Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks Fisherman - I updated my earlier list of quotes to include your one.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i had already resigned--in 1971. i couldnt care less about 1975. in fact--my born in wife and i planned a baby in that summer--he was born in april '76. he is now 39---far out of the cult--happily married and recently had a son.

sadly--his mother is still deeply embedded in the cult--so has nothing to do with our son----and is unlikely to see her new grandchild.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@Stan:

Wow! I am so sorry to hear that.....that your wife is choosing this sham of a religion out over her own flesh and blood son and grandson. That is horrible. I hope that you are in good relations with them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its a bit ironic how people today are willing to bullshit from the bullshit of ancient seers who lived 3000 years ago. As if ancient mythology was actually real and non-fiction.

But I guess money is power and power is money, particularly when a religious publishing house is involved.

The suggestion has been made that even back in the late 1960's there were ones who were dieing off who witnessed the events of 1914, so the 6000 year dating scheme used previously by C T Russell some decades earlier, was once again pulled out of the closet and re-instituted.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My wife says to me that the WTS never wrote that 1975 was definite about the big 'A'.

Recently I heard a newly baptized convert (formerly UBM) comment during the WT Study that his Bible Study instructor had told him that all the 1975 hullabaloo were likes crafted by apostates. That's right! The WTS never said anything about the Big A coming in 1975.

The WT Conductor thanked him and went on...............

Doc

• sir82
    sir82

Fisherman:

There is no way to formulate how many years Adam was a bachelor and exactly when did God begin to rest (7th creative day.)

So does that mean that you, personally, still buy into the idea that Armageddon will come exactly 6000 years after Eve's creation?

Not condemning, just curious - I know a lot of old-timers who still believe it, who are convinced that Adam was a "bachelor" for 40 years (and counting).

• titch
    titch

Wow! A lot of you good folks have some priceless "gems"---some priceless "nuggets" from yesteryear, that you have been able to contribute to the thread. And, I, the OP, thank you for your contributions. You will NOT be forgotten in my will! How it is that I won't forget you, I don't know. But, thanks..l

Titch

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

How about this:

Back in 1968, my PO dad recounted to his flock how he'd had a long conversation with a work colleague. The colleague had asked him what he would do on Jan 1st, 1976, if armageddon hadn't occurred by then. This is what he said:

"Give me a year either way. If armageddon hasn't arrived by the end of 1976, I shall go and buy a pack of Woodbines (UK ciggies) and smoke the lot alongside you".

wow.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Fisherman

The creation of Eve was the unknown variable when discussing 1975 " as the end of the 6000 years.." Nevertheless, a lot of people hoped that 1975 would be "the end," and the farther away from Kings County, the more people believed in their minds that 1975 would be "the end"

I don't understand what you mean by the further away from Kings County, the more people believed in their minds that 1975 would be "the end"?

In the book Gods Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man's Good. (1974) page 131/132

'The first half or evening period of Gods seventh creative day was now closing, 3500 years from the creation of Adam and Eve, The morning of this creative day was due to begin at 526 BCE.'

page 186

'..hurling them into the abyss and sealing them up there, bound as with chains for the next thousand.Revelations 20;1-3 pictures this, not as a part of the war at Har- Magedon, but as a follow up of that war.'

This was the newest light and I would understand that from the first quote you can understand that the 7th creative day ended 3500 years after 526 BCE and the second quote shows that Har-mageddon would not be part of the thousand years that Satan was abyssed and since Satan to my knowledge had not been abyssed by 1974 it left little time for Har-mageddon.

I don't see what this has to do with being near or far from Kings county maybe i am missing understanding something?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I know a lot of old-timers who still believe it

Not an old timer. What are you talking about "believe it?" Haven't you read the Bible?

So does that mean that you, personally, still buy into the idea that Armageddon will come exactly 6000 years after Eve's creation?

When trying to solve the "Times" crossword puzzle, for example, one puts words in the boxes that one is not sure of (postulates) to see if they fit in. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

The date of the creation of Eve, or more precisely, the date of the the end of the sixth creative day ties in with the start of the 1000 year rule of Christ. 1975 seemed to fit perfectly not only because of the 6000 years from the creation of Adam, but also because of the 80 years generation of 1914, starting 20 years before 1914. Even though 1975 did not prove to be the end of 6000 years after the beginning of God's 7th creative day, that eventful day must come to pass some day. It should tie in with the GT and with the crushing of the image of Daniel chapter 2. So, 1975 is still the end of 6000 years after the creation of Adam if WT Bible chronology is correct. However, the 1000 year rule of Christ should immediately follow the end of the 6000 year (6000+1000=7000) completion, the end of God's 7th creative day (after the millennium). God declares the 7th day good and God 's purpose for the earth and for man are just as He purposed it in the beginning.

Adam was a "bachelor" for 40 years (and counting).

If you are using the creation of Eve to gauge the end of the sixth creative day, then 40 years begin sometime this October assuming WT Bible chronology (fall 4026 BCE)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit