Deleting A Poster Akin To DF'ing?

by Englishman 98 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Radar,

We must remember Radar that the WTS does have a right to disfellowship its members. Infringe upon the rules, clearly stated in WTS literature and you run the risk of being DF'd. The WTS defence of 'you knew the rules when you joined' has been repeatedly upheld in the courts over 30 years as a legal right.

The issue is whether it is morally right for the WTS to do this, whether 'shunning' which is entirely different to DF is scriptually based and sustainable ethically, and if the DF process is used as selective weaponry upon it's hapless adherents.

Best - HS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

HS: You are right, however, they represent their version of shunning as based on the Bible, so as such, is fair and just. Truly a mis-representation of what the Bible has in fact recorded.

Also, the contract you agreed to by your baptism has been "adjusted" from time to time without our permission. Is that fair?

Notwithstanding, the rules are applied differently depending on your standing with "Men in Authority." So IMHO, Radar makes some valid points...........

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Everyone wants a civil board. However, if rules exists, then apply them fairly. Sir, you have failed your own test, IMHO. Can you at least admit that?

ThiChi,

Sorry, but where have I been unfair? Please explain, if I have been unfair at all, then of course I will admit to it and apologise.

Englishman.

• spider
    spider

I do not mind the idea of moderators but I think things need to 
    consistent otherwise people do not know where they are. Is it unfair
    that people are not allowed to say the F word? Like you said it is
    Simon's place and Simon's rules but I don't think they are entirely
    Simon's rules.I think that when you say
    "The F word will always be
    		 edited out"
    you are making an absolute rule where none has previously
    existed.Infact Simon has contradicted this statement several times
    recently.
  • radar
    radar

Englishman

You are doing it again

You are comparing this open forum to a pub, Hello this is not a pub, verstehen sie?

Listen, you go to the supermarket to buy groceries, YES?

You go to the cinema (maybe with your children) to watch a movie, YES?

You got to the resturaunt to have a meal, YES?

You go to an open forum to speak openly, YES?

Repeat after me, This is a open forum in cyber space not a pub. This is a open forum in cyber space not a pub.

and presumably for consenting adults.

Radar

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Your "Point" of this topic seems to be just a rationalization of what has transpired this last week, which in fact proves my point. Defending the undefendable, IMHO.

As a moderator, did you address most (I wont even say "all" in fairness) "uncivil" remarks, putdowns, insults, cuss words, etc., etc., equally? A review of the past week shows that they were not, IMHO. How many Pro Dubs got the editing/disfellowshipping treatment compared to the non/ex Dubs? When you look at what was said on both sides, I believe the numbers are very telling.

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to attack you (I truly enjoy your posts and respect you as a person), I am just trying to point out that how things have been handled in the past, and how they could be addressed differently in the future.

Did you see that post of "YK as a doll" with his head up his ass? As a moderator, what would you recommend? How would this fly down at the Pub? Also, please respond to my other questions in my last reply.........

PS: reinstate Fred, give the guy a chance. Please?

Edited by - thichi on 22 August 2002 12:6:44

Edited by - thichi on 22 August 2002 12:9:46

• Simon
    Simon

Just to correct and clarify a couple of things ...

MRMOE HAS NOT BEEN BANNED !

I deactivated her account temporarily as she and another poster were putting copyright notices at the bottom of their posts in some kind of protest over moderation or free speach. Obviously, I could not let that continue as it would make the forum unworkable and in my opinion was just being confrontational when I had made polite requests about language and stuff.

I made a topic explaining it and sorted out (in chat I think) with one of the posters after which both accounts were reactivated.

Unfortunately, with some prodding by others who like to stirr things, MrMoe then decided she wanted to be deactivated. She made several posts on the forum requesting this and sent me emails demanding it.

If she is now claiming that she was 'disfellowshipped' then I'm afraid she is lying.

Also, I have never said that the F word will always be edited out. It all depends on the circumstances and context although there are very few times when it is really appropriate or welcome. It is not a totally hard and fast rule. If it is deemd to be inappropriate though and does get edited out then it's hardly the end of the world is it?

• Englishman
    Englishman

You are comparing this open forum to a pub, Hello this is not a pub, verstehen sie?

It's very similar to a pub Radar, it's a place for people to meet and voice opinions.

Listen, you go to the supermarket to buy groceries, YES?

Oh God, this IS going to be tedious....

You go to the cinema (maybe with your children) to watch a movie, YES?

Ah, enlightenment Grasshopper...

You got to the resturaunt to have a meal, YES?

A what?

You go to an open forum to speak openly, YES?

Why yes, of course, silly boy!

Repeat after me, This is a open forum in cyber space not a pub. This is a open forum in cyber space not a pub.

How silly of me to compare this place to a pub. A pub is where you talk and exchange opinions and enjoy the company of others whereas this site is a .....run that by me again will you?

and presumably for consenting adults.

Ah the old consenting adult ploy! Radar, I shall delight in reminding you of this post of yours next time that you huff off in one of your fits of pique.

Englishman.

Edited by - Englishman on 22 August 2002 12:16:29

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

There is an oft-quoted post from a DB eons ago positing that once someone mentions Nazis to prove a point, they've lost the argument. I think that post (which I don't agree with) was written because then, as now, any bad thing is unfavorably compared to the Nazis... and what's worse than Nazi's, right?

It's obviously a great exaggeration to compare someone who is being a bit heavy-handed on a discussion board to perpetrators of some of the worst atrocities of human history--but that's the point; it's de rigueur to make exaggerated analogies to make one's case.

Among ex-JWs, there is no worse thing you can call someone than a loyal dub. Do you think they're being stubborn? Don't call them a Nazi; call them a braindead dub! Are they being pompous? Don't tell them they'd make a good SS Officer; say they'd make a good Elder! Every big or little thing we don't like in this community will be compared to Witnesses. No matter how calmly or logically someone presents a case, they will eventually and invariably be told, "how JW of you." Translation: I can't refute what you're saying, so I'll use emotionally charged words to bully you.

This is not to say that these extreme Nazi/JW analogies aren't sometimes effective in getting a point across. I just consider the source.

To answer the question: I think most of the cries of "free speech" and "censorship" lately are coming from people who don't even comprehend the terms; and claims of being "disfellowshipped" from a discussion board are ploys to play on our ex-JW sensitivities.

Radar: Yes, this is an open (whatever that's supposed to mean) forum in cyberspace, not a pub. The similarities are that both are open to the public, and both have rules of conduct. NEITHER is a free-for-all. The ability to speak openly does NOT mean--and never has meant--freedom to say absolutely anything you want.

Hmmm

Edited by - hmmm on 22 August 2002 12:29:46

• Englishman
    Englishman

ThiChi,

OK, now I understand where you are coming from. I believe that I was fair regarding all the posts that I read. Which is an interesting point because I would normally be far more interested by posts from ex-dubs rather than the pro's.

Englishman.

Edited by - Englishman on 22 August 2002 12:15:16

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit