Brothers told to stop being wasteful!

by dmouse 35 Replies latest jw friends

• scumrat
    scumrat

Looks like their will be less clutter at tha laundromat.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Nathan, the scan is of poorer quality to reduce the size of the image, so it loads relatively quickly (100dpi). If you want I'll do a better quality scan and email it to you?

• outnfree
    outnfree

mommy and richard,

you're not getting it! They expect the publishers to pay for the literature in advance and then to ALSO submit any donations received at the doors. That way, they are paid TWICE for the literature.

If you give it away [or use it for birdcage liner], the Society's income suffers.

out

• ISP
    ISP

The WTS obviously think dubs are somewhat wasteful!! There is probably a downturn in incoming literature revenues..no doubt caused by the exodus in the western world out of the WT. So there have to be cutbacks!!!

ISP

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is going to have a side affect they are not expecting... If publishers are not placing books and mags everywhere... then the placement numbers will go down too. This will let us see what the REAL interest level is out there.

• Flip
    Flip
    Why should the society care if the publishers give it to people who don't appreciate it or ?

First think of the WTBTS as a privately controlled Corporation that just happens to market their own brand of religion while enjoying the benefit of tax-exemptions, at least in the most lucrative business environments.

Secondly other than inheritance, lotto wind falls (or stock options, lol), there are only two ways of legally increasing an entities (Jehovah's earthly organization or otherwise) net worth; increase income or decrease expenses.

It appears even the WTBTS isnt yet crass enough to increase income by openly begging for increased donations in return for less religious product, so they've most likely exercised the easily controllable option which is to save manufacturing costs by 'urging' consumers (Jehovahs Witnesses) to conserve printed material while expecting they will continue to provide financially as per usual.

Also, exercising the concept of 'conserving' Watchtower and Awake! magazines has the added PR benefit of self-righteously acting like they've, single-handedly, just saved the rain forests or the immense Alaskan/Porcupine River caribou herd.

Edited by - Flip on 24 August 2002 18:31:50

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

The WT is used to growth in their all important cash flow. Now with the slackening of zeal in the all important industrialised countries and the down turn of general economic conditions they are having serious money problems. They may have to decide how much they are actualy getting for their litter-chure and compare that with what they can sell it for...plus the sales tax. Another problem if they do that would be that it might open themselves up to an IRS audit. I think they want to avoid that at all costs. Who knows maybe IRS investigators would send in a team of forensic bookeepers and start uncovering all kinds irregularities and volations of tax law. I think to the loyal worshipers of the mighty Watchtower god the voluntary contribution arraingement sounds not so bad. Their god is still mighty, but are they going to risk it against the Mighty IRS? I think not. In the mean time economize is their only option. Dave

• Flip
    Flip
    they (WTBTS) are having serious money problems

Al' I seriously doubt your above statement.

In addition, the political and socio-economic environment has been so good over the last one hundred years for virtually all religious organizations that didn't lose sight of corporate financial reality and actually began to believe excessively in their own fantaorgasmic Biblical rhetoric i.e. Waco, Jim Jones.

Using economic common sense, there appears little need for religious organizations to turn to unlawful accounting practices to provide a long lived, comfortable 'corporate lifestyle' when Governments provide such generous tax incentives in return for religious organizations supposedly helping to develop stable, well adjusted communities.

Ethical behavior OTOH is another topic.

• minimus
    minimus

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!

• Flip
    Flip

Mini,

"when members of different faith's sit down to discuss money, everyone is of the same religion."

A loose translation...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit