Theocratic Ministry School 2003

by LoyalLeon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

Some excerpts from the October 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry insert regarding the new schedule for the TMS:

Introductory remarks

5min Study Point Several paragraphs of one of the 53 studies in the new Benefit from TMS Education (to be handled by the School overseer, his helper or perhaps another qualified elder)

10min No. 1 - Instruction Talk As usual from w, si or one of the introductory chapters of the new be (qualified e or ms)

10min Bible Highlights 6min as usual, then 2 audience questions: 1) how has the material benefited you personally 2) how can you use material to help others (qualified e or ms)

4min No. 2 Reading assignment - no commentary; once a month from the Watchtower, otherwise from the bible (brother)

5min No. 3 A discussion from the Reasoning book or a discussion of a certain theme (no references given), the latter is to be assigned to advanced students only (two sisters)

5min No. 4 as No. 3, but can be assigned to a brother, who delivers a talk

Counsel by the TMSO has been limited to one minute per talk and has to be positive

the Written Review will be replaced by a Oral Review of 30 min (after Study point and Bible Highlights) every two months (as we were used, as with some other aspects of this "new" schedule)

LL

• hippikon
    hippikon

I will post the assignments on the notice board as soon as it is completed. I would like volunteers for the number 4 talk " Why I like to Masterbate" Please see me after the meeting.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I think actually there should be an elder assigned specifically to assist randy young sisters to overcome this habit. And to take their regular confessions on the matter and to comfort them, help them overcome their guilt feelings, help them back to spiritual health.Of course, very probing questions on how they were feeling thruout each sinful occassion, along with practical demonstrations of techniques employed, would be necessary. I think i myself might qualify for such a position.

Edited by - refiners fire on 27 August 2002 5:34:9

• hippikon
    hippikon

Perhaps we should asign that task to Br Cantgetahardon

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks for posting LL and welcome!

I find it interesting that the reading assignment, which was previously from the Bible (it has been for decades), is now to be a reading from The Watchtower. I suppose some cynics could say, What's the difference? The Borg treats the Watchtower magazine as if it were the Bible, doesn't it?

Bible highlights for 10 minutes is a step in the right direction, but still not long enough!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I also found it interesting that they will be reading from the WT and that the Bible reading has no commentary. It is also interesting that the comments from the school overseer will only be positive. I guess too many have resigned and refused to be part of the school, partially due to the sometimes harsh public counsel.

Path

• Scully
    Scully

Wow, they've really pared down the timing... 42 minutes in total for the TMS meeting?? It was quite shocking when the WTS changed the meeting from a full hour to 45 minutes, but a welcome change nonetheless.

I also find it interesting that the Bible Reading is becoming just that. A Bible Reading, without commentary. The jaded old cynic that resides in my brain predicts that the reading from the Watchtower will start with one reading per month, gradually become an every-other-week affair and then eventually phase into a Watchtower Reading, with optional Bible Reading once a month, until the Bible is not even considered. And the good little dubbies won't bat an eye about it either.

Path: Regarding the positive commentary by the School Overseer, I think that could be part of it, but it is common knowledge that you can bring more flies with jam than you will with vinegar. As a matter of fact, BS attracts lots of flies too, which I suppose some of the commentary will *have* to be on occasion.

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 27 August 2002 8:24:45

• joenobody
    joenobody

Wow... I too am very surprised that reading of the WT is put on par with reading the Bible. Talk about confusing people.

They really seem to be tightening up on the content of the talks. There is so little room now for research and discussion on topics - everything is so canned. Talk about boring.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Joe, I was thinking the same exact thing, just reading from the bible or WT? How boring is that? And I guess the little dubs who do the talks won't have to look anything up in the old publications for commentary. I remember when you could stop the reading and give commentary throughout, they made it more and more boring and useless over the years.

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

The bible reading is now only 4 minutes, if the reading parts are as long as they were sometimes this year, you have to be a very good reader to read it in 4 min.

About reading from the Watchtower, the comment given at the last years conventions was, that it was to prepare the brothers for future reading during the Watchtowerstudy.

The bible highlights in 10' is still too short.

All has to be done in 45'. This is never going to happen. Think of it the Schooloverseer climbing up and down the stairs all the time for only one minute of counseling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit