Why Is Smoking A Disfellowshipping Offense?

by twain30 31 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good question, and having been just babtized in the late 60's I remember too well the Elders who did smoke, the ones that were df'd in the early 70's when the "new light" burnt them outa the borg. Some mannaged to quit, but others were destined to become "closet" smokers, later just faded away only to return sometime after the 1975 upset. Anyone remember the resurgence of those coming back to the truth in the early 80's? They've pretty much have all faded away now too.

Don't even get me started on alcoholism and the Society! Well ok, here goes (getting on my soap box). In my 48 years IN, I honestly cannot think of one Elder who didn't drink, and I'm sure half of all the ones I've known are full blown alcoholics, so are their wives, as were a lot of the CO's that made the rounds. It's a known fact that alcoholism adversely affects family life, ruins your health and it runs in families, children of alcoholics are more likely to become alcoholics, and or marry one and so it goes. The fact is alcoholism is so prevalent in the borg and to me it sure explains a lot of the black and white thinking that goes on. Imagine if they started df-ing those who drank in the congergations, that alone would render the 'borg empty!

bc (getting down off my soap box)

• minimus
    minimus

BIKERCHIC, if they banned drinking, Bethelites would be a thing of the past.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Why is smoking a Disfellowshipping Offense?

Because it's a 'pleasure' to some people?

(how do I turn the red back to black?)

• twain30
    twain30

Re: Mary

Dear Mary I certainly hope I didn't offend you in any way. One question: What if a person with a smoking habit only smokes in private or in a secluded area like a field where he can't harm anyone. In this case the love of neigbor argument wouldn't apply correct?

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

It's bad P.R. It doesn't fit the corporate image.

CC

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    Plus it's a known fact amongst doctors that children of smokers have more ear infections, are sick more frequently and develop more breathing problems such as asthma, than children with non-smoking parents.

Which is why I NEVER smoke in the house

Also as one that does smoke and has smoked for longer then I care to admit I do think it is a responsibilty of those who smoke to be considerate of those around them if they are out someplace, however the Watchtower views in my opinion are stupid and groundless. It's bad for you, well no kidding so is almost everything in the world if you listen to all the so called experts.

-Rick

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Why Is Smoking A Disfellowshipping Offense?

Corporate Policy.

This is all Bible-Based(tm), you know.

Farkel

• professor
    professor

In California you are disfellowshipped from just about everywhere for smoking.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: In California you are disfellowshipped from just about everywhere for smoking.

In Del Mar, California, the city council of the Del Martian population will disfellowship you for thinking about smoking. In your own home! With the doors and windows locked!

If you ever want to move to the San Diego area, DON'T move to Del Mar. Unless you are really, really weird.

Farkel

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

I remember being in San Diego a couple of years ago and heading outside to smoke. Wouldn't have been strange only I was at a bar.. LOL What a pain in the ass that is.

-Rick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit