Are You Influenced By Looks?

by jack2 42 Replies latest jw friends

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

Phew! Took a few tries, but found it.

I had a very pretty but flamboyant female boss who worked in her family company...her husband (the BIG boss) liked her to dress up as slutty as possible, but then got mad if men noticed. Anyway, these two had been married 20 years and they still were highly possessive/jealous over each other. When I was ready to start my own business, she started looking for another secretary. (The secretary was the only other female there besides herself). If she weren't there, I was to interview the person, and the only instructions I got were: "Make sure she is ugly enough for Danny not to ogle over." This is where plain looks were the advantage for someone. She ended up hiring someone who weighed over 250 pounds. (But very sweet, competent and perfect for the job.) Of course, what does that say for me??? I don't consider myself plain, but I was if I stood next to her. I would wear my dub dresses to work, and she would wear a mini-skirt with a low cut blouse to show off her breast implants, colored 'ho red with 3" heels--which one would you look at first?

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I'm guilty too.....good looks certainly attract me. That would definitely make my head turn or take a glance. Unfortuntately I've found that the majority of good looking guys out there are attached to a rotten egos, or boring personalities. I'd have to say that looks is what makes me take notice, but his personality would keep me coming around. Personality and a good head on his shoulders would be priority for me.

I'm 5'1", but I tend to like taller men. I've dated men that have been 6'.....it didn't bother me if it didn't bother them. I wouldn't be attracted to a very short man, though....too much like a kid!

I would also believe that I have friends in all shapes and sizes, but now that I think back, I think I have tended to buddie up with the better looking friends....odd isn't it?

• COMF
    COMF

<----------- 5'8"

5'8" is just tall enough

Mmm, talk that stuff to me, Grits!

I'm influenced by appearance, too, but generally in the opposite direction from what we're talking about here. Not appearance as an attractive feature, but appearance as in facial expression and body language. If the person is quite attractive physically, my experience has been that most of the time they have come to expect favorable treatment as a result. They are used to getting their way, used to being the center of attention, used to getting what they want with minimal effort put forth to earn it.

That's just a social dynamic at work, I know, but I generally go for the people of average appearance. Probably, that's because my appearance is average. Whatever; it works for me. I have no patience to deal with egotism.

Edited by - COMF on 25 August 2002 11:37:42

• Simon
    Simon

No, definitely not! I base everything on what really counts.

Take music for instance ...

Britney Spears & Shania Twain just happen to be gorgeous and can still be enjoyed with the sound turned off

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Guess I'm guilty, too. Mel Gibson definetly has influenced me in what I preceive as one of the better looking men. AHHHHHH. Shame, shame granny. teehee.

Well, being I do not view myself as one of the more "beautiful" people in the world, personality would influence me moreso these days. Maybe that just comes with the maturing process...the older one gets, the less inclind we are to gauge capabilities by appearance only. For me, it's sorta like I don't really much care about how "society" views looks...it's just another means by which humanity is kept at odds. Hell, if I watched television based upon the most "popular" shows, it would in a short time leave me brain dead. I really don't hold much respect for people who find it necessary to label according to looks.

I do however understand that a person who is well groomed, articulate, and displays a sense of self esteem; no matter if they are or, are not the best looking have a better chance in the real world. Maybe it's just human nature to place so much emphasis upon "looks." I certainly can do a double take if'en I see a strikingly handsome/beautiful person.

I've already said that I'm average...perhaps below as I age. My husband is not one of the most handsome men you'de met...in fact when we first meant I wasn't impressed at all. BUT...he has never lacked for female companionship because he is a most wonderful human that has what it takes for accepting others for how they are. He smiles all the time, is a good listener, has a wonderful sense of humor and is loved, truthfully, by everyone that knows him. Those qualities are more valuable than looks any day of the week. Just wanted to plug my hubby because he deserves recognition. :)

This is a good topic because I can get caught up in that friggen bullcrap thing about looks somehow make the man...some really ugly people shine nothing but goodness towards their fellowman, and that's what I need remember. Thanks.

Granny

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Very interesting thread. I think we are naturally drawn to what is beautiful whether
    we happen to be aware of it or not. I'm 6'2" and an average looking man but ended
    up with a gorgeous wife. In fact, my friends are all good looking too. Luck of the draw
    I suppose. I think JW men have a larger pool to select from then the average non dub.

One of our good looking female friends made an interesting point. She thinks that
    one of the downsides to being very attractive is that it intimidates others at times
    which can making forming relationships more challenging - probably especially
    true in same sex friendships.

As a JW youngster I didn't give a hoot about looks - JW culture. Dress and grooming
    were always a priority. However, when I met the lovely creature that was to become
    my wife, she was so beautiful I fell in love when I laid eyes on her.

Lee

• Solace
    Solace

I would want to say no that I am not influenced by appearance.

On the other hand, I ran a licensed daycare a few years back, so I could stay home with my son while he was a baby. He had asthma so I didnt go back to work until he was a little older.

One child I watched had a slightly disfigured appearance from a birth defect. I found that I coddled and paid much more attention to her than the others because I felt somewhat sorry for her. I think people can be influenced by appearance even if they dont mean to.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

[Sigh] I have to admit that I am shallow. Given the choice of a hot babe or an ugle chick, I will always go for the babe.

Heaven,
    Hey babe, I lost my number, can I have yours?

Edited by - Elsewhere on 25 August 2002 13:34:19

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I would say I have to be attracted to the person in a dating situation but I valued personality above all else. Did you know though it is a proven fact with women that they will pick friends they feel are less attractive than them because they want to be the one noticed when they go out. Take my sister for instance she is a 5'11" blonde hair blue eyed beauty her friends are either overweight or very very plain and unattractive. She is the one that always gets the looks when they go out. But she will tell you they are her friends due to personality what do you think?

• Simon
    Simon

Your sister sounds like she has a beautiful personality. I would suddenly like to be friends with her

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit