall into the trap, however, of claiming, "all religion" it this or that or "no religion" is true. Any thinking person should see the limits of such absolute statements as they presuppose a person has experiance with "all" religions.

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

Nobody,

If you really want an answer, e-mail me and I'll share with you my thoughts which I prefer not putting on this forum as this is not the place for it.

carmel

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Nobody, I do not have my Watchtower....I can't underline the answers....

• Francois
    Francois

I have discovered that there is NO LOGIC to things of the spirit, as the JWs would have you believe. Transactions on the border of the material and the purely spiritual have a non-direct, non-linear, non-logicalness about them that is impossible to explain. You have to experience it. But first you have to prepare your mind. I suggest reading Lao Tzu's "The Tao Te Ching" in several translations before you make the attempt.

francois

• Analysis
    Analysis

Nobody

Are you going to respond to any of the issues raised in this thread?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit