Should JESUS be worshipped or prayed to?

by LittleToe 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Edited by - ozziepost on 11 August 2002 8:55:19

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Edited by - ozziepost on 11 August 2002 8:55:34

• Jeremiah Lee
    Jeremiah Lee
    G'day Little Toe,

I'm glad you asked for us to keep our replies simple (and no Trinity!!!!).

One major consideration that influences me is that. of Jesus, it is said that "all authority and power" has been given him. Now if he's the "main man", then he's logically the one I want to talk to. Seems clear to me.

Thomas had it right!

Cheers, Ozzie

Amen

God bless,><>

Lee

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Isa. 9:6 "His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal FATHER

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LMAOROTF!!!!!!!!

What on Earth did you do to get THAT to happen Ozzie! HAhahahahaha

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Back to the topic

Maybe we should all just get in a big sand box and duke it out!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    What on Earth did you do to get THAT to happen Ozzie! HAhahahahaha

I wish I knew!

I was just starting to type a post, got as far as "G'day".... and then, the screen went berserk...when it settled I had the Message Posted before my eyes.

"Struth", I thought, "I didn't realise people were so keen to read my every word!!!"

Maybe it was something about this new-fangled electronic machine I'm typing on. It's called a computer.

Oh well, perhaps I should go back to farming!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Bang
    Bang

LET the angels worship Him - there's no wrong that they do

And why would angels worship Him? - He revealed who He was, more than they could even concieve.

The worship written of is not some sort of reverend "paying homage", like a ritual.

"O come, let US adore Him".

and entering the house they found Jesus with His mother Mary, and they fell down and worshipped Him

bang

• outnfree
    outnfree

LT,

I am going to base my reply on personal experience. I say "Yes" to both.

I would not have said that two years ago. But when I left the Watchtower (actually before -- I was leading a double life ), I was attending services at a non-denominational church. In December, my DF'd JW friend Jann and I went to the Christmas Cantata and we were talking afterwards about having to do research on communion.

Well, the next spring, we decided to have a private memorial service at my home and nine of us attended (and nine of us partook).

Shortly thereafter, I decided that I wanted to receive communion in church. Now in this church, prior to the bread and grape juice (well, you can't have everything!) being passed, an elder gives a reflection on what communion means. Then, of course, the church gets quiet, except for music, as the [dare-I-say]-emblems are passed. As I was praying there, I, who had not raised prayer to anyone but Jehovah since I was 17 yrs old, found that while I had started off "speaking" to Jah, I was now praying to Christ Jesus -- thanking him for his sacrifice and telling him what a privilege it was for me to now feel free enough to enjoy communion with him in this special way.

Well, I was caught up short! Had I blasphemed? But I was 'answered' almost immediately: it was perfectly all right that I had prayed to Jesus. And worshipping him was okay, too. After all, his was the name to which ever knee should bend, on earth and in the heavens. Praying to Jesus and worshipping him, was not in any way insulting to God.

Since that time, I was no longer upset when song lyrics joyfully voiced honored the Son as God as well as the Father as God at church services. While I still consider myself a non-Trinitarian, it no longer upsets me if others believe in the Trinity. I am content knowing that I can commune with Jesus by way of holy communion and, really, at any other time it seems appropriate. Yet, I most often do find myself calling on the Father in prayer, on the now rare occasions when I do pray.

I agree with the poster above who said worship entails giving honor, praise and glory. Giving those things to the Son of Man in gratitude is perfectly okay, and mainly that is done in prayer.

out

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

NewWay:
    1. Steven also saw the Father there, but didn't address Him. He addressed Jesus, even while in the Father's presence.

2. Concerning "worship" that is a more involved subject, as we must not simply take the usual English translation as the last word on what it means in every instance. The Greek word often translated "worship" 'proskuneo'
    But this is EXACTLY the same word used for worship of the Father, isn't it? How are you determining usage, by context or doctrinal bias?

3. John 20:28, where Thomas says "My Lord and my God", must be measured by Jesus words at verse 17
    "Jesus said to her [Mary], 'Do not cling to me,

The point isn't about Jesus having a God, it's whether or not he is worthy of worship.

>> Well you didn't think I'd let that go unchallenged did you? ;o)
    LOL - nope, s'ok.

4. 'non-trinitarian' - If it makes you more comfortable, I'm happy to accomodate that.

Loved your viewpoint, Outnfree, it seems similar to how my own angle started.

Edited by - LittleToe on 12 August 2002 19:18:43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit