The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thnx Dr,Who - the background is appreciated.

Thanks from me too. That flag's reputation as a symbol of the Confederacy is only a kernel of truth.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    The death toll from this game is escalating, but we have a DOJ that prefers to keep it out of the news media,

What do you have to prove that? You show one video, which proves what? That some people claim to have done this? So what? Do you have names, dates, statistics that prove this is anything more than a media over reaction that has since been debunked?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I am ignorant of the history and current attitudes surrounding the confederate flag, but there seems to be a good case for getting rid of it - especially from government buildings.

If you want to help the cause, then concentrate on modern Slavery. That should be the focus even for black Americans - excellent point which cannot be stressed enough.

Despite Obama apparently saying that slavery "casts a long shadow, and that's still part of our DNA that's passed on" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3134494/Obama-uses-N-word-says-slavery-casts-long-shadow-podcast-interview-comic-Marc-Maron.html#ixzz3dwbQvuHe), no African-Americans alive today have any experience of slavery.

Saudi Arabia, under international pressure, officially abolished slavery in 1962; abolition in Mauritania apparently followed much later - in 2008!

This means that there exist in these two countries ex-slaves of sub-Saharan origin, alive today.

Plus, although I'm ignorant of the full facts, I'd expect some countries to have de facto slavery. Why does nobody talk about this?

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Whatever it's origins, this flag has been adopted by many racist organizations and people, and so has come to symbolize racial intolerance and hate and is offensive to a great many people. While some may chose to use it and they may have that right, there is no reason for any government to use it in any way.LisaRose

People seem to forget Blacks are also racist. If you’re going to call white people racist, then call it for what it is. We now live in a racist society. All rational is gone. Bigotry is everywhere. I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned this forum and you people as an example of how society is twisted. You call an image hatred, yet you don’t see your own hatred here.

Research the Black movements to understand people like Malcolm X and Louis Farrakhan, the group the Black Panthers. Why hasn’t Angela come back after escaping from police custody from Cuba to face the murder charges, for killing a white cop in the 70’s while being a black activist? Blacks are just as guilty as whites. The only difference is when a black man kills a white man in Chicago no one cares because whites don’t advertise it, but when a white person does it, every black caucus including the President gets on board to condemn. Of course this is no excuse for a horrific action, Therefore keep balanced.

The confederate Flag is not the issue or shouldn’t be, if you want to fix something that’s broke like racism, look both ways and admit to the corruption and failure of society that made it so.

Surviving Union and Confederate Civil War veterans on parade in Washington DC in 1939 with both flags flying high in memory of a war that shouldn’t have been but displaying unity of a culture once divided.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

"Battle Cry: 150th Anniversary Edition" has now been pulled from Amazon because the Confederate flag is used in a Civil War game!

Discussion at BoardGame Geek:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391328/amazon-bans-battle-cry

GroupThink is going on strong in this country at the moment.

Oh, by the by - I never mentioned tea. That's a strawman argument. But, if you can point out to me the US colonial representatives in British parliament back then (you know, so the colonists would have a say-so in the laws being passed on their behalf), that'd be great.

• talesin
    talesin

William Tappan Thompson designed this flag. Here's what HE said. (black bold is mine)

url: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Although he was from Ohio, during the American Civil War, Thompson supported the Confederacy and its cause, as a resident of Georgia.[1] In 1863, as the editor of the Savannah Morning News he proposed a design that would ultimately become the Confederacy's second national flag, which would be come to known as the "Stainless Banner."[2][3][7][8]

In a series of editorials, Thompson argued:

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.[4]… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG.[5] As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of theYankee vandals.[6]

After the American Civil War ended and slavery was abolished in the U.S., Thompson, as a fervent supporter of the Democrats, opposed the Republican Party's efforts in southern U.S. states, as well as opposing the granting of civil rights to African Americans and freed slaves.[1][7]

I agree with Simon on this one completely. The facts speak for themselves. *shrugs*

xx

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

How interesting that loui farrakhan disagrees about confederate flag. Just yesterday, in my very own city of Washington DC, he said the confederate flag wasnt the problem.... He said the AMERICAN flag should be taken down, that the american flag was the problem.... There in lies the issue. it will never be enough. I dont think rebel flags should be flown over government buildings, its just plain bad form, but what people represent on their own is their buissness. Im sick of racist a$$ h*** of all colors fanning flames of hatred. Shut up, all of 'em

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/national/louis-farrakhan-we-need-put-american-flag-down/nmknZ/

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    People seem to forget Blacks are also racist. If you’re going to call white people racist, then call it for what it is. We now live in a racist society

SOME blacks are racist, just as SOME white people are racist. Racism is bad whatever the reason. What is your point? While racism does exist, I don't believe we live in a racist society. You seem to see everything in the extreme, as if there are only two options, a paradise of racial harmony or or a society of extreme racism.

All rational is gone.

All rational what?

Blacks are just as guilty as whites.

Of what? In what context? You talk of Angela Davis and the Black Panthers, what is your point, exactly? That black racism and extremism exist? Yes, of course they do, but they don't speak for the majority of black people.

The confederate Flag is not the issue or shouldn’t be, if you want to fix something that’s broke like racism, look both ways and admit to the corruption and failure of society that made it so.

But it is the issue. What if your state adopted the flag of the black Panthers and flew it in your state capitol? No matter what explanation was given ( it's a symbol of black pride, it has historical significance! ) you would feel insulted and excluded, and rightly so. You talk of corruption, what is more corrupt that state sponsored racism? Because flying a flag that is a symbol of racism is, in fact, racist.

The only difference is when a black man kills a white man in Chicago no one cares because whites don’t advertise it,

That is patently ridiculous. Tell me one example of a where a white man killed by a black man where nothing was done because the perpetrator was black.

• _Morpheus
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

People are individuals and their lives are their own property.

Respect for private property as it applies to living beings, is not taught. Instead, society is viewed as a vast resource to be harvested.

Why is anyone nostalgic about an era when some humans OWNED other humans! Reminders of historical injustice are important, but they should be shown to be negative - not raised up for admiration.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit