Where To Start.....

by Lin 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lin
    Lin

I'm new to posting here, although I've been reading posts on this site for some time now. I post often on Silentlambs, but only now feel the desire to ask for some suggestions. Here's my situation: I was raised a JW, and I'm now 42. I left the Org in '95 and was also Df'd, no big deal. I've visited many different churches over the last several years, all of which have various differences in beliefs, and I have come to the point where I just feel like my head is swimming amongst a bunch of mucky-muck and I don't know where to start to clear the crap from my head. I believe in God and Jesus etc, but where to start to figure out for myself what is really true religiously. Trinity?, Hellfire?, Cross or Stake?, Blood?, you name it and I want to know once and for all what is the real truth, nothing but the truth so help me God. But where to start? Book stores are LOADED with books, manuals, workbooks, pamphlets, and I almost get dizzy looking at them all. I keep hearing myself say that anyone I talk to about it has their own belief, their own interpretation of scriptures whether self taught or taught from childhood, etc. I don't want someone TELLING me what I should or shouldn't believe; I want to see it for myself and make my own mind up. I just don't know where to start! Any suggestions?

Lin

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hi Lin, welcome to the board. I can't help you with this one. I went straight from a JW believer, to a total non-believer.

But I hope you find what you're looking for!

Viv.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

How about the Bible?

• Celia
    Celia

Welcome to the board !

Take it easy, your finding the "true religion" or what is true religiously does not have to happen immediately. Read, read, read. I am sure many on this board can recommend books to you.

And keep your mind open... Maybe, just maybe, there is no real truth... You may find Your truth, but is there really a universal truth ?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I want to see it for myself and make my own mind up. I just don't know where to start! Any suggestions?

Yes. Take a hint from yourself. The fact that, after all this time, it is all still so confusing should be a strong clue as to the truth about it all. Have you been insincere all this time? Likely not. Give yourself the awesome gift of just realising that you have been sincere all this time.. just as sincere as anyone on this planet. Listen to what you've learned.... and listen to what you haven't been able to learn. If you think "it shouldn't be this hard, it shouldn't be this confusing", well...., I think you're right.

Learn this, no one knows, and those who speak with authority about god, are either crazy (see examples on this forum) or liars (see examples on this forum) or emotional ninnies. They all speak with an authority they don't have.

My suggestion, next time you hear someone start a sentence with the word "god", assume you are about to be bullshitted.

Welcome to the forum, btw. You can do alot of your research right here.

• larc
    larc

Lin, I just read an e-mail from a very scholarly man who has studied the JWs and the history of religion all of his life. His conclusion? We are saved by grace, or undeserved kindness - as the JWs say, not by knowledge. He believes that people of very different belief systems will be saved, and "God doesn't give a damn about our silly speculations. He knows better." Something to think about.

• Lin
    Lin

Thanks for your comments and the nice welcome here. I realize I could just sit and read the Bible, but with things I've read lately I'm not sure which Bible is the copied or translated most accurately. I don't know...maybe my questions will never completely be answered. So many different religions, different belief systems, and someone like me floundering not knowing what to believe anymore. All I do know is there is a God and Jesus. Whether they are a Trinity or not, I don't know. Whether birthdays and holidays are alright, I don't know, but I celebrate them anyway. Whether Jesus died on a stake or cross, I don't know, and maybe it's not vital that I ever know for sure. I don't know anymore.

• larc
    larc

Lin, perhaps what you know now is all you need to know (see my last post). As far as holidays go, if they feel right to you, then by all means celebrate them. That's my view.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Ji Lin :)

I know it's hard to get started in deciding for oneself what we believe.

I messed up by letting the WT and Jw family 'teach' me the 'Bible' . Once I started reading it for myself OI found out what it really teaches and it was not what the WT said. So I left them because of that. I did not have any personal 'bad' experiences that drove me away from them--although I certainly understand people who did-- but I made my decision after reading the Bible. Jws just don't get how that can be and have made up stories about me --lol-- but I do know that an honest look at the Bible will tell you what you want to know.

As for translation, definitely not the NWT-lol- I have a paphlet by scholars that will clear up any doubt about that! But most translation you find in the store are good and accurate. There are many different ones but they differ in purpose more and not content. Some are very literal to the original, some parphrase, some use very basic english for those that don't read well, etc...

I suggest a literal one--I use NIV which has well over 100 scholars that translated it from many different denominations all with credentials and experience in translating the Biblical Languages. I also have Interlinears for both the OT & NT in case I need to make sure something is accurate or dig deeper into studying something.

I do have a personal ministry so-to-speak to talk with whoever wants about the Bible and whatever else they need. We also send out Free Bibles when we can. My approach is letting scripture stand for itself--I am not infallible but can offer some insight into what you are going through 'cuz I've been there myself and been there with many other people :) I am pretty impartial although I do know what I believe and don't get easily offened by discussion even if someone doesn't agree with me. If you'd like to chat or write or need just some info to examine for yourself feel free to email me anytime.

[email protected]

Oh--I just saw your email address! I believe we know eachother a bit from WA-- Nice to see you around ;) Offer is always open <>< Have a good night :) <><Angie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Welcome Lin!

You said; "All I do know is there is a God and Jesus. Whether they are a Trinity or not, I don't know. Whether birthdays and holidays are alright, I don't know, but I celebrate them anyway. Whether Jesus died on a stake or cross, I don't know, and maybe it's not vital that I ever know for sure. I don't know anymore."

Well, I'm not gonna be much help to you either, cuz you and I are on exactly the same page!

It's really crappy (in MY case) thinking that I had "accurate knowledge" (tm) in my back pocket for 30 years, and then realizing NOW that I don't know squat!

You may recognize me as "Annie" (who else-LOL!) from Penny & Tracy's group, WA.

I have learned SO MUCH from this board in less than a year, it boggles my mind some days!

Take care Lin.......

Hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit