So...anyone play 'America's Army'?

by Xander 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Xander
    Xander

http://www.americasarmy.com

Edited by - Xander on 19 August 2002 12:52:1

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I'm slowly downloading the game. A file or two each day. At this rate I'll be playing by christmas.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

No thanks, Xander. I played US Army for real from February 1969 to March of 1977. That was enough for me. Can't say it was always much fun.

Lew W

• Xander
    Xander

Well, no, I'd imagine not. I don't have any plans to actually join said army (I...uhhh....spend WAY too much time 'dead' in this game to feel any urge to run off and do it for real... - more of a navy tradition in the family, anyway. But I'm 'old' and married and with a house and cars, et al - so I don't think I'll actually be doing any such thing in this life.)

AA:R is a decent game, though. And free.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

So I got the game to work and applied online. They told me to see my email to know how to verify my account. Only problem is they never sent me an email. It pisses me off because I can only do the first marksmen course and I've gotten "Sharpshooter" every time so it's time to move on.

By the way, if hitting a target in this game is realistic then I'm a killing machine. I think I'll sleep better tonight in that knowledge.

• Xander
    Xander

Only problem is they never sent me an email

I'm assuming you provided a valid email address when creating your character...

As to not getting an email - that doesn't surprise me this week. I haven't even been able to log on to any server at all - the authorization servers are down.

This is almost 100% likely to be caused by the upgrade they are doing today. I guess the 'rangers' patch will be out tonight or tomorrow, and I understand they have a history of all the auth servers getting buggered up after being upgraded (the servers must be upgraded before the client distribution is released).

• tdogg
    tdogg

Xander i have been playing for a while now, just doing the new missions but I think they suck. I t would be nice to play with a good team. Some of the levels are very unbalanced. Assault on bridge is very hard, defending Insugent Camp is near impossible without a team that knows each other. The new airborne mission is ridiculous to defend, not even fun to assault bacause of it. It is an addictiong game however. Is your screen name Xander in the game?

• Xander
    Xander

Yup. Actually, 'XanderF'. I'll probably be on much over the weekend - the wife works.

Assault on bridge is very hard

It seems that way at first.

Trust me, though. With a 'good' team - it is EASY. You can't rush at first, spread out - have a couple guys (with a SAW if possible) go to the hills to the far right where you can lay down some suppression fire on the defense (almost always 1 or 2 def guys will rush the arch and be prime picking).

After a couple minutes of this, slowly approach the arch. Don't get too close. Basically, lay down suppression fire so that the sniper can take out the guys in the windows (there are ALWAYS guys in the windows). Have a unit or two with the 203 toss a few grenades at the stairs of the opposing bridge.

That will take care of almost ALL the bad guys - in fact, I've seen games won because all the bad guys ended up dead using said attack.

If any are left, they are usually (stupidly) trying to sneak around behind the defense, or are camping in the hills behind the bridge. You do have to watch out for the campers. Have one or two guys suppress the hills with grenades and gunfire while 1 or 2 more run for the exit.

new airborne mission is ridiculous to defend, not even fun to assault bacause of it.

That one WAS designed as a trainer mission. I think they borked it, though. I guess we'll see if some decent defense tactics arise.

defending Insugent Camp is near impossible

Really?

I always thought defense on this map was easy.

Couple tricks:

1) STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE WINDOWS!!! Seriously. And don't leave the building.

2) 2 guys should be on the bottom PC - one deeper into the tunnels facing 'out', the other just inside it (from the base) facing the door to keep anyone from coming in the back way. Make sure you know who the other guy is, so if you see his death message go by, run to his location (or throw a nade that way).

Similarly, 2 guys on the top PC. One in the stairway - real far down so a nade into the upper room won't get him. He just needs to keep poking his head up to make sure no one is on the upper PC. Another guy in the room with a SAW on bipod covering the two doors.

3) Everyone else should just be walking around inside the base STAYING AWAY FROM THE DAMN WINDOWS!!!!

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

So I finally got myself registered and made it all the way to the night vision training mission. I can't see a damn thing in those tunnels even with the night vision. I keep getting lost and killing the civilian because I use the muzzle flash of my rifle for light.

• tdogg
    tdogg

gsx -turn up your gamma correction, F9 or F10 i think

Xander, I agree that you can do those maps with a good team but how often can you get on a public server that has guys who want to work as a team? Now and then I can but mostly everyone just runs up and gets naded or tks you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit