So...anyone play 'America's Army'?

by Xander 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Xander
    Xander

Just wondering - new game out, developed by the US Army. It's based on the Unreal Tournament 2003 engine, so it looks pretty good. Decent gameplay, a lot of innovative features for shooters.

Best of all, it's free.

Wondering if anyone else has taken a shot at it yet?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I downloaded it but it wont run on my computer...... :(

• berten
    berten

I tried it but my sharpshooting skills were not good enough.

• Xander
    Xander

Hmmm...too bad. It's more CPU intensive than vid card intensive.

Kind of a neat game. They force you to play by ROE - if you do too much 'friendly fire' you get kicked + banned. You can't pick whichever uber-weapon you want - you are assigned one (you can select a preferred weapon, but you don't get it unless you are qualified for it and performed well in previous rounds).

You can only carry ONE main weapon (although you can have another slung over your shoulder) - so no uber-soldiers like some other games have where each person carries an entire arsenal.

Lot of nice touches to it.

my sharpshooting skills were not good enough.

That's okay - the sniper rifle really isn't much use on most maps. As long as you pass for basic marksmanship, you can get access to the M4, the M16 and M249, which are all the guns you really need.

Edited by - Xander on 15 August 2002 15:0:37

• berten
    berten

>As long as you pass for basic marksmanship...

I mistook "Sharpshooting" for basic marksmanship,

I did not pass this level,even after several tries...

• Xander
    Xander
    I did not pass this level,even after several tries...

Really?

It's only 23 of the 40 targets?

Did you crouch and zoom in before shooting? It helps stabilize the shot some - also, if you time the shot with your breathing (when laying prone), it shoots truer.

(In any case, with the latest patch, you don't actually even have to qualify for basic marksmanship to get the M4 on most servers)

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I would love to play it since I'm a big Rainbow 6 and CS junkie. However, I'm on dial-up so I don't think I'll be downloading anything anytime soon.

• Xander
    Xander

Ehhh...that's alright. They're using it as a marketing tool - only 'Recon', the demo, is out for download now. Come this fall, there will be a MASSIVE distribution effort of it - it will be shipped with most game mags, etc.

BTW, part of the reason for this post...there ARE a few things about it I'm not quite keen on.

This is my first 'semi-realistic' shooter - usually I'm a Tribes man, so my gripes would be....

- Lack of maps. Yeah, this'll be fixed eventually, but I kinda like this whole 'reality shooter' thing, and the half dozen maps AA:R comes with just isn't enough
    - Sloppy net code. Yeah, I'm on 56k, so sue me. But I can find well over 100 T2 servers with a ping of less than 125 - I count myself lucky to find an AA:R server with a ping of 400! Most are in the 1000-2000 range!
    - SLOW! I spend *so much* time dead, it's not even funny. Would respawning after a brief amount of 'dead time' be so bad?

SO....how do CS and R6 stack up?

Edited by - Xander on 15 August 2002 15:34:50

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

The pace of R6 is slow but it is a very tactical game. CS can be but I stopped playing because of all the cheaters. CS is a huge adrenaline rush after you memorize the maps. It takes about a month of play to get it down but it is a blast. I only tried Tribes 2 and hated it but I hear Tribes is better.

• berten
    berten

>Did you crouch and zoom in before shooting?
    >It helps stabilize the shot some - also,
    >if you time the shot with your breathing
    >(when laying prone), it shoots truer...

Tried all that,I'm simply not that good
    with such games,same goes for UT and Quake...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit