Why would God want/need worship from you?

by sleepy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know

SCULLY notes

They also have an inborn tendency to belch, emit flatulence, dispose of bodily waste products, scratch themselves where they itch, and practice procreation for recreation.

Well said, which explains why apostate Dubs worship their own bellies, genitiles, and various other organs. LOL / You Know

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hi YouKnow,

Good to see you back. Excellent discussion. It scares the poop out of me to agree with you, though.

Everyone,

I'm am absolutely convinced that man has an inborn need to (what we call) worship God. The creator put that need in us. I like Amazing's thought that perhaps we should be talking about "Loving God", since we have old tribal, savage images of what the word 'worship' means.

I would like to suggest we seperate from the Hebrew scripture image of a warlike, jealous, demanding God. That biblical account described a 'shadow', not the reality. Like the book of Job, it contains more misimpressions of reality than accurate statements. Perhaps it was God's way of teaching us how NOT to "worship" him.

Along comes the REALITY, Jesus Christ, and he talks about love and refers to God only as our FATHER. He told the Sumaritan woman that both the Hebrew way and her local idolatrous way of worshiping God were useless, but that God was looking for thinking people to 'worship him in spirit and truth'. (John 4) To me he as saying throw away every primative notion you have about God and seek this caring spirit father with all your heart. It was NOT HIS NEED TO BE WORSHIPPED BUT OUR NEED FOR THIS RELATIONSHIP.

Just my thoughts at this time.

Jst2laws

• berten
    berten

>Apostate Dubs know full well that Jehovah requires obedience from his creatures

>and that failure to obey comes with the threat of death. That's not my message. / You Know

So jehover is a Spiritual Mafioso...

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

That "inborn tendency" that so many refer to is not a need to worship. It's merely a desire to find the answers to some very hard questions. Where did we come from? Why are we here? What is going to happen in the future? For thousands of years, religious leaders have used this desire to confuse, scare and dominate the masses. I don't feel any inborn tendency to worship. Sorry. I don't even want to worship myself. Imagine that. I don't worship my belly. (never preached to anyone about the wonderful blessings that my belly gives me) I don't worship money. (I offer proof in the simple fact that I AM BROKE!)

One inborn tendency that I did recognize it SEX. When I was a teenage witness, I used to ask myself over and over again.....If it's wrong for me to have sex before I get married and it's bad to get married at 15, WHY IS MY URGE TO HAVE SEX SO STRONG AT 15? That question was never answered to my satisfaction.

TimB

• sleepy
    sleepy

In born tendancy to worship, my arse.

I havent got one, nor I suspect do most other people.

Maybe its a confusion of other factors that causes some to think they have it.

• sleepy
    sleepy
    If the original poster thought Jehovah didn't exist then it becomes quite absurd to consider whether a non-existent deity wants to be worshipped.

My arse.Of course I can consider what type of a God would desrire worship and why.I can consider what type of a human would stick a carrot to his head and jump out of a building shouting I am a penguin but he doesn't have to exist.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Every person has an inborn tendency to worship

I'm with Sleepy and would have to disagree with the above statement. At no point in my life have I EVER had the desire to worship. At no point in my life have I EVER perceived the supernatural or had a "feeling" that a god was present or watching over me.

I'm about as atheist as they come. No, I did not reject a god after a traumatic experience.(I'm sick of people asking me that one) In fact, by what I have seen, a lot of people who are religious HAVE had a traumatic experience that disrupted their perception of the world or caused them to face their own mortality. To resolve this they turned to the big teddy bear in the sky.

• Solace
    Solace

If there is a God, I cant imagine him needing anything. I could imagine him wanting respect just as a parent would want from their child.

I think many feel the need to worship God because of the rewards they may be granted for doing so.

Once while debating with my uncle about the W.T.S being false he ran out of answers. He knew my points were valid. His only response was, "I WILL see my parents in the new order."

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Good topic, sleepy! And a question that I have often asked myself.

Tyydyy wrote:

That "inborn tendency" that so many refer to is not a need to worship. It's merely a desire to find the answers to some very hard questions. Where did we come from? Why are we here? What is going to happen in the future? For thousands of years, religious leaders have used this desire to confuse, scare and dominate the masses. I don't feel any inborn tendency to worship. Sorry. I don't even want to worship myself. Imagine that. I don't worship my belly. (never preached to anyone about the wonderful blessings that my belly gives me) I don't worship money. (I offer proof in the simple fact that I AM BROKE!)

Here, here! And me too!

Andee

Edited by - BeautifulGarbage on 25 August 2002 15:39:16

• larc
    larc

I too, have thought about this subject. Since we are created in God's image, so they say, why would I want my three children to worship me? I would hope that they would love and respect me, but worship? Never.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit