Oprah Awards $50,000 to Silent Lambs

by abbagail 32 Replies latest jw friends

• abbagail
    abbagail

Ah Ha!! Now that I got your attention...

Well, Oprah hasn't YET awarded $50,000 to Silent Lambs, but she very well COULD if enough of us "NOMINATE" SilentLambs (Bill/Sheila/Joe/Barbara, et al) for Oprah's "USE YOUR LIFE AWARD." Any regular Oprah-watchers will know what I'm referring to; that during the season, she presents various individuals (on Monday's show each week) with this Award for their service to their cause (along with the big fat check)...

What is the requisite for these people and their groups to receive the "Use Your Life Award"? The description from her website is posted below. Now, tell me that is not the absolute "spot on" description of what Bill, et al. have done on behalf of the lambs?

Klaus Vollmer had suggested on another thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34712&site=3&page=5> that Silent Lambs needs a sponsor. Well, until we can find a sponsor, maybe some recognition, publicity, and cashola from Oprah will hold over the operations/expenses/aiding of the silenced lambs. Therefore, would you please visit the link below and fill out the quick form, NOMINATING Silent Lambs/Bowens/Andersons, et al. to be awarded Oprah's "Use Your Life Award." (I did mine late yesterday).

Thanks for reading and "obeying"!

(joking joking on the "obeying" part. Couldn't resist... sorry! :-)

Really guys and girls, THANKS!!!
    Grits

Please Go Here: https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=B9600001

Oprah.com is part of the Oxygen family of websites

Use Your Life Award Nominations

Do you know someone who you think deserves our "Use Your Life" Award? Do you know someone who is making a difference by improving the lives of others? Do you know an "everyday angel" who has chosen to open his or her eyes and heart to help someone in need? If you know someone who has reached out, started an organization to improve the lives of others in their own neighborhood or community - someone who found their own way to make a difference - then The Oprah Winfrey Show wants to hear from you.

Fill out the form | Back to Be On The Show

Please fill out this form completely, then click "Submit" to e-mail your message to The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Name E-mail Address
    Street Address Day Phone
    City Evening Phone
    State/Province Zip / Postal Code
    Country Age
    Tell us your story

TM & Copyright 2002 Oxygen Media .... All Rights Reserved.

Edited by - Grits on 19 August 2002 8:36:29

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

I just filled it out! What a Great idea...Silentlambs is definitely deserving of this award!

• abbagail
    abbagail

Whew! Thanks mpatrick! Your comments and effort is appreciated! I was a bit "afeared" I'd get slammed for the subject line "teaser." ;)

When I originally went to Oprah's site yesterday, I was merely thinking to post a usual 'Be On The Show' idea (to suggest Mrs. Bowen/Sheila after reading her DA letter to the GB last week), but then I saw/remembered the "Use Your Life Award," I thought, PERFECT! Get publicity for the silentlambs AND maybe some moola at the same time!

I gotta hit the sack and get some sleep. Been up all night. So if I miss anybody else's replies during the day, I'll see ya later in the PM!

Grits

Edited by - Grits on 19 August 2002 9:23:14

• outnfree
    outnfree

WOW! How wonderful would THAT be, if silentlambs won?!!!!

I just wrote in with my nomination, too. (I also mentioned that not only did I think Bill was deserving of the award, but that the silentlambs issue was also deserving of a segment on Oprah!)

Thanks for the heads up, GRITS!

out

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Stunning idea Grits, with a real chance at making something happen. I'll obey.

Thanks for pointing this out.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Well I listend to and followed directions and sent in a nomination too...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

This is a really good idea..I like it!...OUTLAW

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

Well, I added my $ 0.50 worth and I do agree that it's a WONDERFUL idea. I'm adjusting for inflation.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Well, you got my attention and my vote too. This is what I wrote:

Bill Bowen is an ANGEL!!! He is the one who started the Silentlambs.org site. He has opened the eyes of THOUSANDS of Jehovah's Witness who thought they were alone in an everyday nightmare. Sexually abused survivors now have a place to go to and find healing ,and he has stood up against the Jehovah's Witnesses Headquarters demanding a change in their policy. I never knew the problem was worldwide, I thought it was only my congregation, and so did every other sexual abuse victim. Because of Bill Bowen, we know we are not alone and been able to come together and not be silent anymore, now we have the courage to fight back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Bill deserves this award cause it will be used to help more victims and keep silentlambs available to so many more who need it.
    Thank you Jesika Thoman

I took a couple sentences off cause I needed to. But that is the basic idea of what i wrote. I am going to see if this is posted on silentlambs, if not I will pass on the idea. GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sf
    sf

Dear Oprah Winfrey,

I would like to add my nomination for Lifetime Award to Bill Bowen of www.silentlambs.org for achieving some of his goals in helping sexually abused kids and abused survivors, thus 'silentlambs', in the Watchtower/Jehovahs Witness church. This by having the story air on three primetime tv programs: BBC's 'Panorama' 7/14/02--Datelie NBC 5/28/02 and CNN Connie Chung Tonight that aired very recently, and also the hotline he has set up for calls, and website for a support network.

He is planning a 'Silentlambs March' in New York (WTBTS headquarters) Sept. 27, 2002 (< http://www.silentlambs.org/SILENTLAMBS%20MARCH%209-27-02%20INFORMATION.htm ).

He deserves this for exposing such gross crimes within an org. that claims they are near perfect in God's eyes and continually fail to admit ANY fault or search for any solutions or compensation for it's 'followers' who are
    victims and/or survivors.

Please Oprah, consider this nomination and all others that may come your way.

Sincerely, s.f. California

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit