My Therapist Must Think I'm Absolutely Nuts!

by Swan 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

Good point larc. He may not be an exit counselor, but he is getting me to look at one situation in a very healthy manner. Thanks again.

• Princess
    Princess

Tammy, I know what you mean. I often find myself trying to explain the JW's to a good friend of mine and she just shakes her head. She is absolutely amazed at what I've told her. Last week we were taking the kids on a trip to Hood River (long drive as you know) and I was explaining Bethel to her. I usually end the discussions with laughter. It all sounds so totally crazy I can't believe it ever seemed normal.

As for the comment about being raised in a religious cult, it does sound odd doesn't it? I was just thinking about it last week. Make some interesting conversation at a party or something.

"So, what's your story?"

"Well, I was raised in a religious cult."

That would put an end to the pregnant pauses wouldn't it?

Rachel

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    Jehovah's Witnesses have similar convictions in our faith, only we direct our efforts into more peaceful pursuits.

Raping young children is hardly peacefule, tearing familys apart is hardly peaceful, letting a child die because of no blood transfusion is hardly peaceful. And finally disfellowshiping people for protecting children is hardly peaceful, JW's are not about peace.

Edited by - Trauma_Hound on 21 August 2002 1:17:45

• Swan
    Swan

Dear Rachel,

I know what you mean! And what gets me is that most people I know think JWs are another religion, with a few strange quirks. They look at you incredulously when you describe it as a cult. I think they think of a cult as the Bagwan, or Jim Jones, or the Branch Davidians. They totally miss the point that more JWs have died from refusing blood transfusions, organ transplants, and vaccinations than have died from drinking Jones Kool-aid. They never stop to think that JW's have given up more valuables and careers to pioneer and go to Bethel than ever followed the Bagwan.

That's why the Steve Hassan book was so good for me way back when I first read it shortly after leaving the JWs. It helped me realize that they were a cult. It just hasn't really sunk in till lately that they are as just as screwy as the followers of the Bagwan, Jim Jones, Hale Bopp, Branch Davidians, etc.

Tammy <=== still shaking her head in disbelief

• Europe
    Europe

Dont worry UglyDuckling.........they wont come and fetch you and put you in that straight jacket as they probably have no room for another 5.999.999 storytellers!!!

• Dia
    Dia

I am loving this article, "Paradise postponed..and postponed". I hope you find something useful here. The first part is a summation of other studies, but the rest of it, under, 'Why are the problems so great?' is really helpful for an exjw to consider the dynamics of their former world.

www.equip.org/free/DJ601.htm

Hope it helps.

• ugg
    ugg

i am in therapy also u.duck....i live in a very small commuity so do
    not have the option of "shopping around" for a choice therapist..but
    like you,,,i explain about things in the organization and gave the
    therapist a copy of the up date of dis'f and dis'a "rules" in the
    august km....i share these things in writing,,because to talk about it
    it all sounds so nuts...i am just sure the therapist doesn't believe
    me...it is such a horror story,,,how could they???? by doing this i
    feel better...my therapist believes me however,,,it is just my
    insecurities...the organization has a way of haunting all aspects of
    life...i do not mean to ramble on,,,i just wanted to share this with
    you so you did not feel you were alone...i am doing better since going
    and i hope it turns out for you also..explain exactly how you are feeling
    to your therapist...see what he says...hang in there!

• Celtic
    Celtic

Hello Swan

I wouldn't worry too much, you can't be anywhere near as unsane as I thought I was when I seeked out assistance for the turmoils going through my head, 5 psychologists in total.

Figure this out, this was the conumdrum I represented them with.

Not only did I firmly believe that I was born in the wrong sexual gender, thinking for many years that some genetic mutation had taken place, a woman trapped in a mans body but also just to double whammy the situation I also thought I should have been born a black man and not a white man. When I first told the therapists this, I was so sure that they would think I was completely cracked and like you, believed that at any moment, a concern I raised with the counsellor, that they would cart me off to the nearest mental institution to section me, straightjacket an all.

12 months later, it turns out I'm one of only 10 individuals in the country as of late 1999 who had purposely put themselves through a certain psychological process involving rebirthing. They told me that I had proved myself to be quite exceptional at very complex problem solving and communication strategy, personally reccommending me for taking up training at one of the top conflict resolution universities in the world. Some time after, despite not having any qualifications to my name at all, I was offered an interview in Oxford Brookes University to study Entrepreneurship For The 21st Century by Professor Roger Mumby-Croft and also invited to partake in the Oxford Chamber of Commerce Business Breakfast charged with heightening the profile of the city of Oxford in England.

So, don't worry please, there is genius in madness, take it from one that knows.

Kind regards

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK

http://www.can-online.org.uk

http://www.selfdirection.org

• scumrat
    scumrat

Hey, Jehovahs Witnesses are about peace. They want every piece of you they can get their hands on and then when their done using you, they SILENCE YOU

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I've noticed that, since I've been out and have tried to explain to people what my former religion was, the words sound insane as they're leaving my mouth. I can't believe I believed this! It is a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit