Why would God want/need worship from you?

by sleepy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

YK,

I know this isn't a popularity contest. I can tell by the respectful way you addressed expatbrit and me (as brat and goofer? that's a bit below you).

So okay it's a contest of logic, reasoning?

Well this is my logic on the matter: You've "made the truth your own", to borrow JW jargon. Once you adopt a certain teaching or slant on that teaching from your God, you make that teaching your own. You draw from it what makes sense to you, and adopt it as your own.

So when you pass on "the threat of death" from God, you are in full agreement with that threat, and you want it to happen!!

Again the question of the moment is do you HAVE to worship and praise God every living, breathing moment under the threat of death if you fail to do so? Your answer is yes, based on your "take" on the Scriptures. Other people are pointing out here that a confident God, one who already was satisfied before he created anyone else, wouldn't necessarily need such constant doting and ego-boosting.

You may not agree with us, but we're not threatening with you with death for disagreeing.

Sigh.

• You Know
    You Know

BIGBOY

If God gave us this inborn tendency to worship, and we act on it by worshipping someone other than himself, why should he be upset? We are just acting on an impulse that he gave us.

Paul explained that to the Athenians when he told them that God has overlooked such ignorance for a period of time, but that it is now time to wise up. So, really, there is no excuse for ignorance now---even as you are not ignorant about the Bible and the basics about Jehovah and Christ. / You Know

• You Know
    You Know

GOOFER

So when you pass on "the threat of death" from God, you are in full agreement with that threat, and you want it to happen!!

Absolutely! All of Jehovah's worshippers want God's will to be done. Jehovah's will is that there should be no wicked ones anywhere in existence.

Again the question of the moment is do you HAVE to worship and praise God every living, breathing moment under the threat of death if you fail to do so? Your answer is yes, based on your "take" on the Scriptures. Other people are pointing out here that a confident God, one who already was satisfied before he created anyone else, wouldn't necessarily need such constant doting and ego-boosting.

Apostate Dubs may enjoy blaspheming Jehovah by casting him either as a maniacal mass murderer or a ego-driven bully. I think considering the source of such nonsense only validates the need for God to execute his judgments upon such perverse creatures. I for one am in full harmony with that judgment. / You Know

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think You Know has a point. (I will wash my mouth out with soap later...) It may be our natural state to worship. In the absence of God, we will worship something else, like Elvis. Does God need our worship, or do we need our worship directed? I suspect the latter. Elvis worship accomplishes little. To love and adore a loving and living God is more likely to produce good in us, and keep us out of sequin covered jump suits.

Except for the point about destroying 99% of the world's population. That is nuts.

Edited by - jgnat on 25 August 2002 13:5:11

• Gopher
    Gopher

YK,

You're the one who casts God as ego-driven, by supporting the "slant" that he requires constant, fawning devotion 24/7.

When others point out that God may be confident enough to survive without constant praise, and even be confident enough to allow people to enjoy life without constantly praising him, that actually gives MORE CREDIT to God, painting him as one who allows his creatures some breathing room to enjoy their life while acknowledging him as its source (without the constant fawning).

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Paul explained that to the Athenians when he told them that God has overlooked such ignorance for a period of time, but that it is now time to wise up.

That doesn't explain the logic behind giving us the tendency in the first place without ensuring that we would use it the way he wanted us to. Sure I guess it's alright that he excused previous generations for misusing it. I guess u don't remember the Israelite conquest of Canaan. I thought the destruction of ther civilization was in part because of their gross religious practices, due to their misusing their tendency to worship, by worshipping gods like Molech and Astarte.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    One should imagine that the mere mention of Jehovah should cause apostate Dubs to convulse with laughter, for the time being at least.

If the mention of Jehovah was the cause of my convulsion, I should have posted my LOL sooner, and without quoting the real cause, your nonsensical illogicality.

But why even discuss a topic like whether God wants or neeeds to be worshipped if you imagine that God doesn't even exist.

Because it entertains me?

If the original poster thought Jehovah didn't exist then it becomes quite absurd to consider whether a non-existent deity wants to be worshipped.

Quite.

If though a person believes that God lives, than his being King of eternity, as the Scriptures describe, is the only reasonable answer to the question of how Jehovah came about.

Your statement is based upon the assumption that if God lives, he is as described by the Hebrew and Christian scriptures. This is undemonstrated and unproven.

Otherwise the questions never end, becuase if Jehovah had a beginning, than the question arises who created the Creator.
    Now you're getting somewhere! Perhaps the more reasonable answer is that God doesn't exist! It avoids all those nasty logical fallacies you keep tripping over.
    So, really, your laughter and scoffing at the thought of Jehovah's existing forever is simply a childish way of dismissing reality.

Reality as shown by the God-guided flawless record in the scientific, historic and predictive writings of yourself and your "Brothers" in Brooklyn, I suppose.

Btw, in case you didnt get it, it was your ridiculous statement that made me laugh.Forever is, by definition, an unending amount of time. If Jehovah existed forever without creating anything, the period of time without there being any creation would have been unending. It is therefore impossible for him to have existed forever before creating something.

Here's a question to think about during today's boring Watchtower study:

Does the existence of the present demonstrate the impossibility of an infinite past?

Expatbrit

• blondie
    blondie

Searching the WT-CD to find what the WTS uses for support of their statement that God created humans with the need to worship, I found no scriptural citations. Rather these non-witness authorities are quoted.

w93 6/15 9 Creation Says, "They Are Inexcusable" ***

Man was created with an inborn need to worship a higher power. Dr. C. G. Jung

, in his book TheUndiscoveredSelf, referred to this need as "an instinctiveattitude peculiar to man, and its manifestations can be followed all through human history."

*** g85 3/22 7 Happiness-What It Takes to Find It ***

Nevertheless, all mankind, even the sophisticated intellectuals, grope for a god, and many times they find any god but the true Almighty One. Many psychiatristsrecognize mans inborn need to worship a higher power. Rollo May said that through belief in God "the individual will have gained a feeling of his own minuteness and insignificance in the face of the greatness of the universe and Gods purposes therein. . . . He will recognize that there are purposes which swing in arcs much greater than his little orb, and he will aim to put himself in harmony with them."

C. G. Jung

said: "The individual who is not anchored in God can offer no resistance on his own resources to the physical and moral blandishments of the world. . . . Religion . . . is an instinctiveattitude peculiar to man, and its manifestations can be followed all through human history. . . . [The] idea of an all-powerful divine being is present everywhere, if not consciously recognized, then unconsciously accepted . . . Therefore I consider it wiser to recognize the idea of God consciously; otherwise something else becomes god, as a rule something quite inappropriate and stupid."

*** it-1 546 Creation ***

Professor George A. Barton observed: "A more important difference lies in the religious conceptions of the two. The Babylonian poem is mythological and polytheistic. Its conception of deity is by no means exalted. Its gods love and hate, they scheme and plot, fight and destroy. Marduk, the champion, conquers only after a fierce struggle, which taxes his powers to the utmost. Genesis, on the other hand, reflects the most exalted monotheism. God is so thoroughly the master of all the elements of the universe, that they obey his slightest word. He controls all without effort. He speaks and it is done. Granting, as most scholars do, that there is a connection between the two narratives, there is no better measure of the inspiration of the Biblical account than to put it side by side with the Babylonian. As we read the chapter in Genesis today, it still reveals to us the majesty and power of the one God, and creates in the modern man, as it did in the ancient Hebrew, a worshipful attitude toward the Creator."ArchaeologyandtheBible, 1949, pp. 297, 298.

Edited by - Blondie on 25 August 2002 13:16:6

• Scully
    Scully

YouKnow writes:
    >>>Every person has an inborn tendency to worship.<<<

They also have an inborn tendency to belch, emit flatulence, dispose of bodily waste products, scratch themselves where they itch, and practice procreation for recreation. Most people are able to confine those activities to when it is appropriate. Perhaps "worship" should be afforded the same level of personal space and privacy as the rest of those "inborn tendencies".

Love, Scully

• You Know
    You Know

You're the one who casts God as ego-driven, by supporting the "slant" that he requires constant, fawning devotion 24/7.

No, that's merely some bit of stupidity that you want to attribute to me. I don't believe that Jehovah expects anyone to worship him while they are sleeping. / You Know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit