Jehovah's Witnesses activity game - Dressing and Undressing Children

by jwleaks 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• rebel8
    rebel8

ToesUp, 30 years behind the times is catching up for them. :)

For those of you who thought the paper dolls were sick, can you explain more about that? These look like just regular old-fashioned children's toys. It's not saying let Brother Pedobear zip your jeans...

Maybe it's a generational thing, those who aren't familiar with paper dolls find it more shocking because it involves undressing?

• finally awake
    finally awake
    I used to play with paper dolls, they were fairly popular in my area in the mid 1970s. But I seem to remember that my paper dolls had actual printed underwear, not just blank white space.  It does seem really out of date, and micromanaging in the sense of telling people exactly what to wear, but that's it.  I do not get a pedophile/creeper vibe from it.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    I used to play with paper dolls, they were fairly popular in my area in the mid 1970s. But I seem to remember that my paper dolls had actual printed underwear, not just blank white space.  It does seem really out of date, and micromanaging in the sense of telling people exactly what to wear, but that's it.  I do not get a pedophile/creeper vibe from it.

I think that people's differing reactions to these WTS 'dress-up' dolls could be due to age differences.

I, too, played with paper dolls, not in the 70s, but in the 60s. They were once very popular.

However, in today's climate of pedophiles being finally 'outed' and prosecuted, dressup dolls have come to be associated on two levels with pedophilia.

First, underage sex websites are notorious for linking to sites that offer dressup dolls. I stumbled across some of those links many years ago when my daughter was young and we were searching for doll activities to download.

Secondly, dolls have been used for forensic interviewing purposes when dealing with potential victims of sexual abuse.

http://www.ipt-forensics.com/journal/volume1/j1_1_5.htm

In today's culture, the concern about using dressup dolls for religious indoctrination does, I think, have some validity as not being suitable.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    ORPHANCROW - I did not know that. Interesting.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    The game itself may well be innocent in the hands of innocent people, but it's not the innocent we need to be concerned about, it's the undetected pedophile that sees an opportunity to ask children to play dress-ups- just like Jehovah does. Pedophiles don't think like normal people, and making undressing a game to children is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    The game itself may well be innocent in the hands of innocent people, but it's not the innocent we need to be concerned about, it's the undetected pedophile that sees an opportunity to ask children to play dress-ups- just like Jehovah does. Pedophiles don't think like normal people, and making undressing a game to children is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Exactly.

I agree.

Just because dressup dolls seem innocuous to those who wouldn't think of using them for nefarious purposes, doesn't mean that those with sexual grooming of children in mind won't use them for that.

In the hands of a pedophile, dressup dolls can be a valuable tool.

I am surprised that the WTS is using dress up dolls for JW children - somebody, somewhere up there in the WTS hierarchy, should be aware of the potential abuse that these dolls could generate.

• Simon
    Simon

I remember those cutout people - didn't they have little square tabs that you bent over the shoulders? Ah, next I'll start to reminisce about fuzzy-felt. Man, they could fob us off with all manner of cheap crap back then.

I doubt there is any genuine danger in a cutout game for kids - are we going to suggest that Toys'r'Us stop selling dolls? It's just ironic and unfortunate the notion of anything that combines children and undressing coming from an organization which fails to properly deal with internal child abuse issues.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    are we going to suggest that Toys'r'Us stop selling dolls?

No.

That is not a fair comparison.

Religious indoctrination within a closed community is not the same as a retail outlet.

• clarity
    clarity

The problem that I have with it, is that, it will accustom a jw child to the game of 'taking off clothes', an activity that a paedophlile could zero in on!

As a child, my paper dolls were not promoted by a cult who has many child abusers in it as well as a 'two witness' rule! 

clarity 

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Is Sophia wearing white spanx and are they tight short pants on Caleb?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit