• Europe
    Europe

To Monster:

I was in saudi
    You were? Me too!!! 1987-1993
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek

Zechariah, you're full of crap.

If anyone can't see why, let me know and I'll try to post a more detailed rebuttal.

• Mackin
    Mackin

I have come to the conclusion that God exists if you believe he does.

If you believe God exists, then he does, for you. You will then look at the world from an "I believe in God" point of view. You will find evidence of God in all sorts of places because you want to.

I was raised in a JW household. When I was a teenager I had serious doubts about the existence of God and almost left the Borg. But then for various reasons I chose to continue with them and buried my doubts. And yes, for a lot of years I believed in God, he was real to me, and the bible was his word. I became locked into the JW system and that belief philosophy was necessary to exist as a JW.

However now that I have escaped the Borg, I no longer believe in any literal existence of "God." I don't have anything against anyone who does believe in God however. For many, such a belief is a good thing. And if believing works for you, then who am I to criticise.

The thing I don't like is the rules that religions (like a certain one we all know and love, well maybe not love exactly) impose on people, mostly to their detriment. I'm not afraid of Armageddon because I know that such a thing is not real, but rather a device invented by religions to subjugate their adherents. It has certainly worked well for the 'dubs!

Mackin.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I was going to ask if I could hijack this thread, as the atheists do on the "Belief" threads, but I see that has already been done.

~wanders off into corner to dance~

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Monster,

Good question! I appreciate the chance to offer my experience on becoming an atheist.

I would phrase it that I just couldn't continue to convince myself there IS a god. Armageddon didn't enter my thought processes.

As the Bible says "look to nature" (a paraphrase). I did and when really considering the violence in nature and the violence of the dinosaurs who lived before any humans (therefore "Adam" too), then I just couldn't believe in god anymore. It was irreconcilable.

Then I did some investigation on my own, in books by actual scientists on evolution.

Pat

• SYN
    SYN

Us humans are pretty good at blowing up, like, planets, dude! Why the hell would we need "God" to do something we can do perfectly well ourselves? REALLY!

• Zechariah
    Zechariah
    Zechariah, you're full of crap.If anyone can't see why, let me know and I'll try to post a more detailed rebuttal.

FunkyDerek....... I for one if that counts fail to understand why I am full of crap. Please try to give a more detailed rebuttal. Your rebuttal so far had no detail at all. ..............................
    Zechariah

• Swan
    Swan

Golden Girl asked:

For those that don't believe in God or Armageddon...did you ever believe? What about when you were a J.W.?

Did you believe anything then? Or is that maybe why you left?

Yes, I truly believed! And I was scared to death that I wouldn't measure up and would be destroyed! I grew up my whole life thinking that if Jehovah can read your heart and mind, then I would truly die when Armageddon came. In 1975 I was glad it didn't come. I was so scared I would not make it. I tried so hard to be a good person, and not to feel the way I did.

Eventually I learned that I was a good person, and that my feelings were only natural. That's when I began to doubt.

Mackin, you wrote:

However now that I have escaped the Borg, I no longer believe in any literal existence of "God." I don't have anything against anyone who does believe in God however. For many, such a belief is a good thing. And if believing works for you, then who am I to criticise.

The thing I don't like is the rules that religions (like a certain one we all know and love, well maybe not love exactly) impose on people, mostly to their detriment. I'm not afraid of Armageddon because I know that such a thing is not real, but rather a device invented by religions to subjugate their adherents. It has certainly worked well for the 'dubs!

I really agree with you. I think religion can be a very good thing and a very positive thing for some people. Just not for me.

Cults, on the other hand, I personally think are evil, because they don't allow a person to think for themselves, or reach these decisions on their own. I doubt Jim Jones followers or the Hale-Bopp followers would have chosen death if they had been able to make their own decisions.

Tammy

• Zechariah
    Zechariah

My personal meditations on the scriptures have lead me to conclude the following about Armageddon.

(====) The WT concept of Armageddon is their version of hellfire and the fear of it is used to keep the membership in line. This viewpoint has no validity nor is supported by scripture. (====) First of all God has encouraged christians to not let their battle be against flesh and blood but against wicked spirit forces. Certainly therefore his own battles would not be against flesh and blood. (====) Armageddon must therefore certainly be a spiritual battle against demonic spirit forces. Even though spoken of in literal terms in Revelation it must be understood it is symbolic of spiritual things. (====) Basically the Battle of Armageddon is a battle of good vs. evil in which good (the spirit of Christ) will win out. This battle was longtime recognized as such a spiritual battle by Charles Russel in his Studies in the scriptures book "The Battle Of Armageddon". (====) He accurately predicted almost 100 years in advance the current world political climate. He described the gathering together of the nations to the battle as being accomplished by means of "advanced communication". (====) Certainly he was referring to telephone, radio, television, and of course the internet. It is in this fashion the nations are gathering themselves together (on both sides) in a joint effort against all the satanic problems that the world globally faces. The War on Terrorism is a major phase of this battle. (====) Armageddon is not to come but is already ongoing. All the descriptions of blood and bodies are symbolic. Just as the descriptions of earthquakes, floods, etc. (====) There is no reason for the righteous to fear the battle. The righteous are all those who love God and their fellow man. They thus are submitting themselves to the spirit of Christ prophecied to take over in the earth and subject all nations to itself. This does not mean their destruction as it was prophecied that after the Battle the only nations that will prosper will be thoswho make pilgrimages (symbolically) to Jerusalem. (******) Zechariah (******)

• Monster
    Monster

Let me give another thank you to everyone who responsed. I really didn't expect this much of a reply. Just think only last night I went out got drunk. I come in to see what was said, I am amazed.

Many of you talk why you stop believing in god, and you have some pretty good reasons for doing so. I personally believe there is a god. There has to be someone out there besides ourselves. I don't know if there will ever be an end of the world they way it's taught by religions, but I feel maybe one day we like the anicent lizards will die off in some kind of ice age again. If it happened once who's to say it can't happen again. If there's a god who's going to destroy the world I don't know why he wouldn't do so now we are in pretty bad shape when it comes to most things. (Just my opinion). Sad to say but most of you stop believing in god because of religion. Which makes me wonder;RELIGION WHAT IS GOOD FOR?..

Thank you everyone!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit