Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• hardtobeme
    hardtobeme

I was only 3 years old by that time. I didn't became a witness till 1992.

Shame on you GB!!!!! You wanted me and millions of innocent children killed by God.

You were promoting and asking for this. And since Jesus chose you as the only channel of communication, Is he guilty of this false prophesy you made???

I need an answer for that.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was 36 years old in 1975 , been in the religion for 15 years and experienced the hype that went on about 6000 years of human history and the right time for Jesus Christ to take up his position on the throne to rule for a thousand years.

My mind boggles that mature age ( and I use that term loosely ) witnesses who went through that period , deny the WTB&TS were responsible for that expectation. ? It is written in stone in their own literature , how can a sane person deny it.?

As I said , my mind boggles how any person can lie to themselves , deceive themselves , and then live with themselves , just beats me.

smiddy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    nowwhat? 8 hours agodon;t remind me of my rotten childhood because of 1975.

EXACTLY!!
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

So, looking back in retrospect, do you remember anything---ANYTHING at all---that was happening on the world scene, that you would have thought, "Yeah, this is it, the Great Tribulation will soon be here, and the start of Armageddon"? Can you recall anything at all that would have caused you to think that? I can't. I can't recall anything of great significance that would have caused me to think along those lines. How about you? Let me know. Best regards, everyone!

I believe that 1975 was a Jubilee/Holy year beginning in December 1974 for the Roman Catholics.

I don't recall any specific world events that made me feel that this is the start of the tribulation. However I did believe that 1975 would be the beginning of the end, like the days of Noah they were eating and drinking etc. which seems life was relatively normal.

I think that looking back on an historical date is quite different from actually being there, When my parents were baptised the belief was that the tribulation had started in 1914 and there was a pause, Armageddon could start at any time. The brother who studied with my parents evidently said that one day you will turn on the radio you will realise by some news event that Armageddon has started. I think there may have been some influence of this thinking even though the belief regarding the tribulation had changed.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    when 1975 had past and although I believed the tribulation would start by then and had made adjustments in my life in line with the belief it never really mattered to me because now in retrospect I think the belief in the tribulation before the generation passed away teaching was stronger and i think that was due to faith in the good news that we preached regarding the establishment of God's kingdom in 1914 and the further fulfilment of Isaiah 11;10 which was evidence strengthening my faith and years later the same verse was central to my leaving the witnesses
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    I wasn't born until 1979. I very rarely ever heard anything about 1975, & my parents didn't start studying until late 70's after they were married. I'm 36. For me, the 1914 Generation doctrinal fiasco was the "kicker" for me. Actually, what I heard about and wandered about as a child was the whole Pyramids of Giza proving 1914 BS. Even as a child, I wandered how in the world measurements in the pagan Egyptian pyramids proved anything about the Bible? Why would they need to? They are pagan, and the Bible is truth and Christian, correct? Seemed whack, even in 1984. In 1998, I started searching Yahoo! search engine about this stuff......1914 and pyramids, and oh man......what a traumatic experience to learn and have it confirmed that it was all total BS. Dominoes fell, and continue to fall to this day.
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

We did the countdown starting in 1966. Our CO worked out that we would cover our territory just 9 more times before 1975. There was also the matter of us all bearing blood guilt if we didn't get the word out and our householders became a part of the "slain of Jehovah".

He'd kill them and it was all our fault!

• dugout
    dugout
    Armeggedon did come it was invisible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at that time I was a19yr old MS chasing these beautiful horney or should I say those wanting to get married sisters. 1975 I was having a ball. It Flew right over my head. In fact 1976 was my best year. dating three sisters at one time. I remember being over this one sister(regular pioneer) place. We were making out hot, WHEN two of her pioneer partners stopped by, they knew she was home cause they had just talked to her on the phone. Told her don't even answer the door. She panicked. straighted up real fast answerd the door, but forgot to comb her hair. These sisters were staring at her hair the whole time in disbelief, then glance over at me.( A MS and regular pioneer) We laugh about that even today when I see her. Guess what she still pioneering!!
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I lived the 1975 fiasco. One incident I recall was an ongoing debate between three congregation servants (now called elders) about how long the great tribulation would last leading up to Armageddon. One felt like the GT would last about 5 years hence he expected things to really start getting nasty for JWs in 1970. The second felt like the GT would not have to last longer than 1 year. The third felt like both men were full of crap because no one could know the day and hour hence the whole discussion was speculative, including the part about 1975 potentially seeing Armageddon. The debate between these three men went on for several years. At nearly every social event where I'd encounter the three men I'd hear the discussion continue. I'd also hear it at after meetings at the KH. These guys could not let it go. All three remained as JWs. Two are deceased now and the third (the more reasonable 'no one can know the day and hour' guy) remains as active elder to this day. Last time he and I spoke I raised this incident and the long debate he had had with the other two and he said he didn't recall the three of them ever discussing the matter.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

Some members of my extended family bought into 1975 completely. They held off buying things, quit jobs and pioneered and fully expected 1975 to be the end.

My parents didn't buy into it. They said if we weren't doing enough for Jehovah already that we probably couldn't make up for it in the short time before 1975. We just kept up our normal routine and life and 1975 came and went.

I remember being present at many "discussions" between my parents and other family members who disagreed with their view of 1975. The splits 1975 caused in our large family still exist in some form to this day. Although I am sure no one would agree that 1975 had anything to do with any of it.

I was on the young side and didn't fully appreciate how hyped the WTS made 1975 until years later when I did my own research. I have since even convinced my wife that 1975 was a bigger deal than the WTS admits to now; but she's probably forgotten that conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit