Deleting A Poster Akin To DF'ing?

by Englishman 98 Replies latest jw friends

• radar
    radar

Hilary

I am suprised by your post.

Dissfellowshipping: To remove from fellowship

Shunning: To visably exercise your approval of such action taken.

This is what happened to Fred Hall.

Radar

• DJ
    DJ

Simon is right and if you don't like it leave..............there are more important things for him to be doing. I appreciate his standards. Thankyou Simon. Love, dj

• larc
    larc

My favorite pub has rules similiar to Englishman's and to Simon's policy. The rules at my pub apply to everyone, regardless of their length of time as a patron. If they are offensive, they are warned. If they persist, they are asked to leave. If they come back latter and aplogize, they are welcomed back. If they come back and persist in causing trouble. They are banned. The rules work well. The place is very popular, and it is a nice, peaceful place to meet with friends.

• radar
    radar

ENGLISHMAN

Yes it is silly of you once again to compare this forum to a pub.

You still do not see it do you?

Radar

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Englishman,

I can see where you are coming from. In all fairness to Simon's Pub here , anyone that doesn't like the rules has the freedom to go to the plenty of other web sites (Pubs). Also, these folks who have been banned from the forum, are not totally cut off from their friends , unlike a df'd JW, who has absolutely no where to turn. There are still plenty of other avenues open to them to communicate and associate, thanks to this age of technology.

They are banned because they obviously have difficulty abiding by someone else's established rules. This is not a Cult for sure. We are not judging them personally, but instead we are making observations about their behavior in "what they post". Simon is very fair, and more than willing to give the poster the opportunity to stay aboard.

There have to be rules in every avenue of a good workable society. We have rules in our home our families, we have rules at work. We have rules on the highway---everywhere. They are there, not only to protect the individual, but everyone else around that individual.

If we are going to become rebels for a cause, let it be for the freedom from abuse that our friends and families are still enduring while in the borg. Let it be for the compassion and healing of damaged hearts.

Certain people ban themselves from this forum, or in affect, d'a themselves, because they exceed the limits of acceptability and make the choice themselves. They know this, but they force the issue and so after many warnings, Simon had to stop them. There has to be some control over this Forum, or it will be total caos. It really all comes down to balance. Perhaps there are some here who still carry around a great deal of "guilt", and do things that will "punnish" and "hurt" them in the end.

Cheers to all of us in this happy little "Pub".

Karen

• larc
    larc

radar, I think this place is very much like a pub. See my comments above. I posted at the same time that you did.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Yes it is silly of you once again to compare this forum to a pub.

Most of the replies here seem to understand it.

Englishman.

• Xena
    Xena

Did I miss the announcement from Simon and the other moderators telling us of the d/fing ( I mean banning) of several posters???? Did I miss the letter that went out and the part where we were told not to associate with these ones or risk being d/fed yourself(I mean banned)????

HELLO....no one was d/fed....they were asked to self moderate their behavior in a public place frequented by a wide variety of people. When they were unable or unwilling to SELF moderate, they were then moderated by someone else, they then protested this by various unacceptable means (ie threatening to sue if moderated) and then were banned from this specific board.

They are free to surf the internet and associate with whomever they please, *gasp* even other posters from this board.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

E-Man:

As a moderator, I would recommend that you read all posts that fall under your watch. As you know, many insults, profanity and other uncivil actions poor over to other topics.

Simon:

I have no ulterior motive regarding Fred. I ask, in the spirit of forgiveness, to please re-activate Fred. Though I know he was removed for good reasons, based on the "Fred e-mails" postings of late, I believe he gets the point. And as you know, there were some extenuating circumstances that should be considered.

I believe that the goal here is to correct mistakes, not to punish. I dont think Fred will make the same mistake. Give him that chance, please?

• spider
    spider

You are absolutely right - its absolutely not the end of the world not to be allowed to swear on this forum. I've never sworn on it and don't intend to. It is not an issue with me - its just the inconsistency that bothers me a LITTLE. Simon isn't making absolute rules about swearing but Eman is. The result is that everyone will feel they have to play it Emans way instead of Simons way and sometimes, every now and then it seems appropriate to swear. I know this issue is getting very tired though so I won't go on about it further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit