Do you get disappointed if no one responds?

by Larry 37 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

Sure, I get disappointed. I didn't post just to read my own words... coulda done that by saving it here in My Documents. But then, I have to consider the subject matter. Usually, when I start a thread the topic is some weird, off-the-wall thing that's hard to reply to. Like, a link to a flash cartoon, or the lyrics to a song which I have twisted to give it some tongue-in-cheek reference to JWs. Beyond a simple, LOL@COMF there's not a whole lot to say, and I confess, when I read other people's posts like that I usually don't respond either, unless it's with another cartoon or another twisted verse. So, really, I don't expect a whopping lot of replies to my stuff.

Still, nobody wants to see a zero. Even if you only get one or two obligatory pats on the back from people feeling sorry for you, it's better than scoring the big Zee.

Here's a screen capture (edited to remove superfluous columns) of what "Posts Started by COMF" looks like. I'm not exactly the hot topic king. But, hey... I make up for it in other people's posts!

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

I don't usually mind if I don't get a big response, but while were on the topic, I may as well mention one certain thread that I started which I dod'nt get much feedback for: "A question about shunning" I got a few good responses, but i'd still like a bit more help. If anyone feels they can help me out, the thread is:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=33317&site=3

It would be much appreciated.

IBD

• Simon
    Simon

I think posting is a bit like conversation - if you use open, leading questions it makes it easier to reply to than just statements.

It is possible to say too much, say it all and not leave people much else to say. People often feel a bit lame posting 'me too' but may really agree with you.

I've posted things and never got a single reply and then had another topic that went on for ages (my best ever thread, lol)

It all depends on the subject, the timing, sometimes on the first few responses as to how the thread goes and whether it catches people's imaginations.

One tip I would definitely stress is to use meaningful subject lines that are a very concise summary of what the post is about. This helps to get the people who are interested in the subject to read it in the first place which may help you to get more replies.

• myself
    myself

Okay, I am going to respond to your thread, but I would like to give fair warning, I am usually a thread killer when I do. Watch this......

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Hey, Larry.

I do check back to see if someone might have added something to my thought, but suffer no disappointment if there isn't what I might have hoped for. If it's really important to me though, I'll just speak up and ask. Might even start a thread or two, who knows. I enjoy reading about others.

WIND; should you read this, you gave me a chuckle. Thanks. I'm glad you're here posting.

Been going through something similiar lately...when is it ok just speaking one's mind...mindful of any vulgarity, which I'm pretty good at, but ya just don't want to do that with everyone (sigh). I'm sorta stuck. Think I've found what might work for me though.

It's pretty much too hell with the adults, it's the children I want to focus on. I'll probably prove myself a liar because I'm gonna be hoping you find this and reply. I've missed you.

Granny (Linda )

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Sometimes, though I only started one thread and that got a few responses so i'm ok.

I like to look back at threads I've posted in to see if someone responded directly to me. I think it has a lot to do with self esteem, one of the things that kept me going in the org. I'll admit it, I CRAVED people's praise. I've had to get over a lot of that, but it's sadly still a part of my personality.

• Larry
    Larry

Like Whoa! I'm not use to this many responses - ALL are appreciated - Thanks. Below are the posts I feel captures the essence of this thread. It really gave me something to think about.

"Being a JW meant getting lots of nice little ego-massages from brothers and sisters, for being soooooo spiritual" ~ Dizzy Cat

"This board can be sort of like a support group for those going through JW related stuff." ~ Mr Biggs

Windchaser's candor :)

"the only issue is the degree to which we go to seek approval...that being the case i know of very few folks who enjoy being in a room full of folks and we they say something NO ONE EVEN ACKNOWELGES that they are even there..." ~ JT

"However, I think you will find ironically that many who really did serve God out of 'principle' and without 'fear of man' end up on the outside in places like this." ~ ballistic

"MOST people have a 'looking for approval' mentality." ~ Xander

"Its amazing, however, the number of responses to fluff posts." ~ ThiChi

"If I ask a question I really would like some insight on, maybe five people will reply, but if I post utter garbage and include the word boobie somewhere I will get an overflow of responses...So while I don't understand why people get huffy over a cyber message board and it's goings on, I do understand the reasoning behind it, and the desire to belong, which is a basic human desire." ~ Joannadandy

"It does crack me up that there are certain popular personas here who could post even their laundry lists and still get oohs and ahs and all kinds of interested nods from other posters."~ HappyHeathen

Just to add to Syn list - Mention 'PUSSY' in the subject line and you'll see a flurry of activities :)

"I think we all crave some acceptance, even when we claim we're doing something just for ourselves." ~ Joeshmoe

"I'll start to talk and little by little, the room thins out. There are only just a couple listening to me. That's life." ~

Sentinel

"I also get really really really frustrated when the same subject gets posted 40 times a week and the same arguments get reborn over and over and over and over never seeming to ever ever ever end." ~

plmkrzy

"Even if you only get one or two obligatory pats on the back from people feeling sorry for you, it's better than scoring the big Zee." ~ COMF

"It's pretty much too hell with the adults, it's the children I want to focus on." ~ GrannyLinda

"I think it has a lot to do with self esteem, one of the things that kept me going in the org. I'll admit it, I CRAVED people's praise. I've had to get over a lot of that..." ~ RandomTask

Peace - LL

• jack2
    jack2

Larry, good topic, and some very interesting responses.

Since this topic is kind of "two-fold" I'll start with my feelings as a jw to the need for approval.....especially when I was "reaching out" for responsibilities in the congregation, I felt the need for approval by the elders. In fact, if you don't receive such, your chances of 'advancement' are limited.

As far as posting goes, I was wondering, and then ThiChi commented on it, which is really more important - the number of views, or the number of replies. I guess the number of views is not a totally accurate barometer of interest in a topic, because some people from time to time click on a subject to open it and then find that it's not all that interesting. But by and large, I think it can give some indication as to the level of interest in a thread subject.

As far as the reply part of it goes, for me, it all depends on the level of response I expect and hope for. For example, I start some threads already knowing that reponses will be limited due to the nature of the subject. I do think that if a person puts a good effort into a topic and hopes for a good number of repsonses, then does not receive them, yeah, there can be a bit of disappointment. One thing I do try to keep in mind though is that all threads die eventually.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit