Theocratic Ministry School 2003

by LoyalLeon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree
    About reading from the Watchtower, the comment given at the last years conventions was, that it was to prepare the brothers for future reading during the Watchtowerstudy.

This is bullshit, pure and simple! The Watchtower can be read by anyone with an eighth grade education. The only difficult things in the Watchtower to read aloud are the names of Bible characters and the occasional Greek or Hebrew word the Writing Dept. likes to insert as a pseudo-intellectual ploy. Guess where one can find LOTS of Bible character names? Oh.... would that be in the Bible itself?

No, this is putting "the publications" dispensed by the faithful and discreet slave on a par with God's written Word. I am astounded and hope that some Witnesses feel as stunned about this as I do and rethink their involvement with the cult. For BibleStudents, this has got to be totally unacceptable!

Edited by - outnfree on 27 August 2002 13:17:35

• meat pie
    meat pie

An ORAL review, I'm shocked!

(sorry I couldn't reist)

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Many churches have readings from holy scriptures or from some respected source. Congregations of conservative churches may go through the entire Bible one chapter at a time, just as Jews may go through the Torah, or Muslims through the Koran, usually with a 'putting of meaning into' the reading - expounding on it. Catholic services include a reading from the gospels without commentary. UU's may read a passage from Emerson, or an ancient pagan blessing, or something from a traditional religious source, letting the passage speak for itself.

In all of these cases, the source is cited and there may be many commentaries that address it. Contrast this with reading from the Watchtower - full of present truth that will presently be passed truth - and ask, are there commentaries available on these words printed only months ago, and is it permissable to seek such commentaries?

It is bad enough that, when readers were first restricted in their comments to an introduction and a conclusion, a clarification had to be made the following year that for non-contiguous readings he may say that he is moving on to another verse. But with all comments verboten - no introductory setting of the stage, no concluding summary of key points, no notes on persons, times, or places - one is left to take in the Bible reading for later consideration and research, but must take the Watchtower as higher than gospel.

Dear friends, is this not the time to cut your ties with false religion that exalts the thoughts of men? The Levites who served before Jehovah made the words of the Law understandable to the people, and thus glorified the word of God, but now those who claim to be mere temple helpers elevate their own words.

The god of the dolphins has flippers.

• ISP
    ISP

After brownie points?

Answer the questions...in the bible highlights item.

ISP

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I find it interesting that the #2 talk will now be a reading of the Watchtower once a month instead of just the bible.

Are they starting to gradually replace the bible with the Watchtower??? [Duuuh, dumb question]

Also, no more commentary? Are they just going to get up on the stage, read, and then walk off the stage??? If so, what's the point of it?

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Hey, how about a history of the Theocratic Ministry School? Or the "Thursday night meeting" for that matter?

I remember when the TMS had 5 talks, with talks 3 and 4 being given by pairs of sisters.

Here's another nugget. (or maybe this was just a local thing) We used to remain seated for the songs and prayers at Thursday (TMS/Service Meeting) Meetings.

Then the "light" ...uh... changed brightness and we had to stand for the songs and prayers, and the TMS was reduced to 4 talks.

Now the "light" has strobed yet again and it's up to 6 talks. And what's this bovine excrement about "only positive comments"? Has the infamous "W" gone the way of food service at conventions?

No commentary on the bible reading, and that talk won't always be from the bible. Um, Brooklyn, there's already a reading from the Watchtower on Sundays. So is the TMS going to be doing re-runs now? What happened? Too many Talk #2's with too much commentary hitting too close to home? That's bound to happen you know, even when reading the NWT.

I've really got to go observe some of these "new and improved" TMS's. Unfortunately, I'd stand out like a sore thumb. (how can I hide long hair without a hat?)

Col. J.R. "Bendrr" Brown, [classified]

Edited by - bendrr on 27 August 2002 20:42:9

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

RE: reading the Watchtower once a month for the No. 2 talk.

It's not so surprising if you think about it. Remember all the talk 20 years ago of the evils of a Bible study. Instead a True Christian would study the Watchtower instead. This is just an extension of that logic. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, people start quoting the Watchtower chapter and verse during the meetings, instead of scriptures.

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

39min

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

how about a history of the Theocratic Ministry School? Or the "Thursday night meeting" for that matter?

oh, what a good idea, bendrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll probably introduce it under the guise of simplification.

Cheers, Ozzie

• frogit
    frogit

Maybe the once a month WT reading will explain the Bible readings! We will have to wait and see.

frogit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit