Properly Understanding Genesis 3:14

by Yadirf 37 Replies latest jw friends

• little witch
    little witch

two important things to note.

1) most of the genisis stories were around long before genisis was written. example: the flood story and versions of it were noted in much older persian documents.

The Hammarabi Code is a much earlier version of the ten commandments, only it was more secular in nature.

2) The Hebrew language is limited to concrete thoughts. They simply had no words to describe abstract thoughts and ideas. That is why many stories in the bible are so colorful and symbolic.

to not understand this allows one to accept all kinds of wild interpretations on what the scriptures mean.

• Monster
    Monster

Oh i see where you are coming from now thatsucks. No I didn't mean it was correct I said, I have no way of disputing his interpretation for all I know it could be correct. But others can come along and use those same scriptures add a different interpretation and make it sound reasonable too. Unlike many of you I didn't pay attention at the meetings, or do the work. My goal was to make as much trouble as I could so I could be kicked out. I later got my way. Therefore I do not know the bible in the way all of you do I will admit someone saying they had an answer to a question like that did grab my attention.

Now I am waiting to see if anyone has a good answer for the question in the thread WTLies started. Another interesting one.

This is a great place to learn.

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding .

Peace James.

Edited by - monster on 29 August 2002 10:38:55

• Mary
    Mary

ALL SNAKES ARE SATAN IN DISGUISE!!!! That's why they look evil, are slimy, and are always ready to sneak up and bite your ass before you even know what's happened!!! heh-heh-heh.........

Actually, I've always had a problem with the ol' 'Satan used a serpent to deceive Eve'........I say NO WAY. How could ANYONE be "seduced" by an ugly, repulsive reptile??? Guys: who would you be more apt to be seduced by: Pamela Anderson or Rosanne Barr???

I had a professor of Religious Studies explain it to me once: he said that Satan (or Lucifer as he was known then), was in charge of sort of watching over Adam and Eve and the earth at that time, and he would have appeared to both of them, probably on several occasions. Ezekiel something describes cherabum as very beautiful creatures and I think there's a scripture somewhere that talks about how beautiful in appearance Lucifier was.

So we all know he becames greedy and wanted worship for himself, etc. etc., so he figures he can trick Eve into disobeying God. So if he appeared as himself (very attractive) and as a friend, someone Eve was familiar with, then she probably had total trust in him, and figured he knew best and would never do anything to harm her.

Makes alot more sense to me than the serpent story.

• gumby
    gumby

Mary:.. " I had a professor of Religious Studies explain it to me once: he said that Satan (or Lucifer as he was known then), was in charge of sort of watching over Adam and Eve and the earth at that time, and he would have appeared to both of them, probably on several occasions."

So the professor is speculating too correct? The bible never said he appeared to them, or that he was in charge of them.

You would think if the bible were God's word to us, he would'nt leave things open to speculation. You would think that God would know when people would read this thousands of years later this story would sound strange to our ears.......and it does!!!!!!!!!

The only difference your professor sees is, it wasn't a serpent.....but his story is still the same isn't it?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Friday,you write:"Satan had been privileged with the having oversight over the first man and woman.He being the covering or protecting cherub..I am of this peruasion"....I have a question..Do your believe you are one of the 144,000,or any other of the ruling class,for mankind,in the spirit world?...OUTLAW

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hmmm Nads Nads Nads,

Why would God have Satan be a snake??? Snakes are great reptiles that have skills you'd kill for. Ovioulsy, since Evolution is a fraud (to quote you), then God must have designed snakes with these fantastic hunting skills and abilities- not because they are somehow bad creatures and were cursed. Having no legs is meaningless- you attempt to identify 'lowely status' with no legs and slithering, but there are other reptiles that are not snakes and have no legs, lets not forget worms! So basicly, it comes down to some writer thinking of some bad creature to input and he remembers how his cousin Zach got bit on the ass by some snake and he says "Eureka!"

Sooo in short, once again we have YOU trying to figure out what GOD is doing and I hate to break it to you BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND GOD. You cant even get your '''''''' right.....

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    lets not forget worms!

LMAO! choking and once again wiping the coffee of my monitor

Now THAT would definitly make for a poor impression And ofcourse it wouldn't be "IN A TREE" hint hint...

Eve would have had to get down on her hands and knees with her ear to the ground to hear the worm.HAHAhahaha

"Uh..can you speak up I can't understand you"

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Yadirf,

How is Satan cursed? According to the teaching of your religion, he controls 99.9% of the world's population. Evil being that he is, he wants us all to be destroyed, Jehovah, on the other hand, apparently wants us all to be saved. Neither one will win outright, but who will come the closest?

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Derek,

How is Satan cursed? According to the teaching of your religion, he controls 99.9% of the world's population.

Satan once had the potential to enjoy an never-ending life. Now, due to his incorrigibleness, he is destined for destruction instead -- and his fate is irreversible. He really doesn't want his life to come to an end, he desperately wants to continue living, but of course upon on his own terms. I'd say that Satan is far from being *blessed*!

According to the teaching of your religion, he controls 99.9% of the world's population.

Satan's influence upon the world of mankind is ONLY because God tolerates it, having a specific reason for doing so. So the "control" that he wields is temporary, and short-lived as compared to the eons of time that Satan might have lived had he remained righteous.

Evil being that he is, he wants us all to be destroyed, Jehovah, on the other hand, apparently wants us all to be saved. Neither one will win outright, but who will come the closest?

As to how many of those who have had a taste of life will actually wind up losing it in the end remains to be seen. Ultimately that is each and every person's OWN decision, not Satan's. Too, insofar as the WTS's thinking that those who die at Armageddon will not be resurrected, I do not agree with their position. I believe that teaching will change, even as I think that the WTS is in need of making a number of other adjustments ... and WILL make. -- Daniel 11:35.

Friday

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Liberty says:

By the way, if you would study some biology you would find that many snakes still have vestial and visible rear legs used in breeding and in nearly all snake's pelvic girdles have vestial leg bones which are reduced and no longer visible from the outside. Snakes once had legs but EVOLVED to reduce them because they hunted their prey in narrow tunnles where legs became a hinderance.

Ha ha ha! You've obviously been reading far too many comic books, Liberty. Like the following one, for instance:

Perhaps the most obvious point about all snakes is that they are limbless, although some of the more primitive families posses a vestigial pelvic girdle, an indication of evolution from limbed reptiles. The pythons and boas possess such a pelvic girdle and, in addition, the vestiges of the hind limbs appear as "spurs" on either side of the cloaca. http://members.tripod.com/wellsking/Nathistory.htm#biology

What a fantasy! The author of that no doubt still believes in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause. Do YOU too?

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 30 August 2002 18:4:13

Edited by - Yadirf on 30 August 2002 18:6:51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit