Properly Understanding Genesis 3:14

by Yadirf 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

It was Satan that was cursed, NOT the snake!

If it was Satan then that the "curse" of Genesis 3:14 applied to rather than the serpent, then how is it that Satan has had to live his life since that day as if having to go upon his belly and eat dust?

The answer is arrived at by first considering the lowly state of this somewhat pitiful creature called the "serpent". Most earthly creatures are privileged with having legs. The birds even have wings in addition to legs. In comparison, the serpent appears to be a "cursed" little creature -- due to its having no legs. Unlike other creatures, which can run or fly to wherever they wish to go, a snake has no way to maneuver from place to place other than by wiggling along on its belly atop the ground. Not a very lofty existence! Too, because it is upon the ground where other creatures tread, the snake has to be particularly "cautious" (NWT) in order that it not get trampled upon.

Now let's consider a few things about the one that took advantage of this ALREADY disadvantaged creature, using it in a most dishonorable way -- that being for the purpose of accomplishing rebellion in the realm of mankind. Of course this was an angel, an angel that came to be known as "Satan" after this act. As a matter of fact, the Bible's giving Satan the title "Serpent" was as a consequence of Satan's use of the serpent. Now, it's important to consider Satan's STANDING prior to this dastardly deed if we are to understand the answer to the question quoted above.

And so what sort of a standing did Satan enjoy before he decided to rebel against God and to make his attempt at drawing the first two representatives of mankind into rebellion along with him? Of course ALL angels are of a higher order than ANY of the creatures God had created of the earthly sort. But, not only was Satan of a higher order of being, more importantly was the fact that he enjoyed God's approval. Having God's approval, he no doubt was regularly entrusted with many important things. Some even believe that on the basis of the language of Ezekiel 28:11-19 Satan had been privileged with having oversight over the first man and woman, he being the covering or protecting Cherub. I am of this persuasion myself.

And so we see that prior to Satan's deviation from righteousness he enjoyed a high degree of honor, as a person who practiced righteousness. But with that rebellion he lost ALL the honor that had previously been associated with his name, whatever that name might have been. So you see, Satan experienced a FALL in association with that incident in the Garden of Eden. He went from being a most honorable person among God's heavenly angels (likely even being of the high order of Cherubs) to a person who hit rock bottom. God stripped him of all the privileges and honor that he had enjoyed up to that point in his already lengthy life. Compared to his status prior to this deed Satan had now become "cursed" - - yes, status-wise, he had become just as LOW as a literal serpent's belly is to the ground. So, from the day he forfeited the prestige he once had amidst God's creation, Satan has had to live a life of dishonor, not having his Creator's respect -- which is like having to slither upon his belly against the lowly dust of the ground as one of the lowliest creatures in existence -- not unlike the little creature that had no legs that he so unfairly took advantage of.

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 29 August 2002 4:46:32

• robert
    robert

Where in the Genesis story of creation and the fall is there any mention of Satan? If we work on the assumption that the story means what it says, will we arrive at a traditional interpretation of it?

Robert

• Monster
    Monster
    Some even believe that on the basis of the language of Ezekiel 28:11-19 Satan had been privileged with having oversight over the first man and woman, he being the covering or protecting Cherub. I am of this persuasion myself.

I just finished reading that scripture. The part that gets me is all this symbolic language in the Bible. First it says ..The king of Trye ..Then it goes on to say "you were in Eden the garden of God"....Last the scriptures talk about a .......guardian Cherub..........Why not just be plain and say Satan?

And so we see that prior to Satan's deviation from righteousness he enjoyed a high degree of honor, as a person who practiced righteousness. But with that rebellion he lost ALL the honor that had previously been associated with his name, whatever that name might have been. So you see, Satan experienced a FALL in association with that incident in the Garden of Eden. He went from being a most honorable person among God's heavenly angels (likely even being of the high order of Cherubs) to a person who hit rock bottom. God stripped him of all the privileges and honor that he had enjoyed up to that point in his already lengthy life. Compared to his status prior to this deed Satan had now become "cursed" - - yes, status-wise, he had become just as LOW as a literal serpent's belly is to the ground. So, from the day he forfeited the prestige he once had amidst God's creation, Satan has had to live a life of dishonor, not having his Creator's respect -- which is like having to slither upon his belly against the lowly dust of the ground as one of the lowliest creatures in existence -- not unlike the little creature that had no legs that he so unfairly took advantage of.

Friday

Since you and everyone else here knows your bibles more than I will ever know mine I will take your word that, that's the correct answer. I have no way to dispute your interpretation of it, for all I know you could be correct.

Well thanks for the answer you had my goat there for a while..

I for get the person who first said, "Did the Devil lie" but that was good question you asked, ask another good question on the bible maybe I'll learn more :)

Peace James

Edited by - Monster on 29 August 2002 7:45:2

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

James said:

Since you and everyone else here knows your bibles more than I will ever know mine I will take your word that, that's the correct answer. I have no way to dispute your interpretation of it, for all I know you could be correct.

Let's dig into the inadvertant cult-speak loaded in this statement:

Hi. My name is James. I am glad to be in your cult. Thank you for the warm welcome.

• gumby
    gumby

a snake has no way to maneuver from place to place other than by wiggling along on its belly atop the ground. Not a very lofty existence.

Says who? You?

The snake is considered by many a wonderful creation.....not looked down upon. Ever watch the crocodile hunter?

Tell me Yadirf,

If God is Knows all before it happens, Why did he appoint Satan (in his prefallen state) to look after his creation......when he KNEW he would blow it!

Would you appoint someone to look after you kids... if you knew down the road.....they would die from what he did?

So God did it anyway. He saw satan (before he even made him) cause the downfall of mankind.....and continued on.

Don't give me the W.T. reasoning on this either about how Jehovah uses his foreknowledge selectively and chose not to know the final outcome. That is pure speculation and does not jive with Gods supposed abilities as the bible states.

• Monster
    Monster

Don't give me the W.T. reasoning on this either about how Jehovah uses his foreknowledge selectively and chose not to know the final outcome. That is pure speculation and does not jive with Gods supposed abilities as the bible states. gumby

Now that's a good question. I would like you (Yadirf) to show me that god choses not to know what will happen before it does in the Bible.

Thatsucks, I have no idea what you meant ..If you were implying that I am in a cult sorry I don't follow any religion or person.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Sorry Yadirf but you are full of Watchtower BS. Satan is hardly given a mention at all in the OT of the Bible. As has been pointed out already there is NO mention of him anywhere in the "Fall' story of Genesis. You are trying to make sense of nonsense. This is obviously a story told by ancient people to try and explain why evil entered the world, why humans get sick and die, and why snakes have no legs. It is a myth like Pandora's Box, not literal reality. If it is so essential that we understand Satan's nature why didn't God clearly point out the problem instead of hiding it behind this silly story with an animal substituted for the Devil? You need to read your Bible and you will quickly see it is nonsense and fairy tales devoid of deep meaning. By the way, if you would study some biology you would find that many snakes still have vestial and visible rear legs used in breeding and in nearly all snake's pelvic girdles have vestial leg bones which are reduced and no longer visible from the outside. Snakes once had legs but EVOLVED to reduce them because they hunted their prey in narrow tunnles where legs became a hinderance. In short, you don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by - Liberty on 29 August 2002 9:28:42

Edited by - Liberty on 29 August 2002 9:58:2

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

Monster:

Thatsucks, I have no idea what you meant ..If you were implying that I am in a cult sorry I don't follow any religion or person.

I was referring to your comment to Yadirf:

I just found it ironic that the words of a man can be so readily accepted as a reflection from the mind of a supreme creator if the man sounds convincing enough.

Yadirf titled his post 'PROPERLY UNDERSTANDING Genesis 3:14'. Proper for whom? Yadirf? Certainly not, otherwise he would have just titled his post "The way I understand Genesis 3:14". Yadirf's intent was to "correct" the thinking of others to go along with his thinking in this matter. Indirectly, by his implication that HE has the PROPER understanding, he has claimed to know the mind of EVERYONE'S ultimate creator.

The words you uttered above (from what I've seen) are the first step of a multi-step process to indoctrination. That is why I made my comments. Am I saying that you are indoctrinated? No. But you do leave yourself open to further "convincing/correction" by maintaining the possibility of a particular interpretation to be correct.

An open mind can be a great means to expanding your horizons, it can also be a convienient dumping ground for garbage.

• gumby
    gumby

Liberty:This is obviously a story told by ancient people to try and explain why evil entered the world, why humans get sick and die

Very well put!

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Here's the problem that I have with Satan allegedly using a snake as a mouthpiece:

Eve must have been intelligent enough to know that animals could not talk or reason. So why would she conversate with a snake? And please don't try to tell me that Eve was a new creation and she didn't realize that snakes couldn't talk. Why? Because Baalam (sp?) also had a conversation with his Ass (of the animal variety...LOL!). So, now I'm supposed to believe that Eve believed the snake was actually talking to her AND Baalam believed the Ass was talking to him???

I have a solution: God should add a new book to the Bible called The Book of (Doctor) Doolittle: "Open your Bibles to Doolittle, Chapter 5 and verse 12. Here we see Paul talking to a bat about blindness..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit