Why Is Smoking A Disfellowshipping Offense?

by twain30 31 Replies latest jw friends

• twain30
    twain30

The main reason given in the 1973 Watchtower was that smoking is tied in with spiritism because the Greek word which is rendered as Spiritism is Pharmakia' which literally means "Druggery," (see Galatians 5:20.) Therefore the argument was made that by smoking we put ourselves under spiritistic or demonic control. For the last 20 years I haven't heard this reason used.

Today the reasons given are that smoking shows no respect for your body as well as for life and that smoking doesn't show love of neighbor. The question is this: Being 50 or 60 lbs. overweight is just as or more harmful to your body than smoking. Also, a person can smoke in private and not encroach upon someone elses clean air. So why is smoking a disfellowshipping offense and being severely overweight is not?

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Jehovah allows you to ingest plants, but punishes if you smoke them. He's stupid.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Because they are hypocritical dumbfxxx's...oh, i did not mean that word.

When my dad got DFd in about 1974 for it, they used the "it's bad for your body" excuse. He told me, right before he died this past February, he was thrilled to get DFd. He hated being a dub.

I recently have brought this up to my mother; why are the severely obese allowed to abuse their bodies?

She hung up on me.

• Mary
    Mary

Twain wrote: "The question is this: Being 50 or 60 lbs. overweight is just as or more harmful to your body than smoking. Also, a person can smoke in private and not encroach upon someone elses clean air. So why is smoking a disfellowshipping offense and being severely overweight is not?..."

Being overweight myself, I have often wondered why we have no talks at the Hall about how obesity shows a lack of respect for the body Jehovah gave us.......maybe because half the Hall would be disfellowshipped.

My feeling on the two issues is this: in alot of ways, smoking and being overweight is comparable, but in other cases its not. I for one can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke and no matter where I sit or stand, if I'm in the company of a smoker, the frigging smoke ALWAYS drifts towards the non-smoker (it jes knooooooows somehow) and I don't want to breath in somebody else's poison that they've just exhaled. If I'm in a restaurant eating a piece of cake, I don't chomp half of it down and then spew half of it on the people around me - not unless I want my face bashed in. This is the difference between obesity and smoking. With smoking, you're harming the people around you as well as yourself, obesity, you're generally just hurting yourself.

Plus it's a known fact amongst doctors that children of smokers have more ear infections, are sick more frequently and develop more breathing problems such as asthma, than children with non-smoking parents.

Both obesity and cigarette smoking are "addictions" and people struggle all the time to overcome them. Although I detest the smell of cigarette smoke, I don't think someone should automatically be DF'd for it, because they may be really struggling with it, just as I do with my weight.

• Amazing
    Amazing

The other reasons given besides spiritism were also used prior to the 1973 article. It was the 1973 article that was used to make it a DF sin. Since then the WTS has mostly focused on other issues besides spiritism.

personally, I see nothing morally or spiritually wrong with smoking. It is a personal decision. The health risks are high, and it is become less acceptable socially in the last 20 years. The WTS should leave people alone on this issue.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Two or three times a week, in the evening, I sit on the patio with a nice cigar and a glass of wine. With my wife and we talk and relax. I usually have this little grin on my face and my wife asks me about this. I have tried to explain the j'dub cult to her before and it is not easy for her to grasp that they really do things like df one for smoking.

So the smile remains as I ponder the confused and tortured lives that the jw's live and I no longer do. What a relief and satisfying life there is once one gets out of the cult.

I no longer try to understand their strange stand on smoking. I just smoke my cigar and grin.

Outoftheorg

Oh by the way. I almost forgot that most moving statement of all. I DO NOT INHALE !

Edited by - outoftheorg on 26 August 2002 18:48:39

• Francois
    Francois

There IS no logical, spiritual reason. It's merely a control tactic from a High-Control cult. End of report.

francois

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

francois, you said it well.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

In the mid 70's, I think, there was a little 'Watching the World' piece on how bad the air was in New York City. The source quoted said that breathing NY air for one day was the equivalent of smoking two packs of cigarettes as far as the damage done by the pollutants.

I started asking everyone why all Bethelites are not DF'd for choosing to live in NY.

Jst2laws

• minimus
    minimus

Imagine,smoking a cigarrette and then being afraid that you were going to be possessed by demons....actually the view was, just one wouldn't do it. It had to be a "practice" of spiritism...lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit