HOW DID YOU COME INTO THE"TRUTH"???

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Were you raised as a JW, like me, or were you converted (at least I have an excuse)?

• ugg
    ugg

we lived in a trailor court,,,and i worked nights and took care of my
    child during the day,,,anyway,,,i was always tired,,,and the trailor
    was dirty,,,so when they knocked on the door,,,i invited them in,,,
    i had never heard of a jehovahs witness before....

they showed me the truth book and the pictures of paradise conditions...
    but all i could think of was how embarrassed i was because the trailor
    was dirty,,,

so i said,,,sure you can come back next week,,,(i will show you i am
    not a pig!! oink oink,,,,you will beable to eat off my floors!)

they came back,,,my trailor was spotless,,,i was oh so proud!!!!

that was 30 years ago,,,the rest is history....

• desertflower
    desertflower

Hi Max

I was a Methodist was the only church in our little town.

Never heard of JW until I was 19 Yrs.old. They never came to my small town in Iowa.

I got married and the man I married had JW background but the family wasn't active until later.

So I got to be a witness thru my husband, took him quite a while to get me to believe, we both wish I never had, was baptized in 1956.

Desertflower

• zev
    zev

born, breed, raised.

then i woke up.

• dsgal
    dsgal

Witnesse knocked on our door when I was 9 years old.My parents accepted a bible study.We moved and nothing was ever said about it until they came to our door again when I was 13 and my parents accepted another study.An elderly pioneer lady kind of took me under her wing and pushed me into baptism at the age of 13.I did not make a dedication in my heart, I only did it to please her.I think this is the case with a lot of kids,being nudged into baptism when they really don't want to but afraid of displeasing adults.Then they end up being disfellowshipped for doing things all other normal kids do.

• dottie
    dottie

Born and raised, rebelled at age 15, leaving my mom and her beliefs behind. She just couldn't get it through her head that this wasn't for me, and the only way that she did "get it" was when I moved out.

Dottie

• Amazing
    Amazing

I became a JW. I wold not say that being raised a JW is any excuse. The religion is a fraud, meaning it employs deception. The fundamental concepts of a paradise earth, no hellfire, etc. are fine, and what attract many people ... it takes years after becoming a JW to wake up to the BS.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I became one at about age 4. I remember one Easter and one Christmas.My mother had 4 hungry children and a husband that was always out at the bars.MY Mother felt overwhelmed with being alone with us day and night.She welcomed the chance to finally get to speak with adults.She pretty much felt hopeless with her life (we were dirt poor)so the thought of paradise gave her hope.

BTW..My mom has a genuis IQ..so just because people join this cult ,does'nt mean they are idiots.

• Nikita
    Nikita

My best friend since 1st grade was a JW, so I was familiar with the religion but didn't take an interest in them until I was about 11 or 12. Since my friend lived 2 hours away from me by that time, I made the mistake of ordering a book (Truth, perhaps?) Well, short time later, a knock on my door leads to a Bible Study which spawned my Mom studying and later my brothers. (The downward spiral of my whole family

Nikita

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was attending community college and met a girl who was studying Watchtowerism and she was very much on her Watchtower honeymoon - very zealous. I got her phone #, called her up one night and she proceeded to witness to me for about 3 hours. She was very kind and sincere about it, I was totally blown away by what she was telling me. I went to a couple of meetings at the KH that she attended, experienced the love bombing, and less than a year later I took the plunge. She also got dunked around the same time, DA'd about a year later. I hung around 10 years, but wasn't much of a true believer after the first 5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit