U.S. War with Iraq

by Crazy151drinker 56 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Elsewhere, now after reading that article I am prone to believe it comes down to semantics. Thank you.

The UN is supposed to be able to check for nuclear weapons.

Iraq says the can check "all of the sites they believe" have weapons.

If I'mnot mistaken a couple of years ago didn't Saddam try this same trick, when the UN officials were there he said they could visit only three sites. Then he later backed down?

I really would like to know the ACTUAL facts rather than the facts as the media reports them.

Lisa

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Though I am usually the last to advocate a "hawkish" response from this country for any reason, I do believe the time has come for the U.S. to liberate Iraq by force. I agree with the statements some others made; we should have done it the first time around, with or without a U.N. mandate.

I recently read the book "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose, an account of the battles the famous Screaming Eagles fought against Germany, from Normandy til German surrender. And I was struck by some similarities with the Iraq situation. Saddam will never become as big a threat as Hitler was; Hitler very nearly won, but with Saddam this "possibility" is a joke. In large part that is due to U.S. intervention in the Gulf War. And Hitler grew to become the huge threat he was because so many nations ignored him and hoped he would go away, much the same way Europe does with Saddam. Without the U.S. involved, no one knows what the situation in Europe would be today, but one thing is certain: Hitler would have won. He very nearly beat us all. And he was on the road to building the atomic bomb himself.

With Saddam already possessing the capability for an unknown range of chemical and biological weapons, as well as having the demonstrated desire to use them to build an empire for himself, not to mention the desire for and will to use nuclear weapons, I do not believe there is any rational alternative to taking Saddam out of power. Letting him do whatever he wants, until he actually becomes a threat, would end up causing far more upheaval for the entire world than simply doing the right thing and taking him out.

I, like some others on this thread and others, am tired of America taking unlitateral action against anyone who sneezes. But in the case of Saddam Hussein, it is justified and necessary.

Edited by - spidermonkey on 9 August 2002 21:50:17

• LB
    LB

I've read articles from a little over 60 years ago that professed how the USA needs to stay out of Europe. That Hitler's problems were internal and we just didn't need to mess with them.

If anyone doesn't think Saddam is a threat to all of us then they just aren't paying attention.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't know why, but I just keep getting this sinking feeling that extending the war to Iraq would be like swimming in Jell-o. You can fight like hell, but you just won't get anywhere.

• glitter
    glitter

If Saddam shows them his will they show him theirs? ...

glitter

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

I did say in my previous post that Saddam (and his family) have got to go. When Bush goes in this time, I hope he has more balls than his father - and COMPLETES the task. Frankly I cannot believe the world has allowed that monster to continue to breathe. When Desert Storm was over - I was completely pissed that they didn't take him out then.

My worries are about the soldiers and being stretched too thin. There's gonna be casualties because of this excuse for a lifeform in Iraq. No more of this - lob a smart bomb shit. Soldiers have to go in, and I always dread the death of ANY soldier.

Mimilly

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Personally, I am not against American ground troops losing their lives in the assault on Iraq. Much better, IMO, than a protracted bombing campaign which would only increase the number of civilians killed.

And whether nuke, tactical nuke, smart bomb, or whatever variant we might use (whatever euphemism we want to give it), the result would be that the overwhelming majority of those killed would be completely innocent people. In the Gulf War, American troops came almost to the threshold of Baghdad, where people were cheering, celebrating because they thought they were about to be liberated. I could never support turning all those people (that we let down in the first place) into a huge crater of jell-o.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Well, I'm not really for the United States attacking another sovereign country unless there's some damn good proof of a damn good reason to attack them. Thus far I haven't seen zilch evidence of anything. And, thus far, all the reason for attacking Saddam (making weapons of mass destruction, gassing his own ppl blah blah) the US has the same things (who has the most nukes in the world and is the only country to have used it on another country?) and has done the same things (the US has sprayed more chemicals around the world [agent orange, etc] than just about anyone?) in the past. Doesn't help that who knows what the chain reaction of events will be if this thing starts, as the following hyperlink will illustrate: www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-376516,00.html ..A quick quote from the article about what will probably happen if Iraq attacks Israel during this:

Israels likely reaction would be nuclear ground bursts against every Iraqi city not already occupied by US-led coalition forces.

Now don't get me wrong--I think Saddam is a bad dude and should go and he's killed a crapload of people--on purpose. However, the US can't just go blasting up other ppl's countries just because they don't like the leader(s). Nor should we go after Saddam just because he's sitting on top of the world's second largest oil reserves (http://www.worldwiseworldwide.com/GeoFacts/energy-1.shtml) I could go on all day here but this is enough for now.

As you can see, I keep my opinions to myself

sea

• Xander
    Xander
    However, the US can't just go blasting up other ppl's countries just because they don't like the leader(s)

What's irritating me about the whole situation is the assumption that a military invasion force is necessary.

I mean, really, if Hussein and his male family members are what is REALLY at issue here, whatever happened to good, old-fashioned, assassinations? I mean, couldn't Hussein and his cronies be checked with a simple round or two to the head?

It's not like WW2 Germany where most of the leaders of the country, and ALL the military leaders, were behind Hitler. Hussein's army is only loyal to due family and fear. It's commonly accepted the (oppressed) masses of Iraq would eagerly rise up to take control if given the chance, and several Iraqis-in-exile in Iran have fairly powerful forces to 'liberate' their home country.

The only thing I can see happening if we send the whole army in is Hussein being driven into his deep, underground bunkers. And I'm loathe to imagine what the US might try to get him out.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

This Comic I think sort of sums up some of the poltical reasons for this invasion. I dont think its worth american lives to go in there. North Korea and china pose a greater threat than little ol' Iraq.
    Support for the invasion is NOT universal in the US. I and many other americans think it's stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit