The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• Viviane
    Viviane
    When I see someone flying the confederate flag I am thankful that we have the freedom to do so, even if it means that others might be offended. I don't prejudge them as stupid.

Being thankful for freedoms, not offended and knowing someone is stupid are not mutually exclusive. I have, with my own eyes, seen a confederate flag flown next to a picture of a lynching. I personally hear people make comments about the war of northern aggression and how everything was fine before the war.

When I see someone flying the flag, I absolutely know everything I need to about that person.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Flying the confederate flag, to me, is kind of like still having the bumper sticker for your favorite candidate...months after he lost the election.

He's a loser guys, give it up!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am going to clear it all up for y'all.

The Confederate flag was virtually a museum peace. The one they nowadays use is a battle flag and did not actually represent the Confederacy. And it was brought out of obscurity because of the battle over the civil rights of African Americans.

After World War 2 and all along into the 1960's, more and more southerners (and southern legislative bodies) brought out the flag as an answer to civil rights and especially desegregation of the schools.

So a good ole' boy who loves the Confederate Battle flag might just be ignorant and not understand, or he might know that the flag is a symbol of rebellion against the federal government. When Lynyrd Skynyrd uses it, they are probably just encouraging a rebellious attitude. But make no mistake when a government continues to use it. It is a message of defiance against the mixing of the races and they fly it in order to respect "the old south" and the way it was.

Let your good ole boys and Lynyrd Skynyrd do what they want and let people decide what each individual means when they use it, but remove the battle flag from the grounds of state governments.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I've come to the firm conclusion that the U.S. is - for all intents and purposes - two countries occupying the same geographical space.
  • sir82
    sir82

I've come to the firm conclusion that the U.S. is - for all intents and purposes - two countries occupying the same geographical space.

I tend to agree.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    But on what lines? Is it race? Political/religious ideals? Support for gun control?
  • done4good
    done4good

But on what lines? Is it race? Political/religious ideals? Support for gun control?

Political leanings that may affect one's views on race, gun control, etc.

At the core, it probably has more to do with personality types, (in the scientific sense), that are being amplified and extrapolated by the dynamics of our politics in context.

Ok, I really need to get back to work.

d4g

• flipper
    flipper

ZOOS- In the Southern part of the U.S. A. I don't think prejudice of both races is in the "minority " as you stated. I think it's a very common thing that happens WAY too much in the South. . You stated that there were multiple white men in your office that feel , " when crimes committed by blacks hit the news the boys at work are quick to judge the entire race on the stupidity of the black offender. " But you hear crickets from these racists when murders by a white man happen towards blacks as it just did there. And the comment by a co-worker, " The sad part is there were so many empty seats " ? Wow, just wow. Disgusting murderous attitudes of people who have allowed hundreds of years of Southern prejudiced attitudes to corrupt their minds.

I can honestly state that you would RARELY if ever hear those kind of malignant , prejudiced comments out here in the state of California in public places like offices, restaurants, around children by adults in public , etc. Sure- we have prejudice out here, but it's more of a private back and forth between people- the prejudiced attitudes between races is outwardly CONDEMNED in our state as being unacceptable.

My 30 year old son and his girlfriend just traveled through South Carolina and North Carolina on a road trip and while sitting at a restaurant in North Carolina they were appalled to see a white lady in her late 20's just very casually use the word " nigger " in conversation while talking quite normally at her table with her white friends. Something like , " Oh, it's just some dumb " nigger " lady. "

When you see people of any race using disrespectful, prejudiced words like this it is a throwback to the times of slavery when those attitudes were prevalent and permeated the American Society. Have we as a country really NOT progressed at all in over 150 years since slavery was abolished ? I think we have not unfortunately. I think people are just as prejudiced and ignorant as they ever have been, perhaps worse. And it's like a dormant volcano in the South where these pent up aggressive, violent attitudes towards blacks just keep brewing until one of these hate crimes by a white comes out and everybody wonders what happened. Wake the hell up people. It's been brewing for years sadly, and the only thing that can change it is if parents change the attitudes THEY have which were handed down by their ancestors and we begin to teach OUR children true acceptance of any race, color, or difference

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thank the lord Harry I'm in the UK.

My memory of the flag is something to do with the Dukes of Hazard.

I try not to have a skewed view of my cousins across the pond based on the media though.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

punkofnice - "I try not to have a skewed view of my cousins across the pond based on the media though."

Ditto.

The media (and the cousins) sure don't make it easy, though, sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit