"APPLES 'N ONIONS" (my father, who used to cook mah-ve-lous-ly taught me...)
Some apples... say, about six medium... any kind, depending on how "sweet" you want the end result... peeled and "chunked", like potatoes
Some onions... one medium yellow (or, if you prefer, about one cup sweet vidalia or green), chopped
Some bacon... thick slab and, say, about six slices... crisped (so, for me, that means broiled), crumbled...
Bacon drippings (grease)
Cook like you would "smothered" potatoes, cabbage, squash:
1. Heat drippings (or leave on heat after cooking...)
2. Add onions and "carmelize" slightly
3. Add potatoes and 1/4 cup water
4. Cover and simmer until soft
5. If desired, remove cover toward end of cooking and let "brown", you know, like hash browns...
NOTE: You can do this with potatoes and just add an apple or two...
SJ, who hasn't had lunch yet and so really is getting hungry now...
Edited by - AGuest on 20 August 2002 17:7:33