My Therapist Must Think I'm Absolutely Nuts!

by Swan 32 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know

ARe you serious?

Yes, of course I am serious. / You Know

• minimus
    minimus

YOU KNOW, how could you come to this conclusion?

• You Know
    You Know
    YOU KNOW, how could you come to this conclusion?

By thinking. / You Know

Edited by - You Know on 20 August 2002 23:28:51

• Swan
    Swan

Yes Joy,

I talked to him about what you said (at the Apostafest) to me.

I am still evaluating him and wondering seriously if he ever will catch up. I have one more appointment scheduled, but if we don't make any serious headway, it will be the last. He believes that it is better for him to not know anything about JWs and thus provide me with validation and a fresh perspective about my experiences. I have my doubts.

I voiced my concern yesterday to my MD that he doesn't seem to be very up on exit counseling issues. She agreed to send me elsewhere if it doesn't work out.

Tammy

• minimus
    minimus

What's the matter, YOU KNOW, you are starting to sound like FRED HALL!!!

• Swan
    Swan

You Know wrote,

Why should your shrink think that's crazy? Actually millions of young men have left home, some voluntarily, others conscripted, they have shaved their heads and have gone through months of tortuous boot camp, just to learn how to go kill other people in far away lands. For low pay I might add. In spite of how dangerous and crazy the military experience seems, there are those who have strong convictions that their country is right and that they are willing to kill and to be killed for their country. Jehovah's Witnesses have similar convictions in our faith, only we direct our efforts into more peaceful pursuits. Too, other young people join the Peace Corp and are willing to live in poverty in some 3rd world nation in order to do what they feel is right. What's so crazy about that? / You Know

I have often thought that the military was very cult-like in it's approach too. I think You Know has a very good point in showing the parallels between the military's cult tactics and the JW ones.

Tammy

• larc
    larc

U.D., your therapist may be a cognitive behaviorist. They believe that it is more important to spend time on the present and make a plan for where you are going in the future. That could explain why he is not encouraging you to delve into the past.

• Swan
    Swan

Patio,

It just hit me that I WAS RAISED IN A RELIGIOUS CULT. I have known that for quite some time, especially after reading Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control. But even knowing that, it still sometimes hits me that I WAS RAISED IN A RELIGIOUS CULT! I just have to stop and shake my head. It all seems like some weird dream, yet it was my whole life! Did you ever just have days like that where the realization just hits you all at once like that.

WOW!

Tammy <=== Still shaking her head

• Swan
    Swan

larc wrote:

U.D., your therapist may be a cognitive behaviorist. They believe that it is more important to spend time on the present and make a plan for where you are going in the future. That could explain why he is not encouraging you to delve into the past.

He does seem to talk about that; and working on me and how I will relate to the situation. I will ask him if he is a cognitive behaviorist. Thanks for explaining that.

Tammy

• larc
    larc

U.D., if he is, I think you should stay with him/her. You can discuss the past with us as you need to. After all, we understand your past far better than your therapist ever will. At the same time, you can learn from your therapist about how to deal in the present and make yourself a good future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit