Tiring of Anti-JW causes?

by ashitaka 48 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I'm kind of burnt out from being pissed off at JWs. Tonight, while talking to a friend who left at the same time I did (several years ago), we both spoke of our apathy towards the whole anti-witness movement.

Recently I helped in several anti-JW actions, and I thought I made a difference, although it was a pittens compared to others who have come before.

Does anyone feel that same apathy? Is the uphill battle fighting brainwashed people getting to you? My family is out ( almost entirely), yet I can't shake this bad feeling that fighting the Witnesses if self-destructive and not good for any person to take on as a cause.

Silentlambs is one thing. Constantly trying to get the loyalist Witnesses to see the folly of their vindictive Organization is another. What difference are we making? Is it really anything at all?

Perhaps I'm a bit lost; I'm beginning to feel like the history of my life has been negated by the fact that most of my childhood was spent living and fighting the worst aspects of a religous lie. There's a certain emptiness to have no childhood milestones, or memories of beautiful days as a kid.

I have some fond memories of playing with kids from around the block, but those are always followed with the fights I had with JWs about my friend's potential status at Armageddon. I couldn't accept that my good friends who I played kickball with, we're going to be killed in the fury of God.

And so, after all these years of fighting, I'm feel tired and empty. I come to the board, and see JWD fighting like animals. We're like dogs with no toys to play with. The big battles have been fought and we're kind of waiting for the WT to get their comeuppance. In the meantime, though.......

What is our status as people right now? What determines the value of us as persons, and if we do not believe in a God at all, what actions should be part of our lives in order to make it full and rich? I appeal especially to people who feel the same way I do, but those who have moved to other religions are welcome as well.

ash

• larc
    larc

Ashi, I have been out for a very long time. I have not made the contribution like Ray Franz, Jim Penton, JanH, Kent, Farkel, AlanF, Randy Watters, Amazing, Simon, etc, etc. My contributions have been minimal by comparison. So, why am I here? Because at a micro - individual level, perhaps I can help someone. I don't want to change the world. However, if I can be a positive influence on a person or two, I will be happy.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Larc,

Somehow I know you'd answer this one.

I agree with you, but after being here for almost a year, I can't say I've helped anyone. That bothers me, I think.

Leaving the Witnesses for me wasn't hard, just annoying and time consuming. Yet, coming to the board, I see people who've had it so bad that they contemplate suicide. And yet, I have nothing useful to offer them. Perhaps unqualified people like myself shouldn't try to help people 'coming out' anyway.

Could that be dangerous? The unstable trying to help the unstable? Perhaps sites like this should advocate seeking some professional counseling before telling their life story to stangers who could tear them down if they say the wrong thing.

If I were a mentally unstable person, coming here and being degraded for some reason would be crushing.

That's why I'm losing faith in the whole anti-movement. I think that there's so many people coming out now, that 'helping' is not really helping at all.....it's really merely relating to people. Instead of developing some new qualities, the old JW qualities are recycled and resued on another set of people, just not with the rules that the JWs enforced.

I think I'm just frustrated at people being hurt, thrown away, shunned, lost, then never being able to move on, spinning their wheels as EXJWs. When is the right time to move on?

Are we making a positive difference and is our difference healthy to people who may need help beyond what we can give?

ash

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

I'm not out to change the world. I'm out to show the world can't change me.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I'd like to write an illustrated childrens story - not quite as blunt as the one I've started (see Bible Research section), especially for any parents whose children are taken into the org against their will. The story, while a tale, should inform them well about what is happening, and ring true when an attempted ban is made upon them reading it.

If you would like to assist, please present your ideas and impressions on the bible research thread - see "the people and the tower" - and break the spell.

thepaduan

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

JC-

Good point. I was thinking of something along those lines, too. But, do we have a responsibility to people exiting the JWs or no?

ash

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Hey, there might even be money to be made from printing and publishing.

thepaduan

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I probably won't be of much help, never having been a JW, but some a couple of comments...

I can see why you're feeling burnt out...that's just a part of life in anything we over concentrate our efforts...work, family, this board, whatever; so from that standpoint alone you probably need to drawback a little, or just take a vacation. This board can be addictive. A few weeks ago I had to rethink coming here...I almost said one of those GOODBYES..but instead, I just made up some 'mental' rules for coming to this board. I just monitor it maybe once a day and try to be very selective in what I read and post. I give myself a time limit, then I "let it go" and get on with life. Since I've been doing that, I've felt much more 'freedom' (I know, remember I said it was addictive).

Having said that, I think this board accomplishes a lot. My friend is a JW. I don't think they'll ever change, but because of this board, I understand them better. This board has a lot of 'crazyness' about it, but it is at its' best when people relate their experiences of being part of what you'all call THE BORG. I think this board is very theraputic on many levels. You can't change every JW, but you do bring hope and happiness to countless people who are searching for answers. You also provide a comraderie for people who have been df'd or da'd and are without family or friends. This board plays a VERY valuable role in transitioning some people 'til they can get back on their feet socially.

There are many other things I can think of why your 'voice' is important, but I think other JW's with similar experiences can probably speak more 'in-tune' with what you're feeling.

Let me say, without getting too 'religious' on you, I do believe in a personal God, one who is concerned with us.....I know, I know, some of our life experiences seem to yell at us that this can't be true, and I'm not here to defend my statement. Only, take heart and maybe even if you don't believe that life is a journey to gain experience for our benefit in some distant future, others do...and maybe they just might be right.....and just maybe, you'll look back at all this and will totally understand how this all fits together.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

AP-

I probably wouldn't be a good choice. Can't write for shiznit.

DE-

Thanks for the post. It was comforting.

I have no ideas about eternity...perhaps my lack of a stand on the issue is another problem for me. I like to know where I'm going in life; financially, relationship-wise, and spiritually.

Again, thanks for the words.

ash

• TR
    TR

Hey Ashi,

I know what you're talking about. I'm basically in the same boat. The 'hovahs wasted alot of my time, and made my marriage difficult, but I'm way beyond that now. I really don't know what it's like to suffer the way some have in dealing with the 'hovah Society.

I get the feeling that if I try to pursue individual 'hovahs with knowledge that the WTS is completely bogus, I may inadvertantly be destroying a sort of "ignorant bliss", and cause divisions myself. Like my bro, for instance. He and his wife, a life long 'hovah, believe the 'hovah crap, but they act pretty much like most decent "worldly" people. They visit us, we visit them, even though he knows I'm 'postate. This probably isn't the norm among 'hovahs, but I guess it works.

Hey, I figure forums like this, where much info is shared, does more to help than dropping a few tidbits to some 'hovah we know, where we might just alienate them.

TR

Edited by - TR on 18 August 2002 2:8:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit