Brothers told to stop being wasteful!

by dmouse 35 Replies latest jw friends

• meat pie
    meat pie

They should be economical with the truth...Tee hee.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Zev's post about the huge stacks of literature left in the Lost and Found at the assembly reminded me of a talk at a past assembly. It seems like the brothers in Russia and other countries do NOT have a problem with misplacing their books at assemblies - their lost and found dept. just did not have any, whereas the CA's and DA's in the US always did.

Makena and Sabine

just waking up in Maui - Aloha all!

• Mary
    Mary

I think the Society shot themselves in the foot with this one.......in my opinion, they should have never had it go to a "donation" basis, simply because too many Witnesses are cheap as hell and expect everything for free anyway. I know there was a big "tax" issue, but the simple thing to do would have been to simply include the tax in the cost of the magazines, end of story.

What really pissed me off was when they stopped having hot meals at the assemblies, frigging cheapskates......oh, I forgot, it was because too many brothers were spending all their time in the kitchens rather than listening to the bullshit going on in the main auditorium and they weren't being brainwashed enough.

Yep, I know one person at the Canadian Bethel, and she said that the money just isn't coming in like it used to (LOL at that!) and that's why all the downsizing is going on................I guess all that property down at Columbia Heights isn't worth anything eh?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Dmouse -

Thanks for posting the scan, but I have a question about the quality of the scanned image. Please do not take this as any kind of personal attack.

Why are the colors so weak? The red text is dithered pink, the black text is dithered gray, even the supposedly white background is dithered off-white. I tried to run the image through my OCR software to produce a text file of the article (after converting it to a black and white image) and the relatively short seven paragraphs were LOADED with scan errors because of poorly formed alphanumeric characters in the 2 color source file.

Since I don't have the original, I'm unable to experiment with producing a higher quality scan.

• Simon
    Simon

Hi Mary

I wonder if you saw the post re: Shunned Father in Calgary who is looking for people who are or have been at the Canadian Bethel?

You can contact me by email if you prefer instead of posting here.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

DMouse...Thanks for posting that article. Man are they getting sleezier and sleezier!!!

They would freakout if they saw the literature I tossed out!!

CC

• Swan
    Swan

JWs are so wasteful. My parents threw away a perfectly good child!

Tammy

• Quotes
    Quotes

{Laughing at UglyDuckling!!!!}

Valis, good catch! You can say what you want about the WT, but they have a knack for filling up their articles with bible quotes that don't fit the subject of the paragraph, and this is yet another example.

Luke 15:8-10 reads (in the NWT):

"Or what woman with ten drachma coins, if she loses one drachma coin, does not light a lamp and sweep her house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it she calls the women who are her friends and neighbors together, saying, Rejoice with me, because I have found the drachma coin that I lost. 10 Thus, I tell YOU , joy arises among the angels of God over one sinner that repents.

The scripture /parable is about sinners repenting their sinful ways, not putting your name on your books so they will get returned to you after you forget them due to the zombie-like coma induced after a day at a CA/DA. Of course, you would only know that if you read verse 10, but they only refer to verses 8 and 9, and hope that noone will read the following 16 words wherein the meaning of the parable is explained!

Is it just me, or are they getting worse at this deplorable practice? Or am I getting more sensitive to finding it?

Edited by - Quotes on 24 August 2002 15:47:48

Edited by - Quotes on 24 August 2002 15:48:25

Edited by - Quotes on 24 August 2002 15:49:3

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I thought the publishers paid for the literature in advance of distributing it anyway. Why should the society care if the publishers give it to people who don't appreciate it or wipe their backsides with it? What a bunch of intruding weasals!

• mommy1
    mommy1

I knew of one pioneer who would"place" watchtower and Awakes at laundromats and would put her name and phone number on the back. Just like an avon catalog. She did get a couple of studies from that. Of course this was 25 years ago. You would think they would want their mags all over since the publishers pay for them anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit