Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I'm still awaiting 1975 to happen, and when it does you will all be sorry.

1975 will happen - about 4 billion years from now, when the sun runs out of nuclear fuel.

As for us all being sorry when this event does occur, I very much doubt if I will still be around then!

Bill.

• flipper
    flipper

TITCH- Good thread. I was 16 years old at the time and I can't remember anything at all happening indicating any real " end ". All I was concerned about at age 16 was meeting girls and trying to masturbate without my elder dad or my mom getting suspicious after doing the wash ! Trying to listen to my Led Zeppelin music on my headphones without my elder dad snarling at me, " What are you listening too !!?? "

And here we ALL are still ! 40 years later ! And some of us will still be here 40 years later in 2055 as well. Ain't no " end " gonna happen. We need to live our life in the here and now

• titch
    titch

And, "Peace Out" right back at ya, Mr. Flipper! I told you some time ago, that I've been using that phrase, when I conclude a conversation with a fellow Ham operator and clear the frequency. Most fellow Hams like it! But, yeah, that is so true, live in the present moment. Best Regards,

Titch

• done4good
    done4good

I was 2, so can't offer much, (although my music taste may have you believe otherwise), noticing Flip's Led Zep reference..(Their best record, Physical Graffiti came out that year).

What I can say, is that I did not learn of the 1975 debacle until I was 18 around 1991 or so...I was very put off by the fact that people who knew about it kept quiet about it. That told me all was not well in JW land. Too bad it took another 15 years for me to wake up completely and leave.

d4g

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon was imbedded into my psyche from back then.

The Society would have been freaking out at the sort of music that was being produced then, it's no wonder they thought the end was nigh.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

The fall of Saigon. It marked the end of the Vietnam War. It was the largest helicopter evacuation in history. Including 'Operation Babylift'. My daughter and I toured the USS Midway in San Diego a year ago and there were pictures of this event.

• done4good
    done4good

Sparrowdown - The Society would have been freaking out at the sort of music that was being produced then, it's no wonder they thought the end was nigh.

I'm sure this was high on the Society's list of best of soundtracks: 1972, so close...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVExlaxaweo

• kaik
    kaik
    I was just a kid, but I remember that my JW relatives told me that I do not have to worry about going to school because Armageddon is behind the corner. My parents were not buying anything because they would get all in new world. Eventually with the saving in, my dad bought a car in 1976. I remember it as was yesterday and he did it to annoy my JW relatives as the Armageddon had not arrived. My uncle told him back then if he waited a bit, he could get a car for free from all these exterminated unbelievers.
  • RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    This is a great thread... nice to hear of others who went through the same experiences I did! Every since I could remember my parents continually frightened me with the big A. Also told everyone they met that I was going to be a bethel-lite some day. I was baptized @ 16 in "73 and graduated from HS in '75 and remember well the fanaticism in the congs at the time. To this day my parents deny that any of this even happened and parrot what they have been indoctrinated with about how some jdubs were "reading between the lines, what wasn't there." My dad last year was going around saying "this may be the last memorial" just like the KM and when I called him on it this year he just laughed it off. When I was a freshman in HS my parents sold everything and we moved to where the need was great... it lasted 18 months and we had to move back... all because of the '75 propaganda which they now deny. My aversion towards bethel has always stuck with me and I have never gone to visit though the opportunity has presented itself many times. The year I stepped aside as PO I was required to go back there for schooling in November... not happening!
  • zeb
    zeb

I recall about said time of an elder constantly discussing tortures that would be used against the jw.

He made me gasp when he told of a big dinner attended too by clerics and government ministers where there was much laughter that they were laughing at what they had in plan for the jw...

He finally retired from work with no retirement insurance and a large family and in a rented home.. He joined some half legal sales scheme that later folded because he had need for money. He has since died.

I recall the cry "Stay alive till '75!".

Some where along my life I learned a scripture that said, "No man knoweth the day nor the hour" (Jesus).. something jw had difficulty connecting to their prophecies.

The tortures thing must have been wide spread as the wts about the same told people to stop doing this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit