Where did you turn?

by NobodyOfInterest 22 Replies latest jw friends

• NobodyOfInterest
    NobodyOfInterest

You may have heard someone say "If Jehovah's Witnesses don't have the truth, then there isn't any truth". In fact, some of you may have at one time been so convinced that you said that very statement yourselves.

Now you sing a different tune.

The following question is directed towards those who have left the organization, yet still agree with their stand on major doctrines such as (no) trinity, (no) hellfire, and who at one time clearly saw (and maybe still do) the paganism mixed into the popular holidays.....

Do you believe that "there isn't any truth" now, or did you turn to somewhere else for spirtuality?

And if you have turned somewhere else, have you had to accept doctrines that you don't believe in at all, just so you could have somewhere to go (i.e. compromise)?

You're honest reply will be most appreciated.

(BTW, if you now believe in trinity and the like, please do not reply, since the question is not directed towards you. Arguments over doctrine is not the desired result for this thread)

Thanx,

NobodyOfInterest

• scumrat
    scumrat

Seeing that this is your first post, Please identify yourself and give us some background information.

Scumrat

• Analysis
    Analysis

I have many times heard the question "Where will you go?" Jehovahs Witnesses use that question to condemn all other religions. Is this what you are attempting to do?

You will find on this board many who still attend the Kingdom Hall and I call them Nominal Jehovah's Witnesses, I would say that I am in that group because of my family ties. Others are atheists, some attend other small groups. I think some feel that their relationship with god is personal and does not require an organization.

I think it really gets down to, what your personal view towards the Bible and the God of the Bible. Then you will live your life based on that personal viewpoint.

I personally believe that the Bible is based on history. But, I really dont think it represents the "True Word of God." The Bible Cannon as we have it is not really what even the First Century Christians viewed as Holy Scriptures. First Century Christians used many other works.

So what is the bible?

One View go to

http://www.bibleufo.com/

For another read

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts

by Israel Finkelstein, Neil Asher Silberman (Hardcover - January 2001)

Who is God? If God is Love how do you explain what the Bible states he has done and will do to mankind? Or maybe the Bible is not really the complete Word of the God of Love.

Edited by - Analysis on 29 August 2002 16:55:11

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Hi Nobody,

Welcome to the board.

Your post is similar to many I have seen. JWs commonly use as proof of their religion being true their belief that they're the only ones who teach the truth about the trinity, hellfire [insert doctrine here]. Other religions must be false because they don't teach those doctrines.

Rather than defend these beliefs, or even investigate why most religions reject those doctrines, JWs use their exclusivity as proof that they and only they have the true religion. "Apostates" can be doubly demonised because not only have they rejected "Jehovah's organisation", they've gone back to believing what "apostate Christendom" teaches.

The Watchtower Society has admitted that those who study the Bible without their publications will come to believe what is taught by the majority of Christian religions rather than what JWs teach, but somehow uses this to claim that Watchtower publications are necessary aids to studying the Bible, rather than contradicting it.

• NobodyOfInterest
    NobodyOfInterest

Scumrat,

Such information only allows people to post off-topic and not answer the questions at hand.

I have an interest in what people in this situation do. Many people highly educated in Theology, Early Christian History, Hebrew and Greek, and related fields will come to the same conclusions that the Watchtower does concerning the trinity, hellfire, and much more (and likewise, many do not come to those conclusions at all).

However, for one reason or another, they will never become Jehovah's Witnesses themselves. And on the other side of the coin, there are those who were persuaded and/or convinced that the Watchtower had the correct view on such doctrines, yet for reasons that are their own, they have left the organization, though are still convinced of these teachings.

Seeing what people have done since...

A) There is no truth.

B) Turn to another religion.

... will help me in dealing with certain individuals I know personally.

- NobodyOfInterest

Edited by - NobodyOfInterest on 29 August 2002 17:1:54

• SYN
    SYN

Do you think Christianity is the real TRUTH, Nobody?

Because I don't.

• Analysis
    Analysis

Nobody, I think the first question was posted to you to get an idea where you were coming from with your question.

However we do have more then your two options!

Others are:

1. Continue to look for the truth
    2. Develop your own relationship with the Creator

Or; Live your life the best way you can with your current understanding of what is right and wrong. The Bible states if you know what is right and do not do it you are committing a sin.

If I get only one thing from the Bible it is that Jesus said to Love God and our Fellow Man. He showed us how to treat our fellow man with Love. I really do not think any organized religion does that, only people can.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Proverbs 2

• scumrat
    scumrat

Well said Analysis.

Thank You.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi no body of interest. Your post was of no interest to me.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit