Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• titch
    titch

Greetings, Folks: So, it's been 40 years since 1975. And, if you were actively involved with the Witnesses back then, the mindset of MANY was, that by early Autumn of 1975, it would mark the anniversary of 6000 years of human existence. And, the hope was then, that it would mark the start of the 1000-year of Christ, from the heavenly realm. But, looking back now, 40 years ago, in June of 1975, only 3 more months remained until early Autumn. That would have been September, or October of that year. So, looking back in retrospect, do you remember anything---ANYTHING at all---that was happening on the world scene, that you would have thought, "Yeah, this is it, the Great Tribulation will soon be here, and the start of Armageddon"? Can you recall anything at all that would have caused you to think that? I can't. I can't recall anything of great significance that would have caused me to think along those lines. How about you? Let me know. Best regards, everyone!

Titch

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That year several nuclear test perform by US, USSR and China, i thought for

a second this might be it, but nothing earth shaking.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

I was ready - Here is me in my AM III Aerodynamic MK3 Spanx-suit

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I graduated high school in 1975 and as a student, I found the prevalent "end of the world" mentality among JW's, very demotivating. What kid wants to do his homework or plan his future career if the adults in his little world are saying everything is coming to an end at any moment? Somehow I managed to get good grades but it was pure coincidence, not because I was really trying.

I remember that the much talked about "energy crisis" was in full swing at that time and JW's loved to say it was a sure sign that things were coming to an end. Who could possibly survive if gasoline ever reached a dollar per gallon ?

Jacques Costeau was going around saying that because of pollution, by the year 2000, there would be no life left in the ocean . JW's used to mockingly laugh and say that we'd be in paradise by then.

We had just come through the Watergate hearings and Nixon resigned as President in order to avoid impeachment. This was unheard of at the time and JW's saw this as further proof that man is corrupt and unable to rule himself and the world was doomed.

They'd have run me out of town on a rail if I were to suggest that we'd still be here plugging away in the year 2015.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Pete Zahut: I graduated high school in 1975 and as a student, I found the prevalent "end of the world" mentality among JW's, very demotivating. What kid wants to do his homework or plan his future career if the adults in his little world are saying everything is coming to an end at any moment?

It was very demotivating to me, too. I thought "What's the use if the sky is going to fall soon?"
    ------------------------------------------------

titch, I actually don't remember the few months leading up to the fall of '75, but I remember the last few years. There was a whole lot of hype and excitement in my area. My dad was told by JWs that I'd never drive and certainly never graduate high school in this system. The main JW who told my dad that, the most prominent one in my area, died about twelve years ago as a broken old man shuffling his feet in old bedroom slippers in a dreary nursing home.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

The main JW who told my dad that, the most prominent one in my area, died about twelve years ago as a broken old man shuffling his feet in old bedroom slippers in a dreary nursing home.

In most respects, the WT conglomerate is no different than any other conglomerate.

Anyone who has worked at whatever institution for whatever number of years, is completely irrelevant.

This reaches into many levels of politics as well, except for, possibly, US presidents.

One of Canada's most popular premiers was Ralph Klein. Once Ralph stepped down, he was not sought out.

Unless you're Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc., once you quit your job, move congos, etc. you become a nobody.

For Dubs, this extends to everyone, no matter their long-held RANK.

(Probably with Dubs, the only difference is that there is no pension. The "luckier" ex-missionaries and CO's get to be given institutional care at a Bethel - yee-haw.)

• scary21
    scary21

I was 21, and to busy partying like it was 1975 to notice.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I remember looking at the calendar at work and thinking, 'Nothing's happening!' I was a teenager at he time and having nightmares about demons and god slaughtering me because I wasn't a fantastically spiritual(tm) JW. I wasn't doing anything bad, that's just how the cult makes you feel.

Yes. The WBT$ DID SAY 1975 would be armageddon(tm). Those that weren't there have the effrontery to say that they didn't promise Armageddon(tm). well, my friends, you've been lied to. You are gullible enough to believe all the lies and spin from the WBT$.....you deserve each other. I knew of JWs that sold everything to pioneer and now most of them are dead! Died of old age waiting for the promise that didn't come.

Yes. I was there. I saw it. 1975 and the years leading up to it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/206550/were-you-alive-75-how-that-year-you

• prologos
    prologos

It was the fresh breath of elder rotation at the time, Whata high to be rotated into the Presiding Overseer position for 1975 and then having to preside over the debacle!!, the letdown. further, then being rotated into School Overseer for 1976 and training "ministers" to preach effectively for another century? .

Wtbts has a lot to answer for.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Actually their were quite a few years of expectation leading up to the year 1975.What started it all was the release of the book " Life Everlasting in The Freedom of The Sons of God" published in 1968-9 ? I think that was the title.

That book identified 1975 as the end of 6000 years of human history and it would be appropiate for the start of J.C. to rule for 1000 years.

What I didn`t know then , they had already said a similar thing in the late 1800`s as being the end of 6000 years.

Their was also a book that was published around that time that claimed their would be famine in the world before the end of the century , very popular among witnesses .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit