by Mister 8iggs 13 Replies latest social current

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-asia/2002/aug/21/082101837.html

Today: August 21, 2002 at 3:50:29 PDT

Philippine Rebels Seize Hostages

By ZENY MASONG
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

PATIKUL, Philippines- Suspected Abu Sayyaf guerrillas staged their first kidnappings since U.S. troops arrived to back a crackdown on the group, abducting at least six people who were selling Avon cosmetics door to door in a remote village.

Philippine troops responded by shelling suspected hideouts of the gang, which has been linked to al-Qaida. U.S. troops began aiding the crackdown against the Abu Sayyaf early this year after a mass kidnapping in May 2001 that included three American captives.

Jolo police chief Col. Ahiron Ajirimi said two men with pistols stopped a vehicle carrying the cosmetics sellers and forced them out Tuesday afternoon. He said the driver was left behind in the rural area of Jolo island, about 600 miles south of Manila.

Ajirimi said the driver later identified one kidnapper as Muin Maulod Sahiron, a nephew of local Abu Sayyaf leader Radullan Sahiron.

Officials initially reported that eight salespeople had been kidnapped, but two of them - the only Muslims and local residents in the group - showed up at their homes Wednesday, saying they had not been held. Police said they were investigating.

Ajirimi said six of the victims were from Zamboanga, the biggest city in the region, but were staying at a local inn and selling Avon products on Jolo island. Two women in their 40s and a 21-year-old man registered at the inn with the same last name and are likely related, he said.

A police report said the six were all Jehovah's Witnesses but said police found no evidence they were trying to evangelize in the predominantly Muslim area. The other two, Nidzmalin Sulayman and her husband Boyet, were acting as guides, Ajirimi said.

He said police found boxes of Avon cosmetics in their vehicle.

New York-based Avon Products Inc. is the world's largest direct seller of beauty products and has thousands of salespeople in the Philippines. Managers at its Manila office said they were not immediately aware of the abductions.

For six months beginning in February, about 1,200 U.S. troops trained and provided logistical and intelligence support for the Philippine army's push to eradicate the Abu Sayyaf.

The U.S. program ended officially three weeks ago, although a few Americans remained on Basilan island, which neighbors Jolo, to finish infrastructure projects. It was the first expansion of the U.S. war on terrorism outside Afghanistan.

The rebels in Jolo, about 50 miles southwest of Basilan, are from a different Abu Sayyaf faction and suffered less from the intense offensives that the military says decimated the Abu Sayyaf on Basilan.

Patikul Vice Mayor Esmon Suhuri said the Philippine army shelled suspected Abu Sayyaf hideouts around Patikul Tuesday night. Residents heard at least 10 ground-shaking artillery blasts. The fighting was the first in the war-stricken area in months.

Suhuri said the region's people were in the middle of a major harvest and renewed fighting could disrupt the relative prosperity the area has enjoyed this year.

On Wednesday, the Philippine Stock Exchange Index fell more than 2 percent on news of the kidnapping, which came amid fears of a widening national budget deficit.

The Abu Sayyaf has often kidnapped for ransom, but more frequently has abducted poor Filipinos to serve for weeks or months as slave labor.

In the past the army has refrained from launching major attacks against Abu Sayyaf while they held hostages.

Most hostages have been released, but more than a dozen have been killed in the past year, some beheaded. The group also has kidnapped women and forced them to marry guerrillas.

The last Abu Sayyaf kidnapping spree ended in June, when U.S.-trained soldiers, helped by U.S. surveillance and communications, tracked down rebels holding the last of 102 captives: American missionaries Gracia and Martin Burnham and Filipino nurse Ediborah Yap.

On June 7, soldiers rescued Mrs. Burnham, but her husband and Yap were killed. The Abu Sayyaf leader who led those kidnappings was believed killed with two of his men in a clash at sea two weeks later.

A Filipino man, Roland Ullah, is still being held from another Abu Sayyaf mass kidnapping two years ago.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hmm, very interesting...

Nikita

• tibursyuk
    tibursyuk

Military: Jolo captives
    are preachers, not salesmen

Posted: 10:19 PM (Manila Time) | Aug. 21, 2002 INQ7.net

THE MILITARY said on Wednesday the latest kidnap victims of suspected Muslim guerrillas on the southern island of Jolo were not cosmetics salesmen as earlier reported but preachers from the religious group Jehovah's Witnesses.

GMA Network's "Frontpage" newscast quoted Brig. Gen. Romeo Tolentino, commander of the 104th Brigade in Jolo, as saying they were mistakenly reported as salesmen of the cosmetics firm Avon because they were carrying an Avon bag filled with religious leaflets and herbal medicine to be distributed during their preaching mission.
    Eight people earlier identified as Avon salesmen were snatched near the Jolo town of Patikul on Tuesday by two men who hitched a ride in their van and then suddenly pulled out guns, southern Philippines military chief Lieutenant General Ernesto Carolina said.
    Two of the captives were freed Wednesday, leaving the gunmen with six captives, including five women, the military said.

There are fears that the group may have been kidnapped by allies of the Abu Sayyaf Muslim rebel group for use as human shields to ward off a military operation against them.

Patikul is a known lair of the Abu Sayyaf, known for abducting Christians and foreigners in the south. The US government earlier this year sent military advisers to nearby Basilan island to help the Filipino troops fighting the Abu Sayyaf.

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

LOL!

I thought is was a cover-up. Thanks for the assist, tibursyuk, and welcome to the Forum!

Edited by - Mister 8iggs on 21 August 2002 13:0:11

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Undercover dubs using Avon as a front? LOL!!!...OUTLAW

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Hey, OUTLAW-

I wonder what'll be next? Amway? Shaklee? LOL!

I guess Jehovah is punishing them for lying. "You Know" might be next!

• abbagail
    abbagail

I don't see where this is sooo funny! Geez. JWs, Baptist Missionaries, WHOEVER... would YOU want to be kidnapped by these monsters? I think this is terrible, whether Avon reps, herbal medicine salespeople, or JWs out preaching... people are people. Are you in the mood to be BEHEADED today? Geez!

Grits

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Hey, GRITS...

My intention is not to make light of people getting kidnapped. My laughter is directed at the thought of people posing as something that they're not, using this tactic as a means of 'theocratic warfare'. This at the direction of the local elders of the Circuit Overseer of the District Overseer of the Governing Body.

How will their "brothers" respond? Will they appeal to Caeser whom they hate? Or, will the poor victims be left spinning in the wind by the very men whose order's they were carrying out?

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm not in the mood for a head-cut today. Maybe tomorrow, though.

• Room 215
    Room 215

And how many times have we read in the WT Yearbook and other publications that the local dubbies were protected from harm in war-torn areas by boldly declaring that they were JWs?

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hey Mister 8iggs, thanks for the follow-up. You wrote:

My intention is not to make light of people getting kidnapped.

The beheading comment was not directed at you personally. I was thinking "who of any of us" would be in the mood for a beheading, today or any day. (I should be more careful to write exactly what I'm thinking,)

Mr. 8iggs also wrote:

My laughter is directed at the thought of people posing as something that they're not, using this tactic as a means of 'theocratic warfare'.

Another possibility might be this: No doubt these JWs are not well-off financially. Possibly the Avon bag was being used merely as a receptacle to carry literature, and not as a purposeful "disguise." Possibly the less-financially-well-off Philippino's will use ANY type of "bag" they have at their disposal to carry around their literature, unlike those of us in more affluent countries who had the means to go out and buy specific leather briefcases, large purses, etc. just for our "JW stuff." Who knows for sure? If it was a large Avon satchel, possibly they used it to carry along a big load of literature since it sounds like they were planning to cover alot of territory, and it was the biggest "bag" they had at their disposal. I mean, when asked by the terrorists, did they say, "We are Avon reps" (in order to disguise themselves) or did they say, "We are JWs." Evidently they said who they really were, because the article says the two Muslims (2 of the 8 total captured) were released and back home the same night. JWs are usually "proud" to say who they are, even in life-threatening situations, because, as we all remember, "persecution is to be expected" etc. etc. and is the "divine opportunity to show loyalty to Jah/God even unto death," etc. etc. (Remember the Awake! mag a few years ago about terrorist kidnappings, etc... No doubt that particular mag will get alot of publicity over this, i.e., how the JWs have been "educated in advance" about how to act in such situations, etc.)

8iggs also wrote:

How will their "brothers" respond? Will they appeal to Caeser whom they hate? Or, will the poor victims be left spinning in the wind by the very men whose order's they were carrying out?

On this point I gotta go with you. My first reaction when I saw AVON, I thought, "Well, good, Avon is a huge company and maybe they will pay ransom to get their reps out of there." --- And, yes, as far as Caesar, I would bet the GB would "appeal to Caesar" as Paul did, IN THIS CASE, but not so in the case of the pedophiles!

8iggs also wrote:

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm not in the mood for a head-cut today. Maybe tomorrow, though.

I don't even like going for a haircut, much less a head-cut.

Room 215 wrote:

And how many times have we read in the WT Yearbook and other publications that the localdubbies were protected from harm in war-torn areas by boldly declaring that they were JWs?

Well, it "ain't over yet." Let's see how this plays out. Surely the WTS will NOT be paying ransom to get them out, and unless the rebels are very saavy, I wouldn't think they would even realize the JWs had "any money in the bank" (at HQ -- unless Al Qaeda has been reading this forum!); so I can't imagine their reason for kidnapping them was for money. Most likely they saw "AVON" and thought, "Ah! Big American Company. Big Bucks!" Now that they know they are poor pitiful JWs, they may just kill them off. What do the rebels have to gain by hanging on to them? (well, the article did mention using certain people as slave labor).

In any event, as a fellow human on the planet, I hope they all get out safe. It made me sooo sad when that Baptist missonary guy was killed during the rescue, after suffering in captivity for over a year. How sad to be at the mercy of terrorists for that long, and then not to make it out of there alive, like his wife did.

Grits

Edited by - Grits on 21 August 2002 15:58:47

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit