The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• Clambake
    Clambake
    Freebird just isn't the same without the stars and bars flying in the background.
  • Laika
    Laika
    I agree with Simon! Take down the flag!
  • Simon
    Simon
    If we get rid of something every time it gets hijacked by nutters and extremists, then we can say goodbye to the German National anthem, the Union Jack, the Premier League, God save the Queen, 10 green bottles (10 German bombers) and Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (whales! whales! bloody great fish are whales..)

But it hasn't been hijacked by nutters and extremists. It was the flag of nutters and extremists since it was first created. It has never been a symbol of unity or anything good - it's simply a symbol of mindless rebellion, stubbornness and yes - white supremacy and a desire to live in a world where black people can be property.

The confederate flag has never been a symbol of anything but utter fucktardiness.

While extremists try to hijack regular symbols like the Union Jack they fail because it has a life and symbolism beyond their very narrow view.

But who cares - if the Union Jack ever really became a solely racist symbol then burn it and we'll make a new one. We're more than the banner we wave above our heads - that's just a symbol to show our identity and those who fly the confederate flag show their true identity only too well and for all to see.

Refusal to take it down is more about refusing to give up on a viewpoint that has no place in today's society.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

It's a part of USA history.

Denying history and dictating what people can and cannot do (including something as innocuous as owning and/or displaying the Confederate flag) is what the Watchtower does.

If it's doing no harm, then it's doing no harm.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It's a part of USA history.

So is slavery.

Denying history and dictating what people can and cannot do (including something as innocuous as owning and/or displaying the Confederate flag) is what the Watchtower does.

Who is saying to deny history? Why do you think it does no harm?

Oh, look, a tautology.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    I saw reference to this in the morning news. This picture of the suspect burning the American flag while showing a reverance to the Confederate flag is really disturbing.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

If it's doing no harm they why have so few black people chosen to adopt it as representative of their Southern heritage and history?

Edited for grammar.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

The "knock out game" was a myth.

I don't care if you personally want to believe that, but anecdotal and video evidence from these unprovoked black on white attacks shows otherwise. Anyone who does diligent research for an hour can find out for themselves that this "game" is true. Blacks brag about their KO's and post videos all the time among themselves. Self-hating whites need to educate themselves. The death toll from this game is escalating, but we have a DOJ that prefers to keep it out of the news media, rather than publicly address this as a hate crime and muster federal resources to stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y08AIrCdkwY

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

I've read many books. The KKK existed long before Hitler was born. Hitler did not and could have started the ideologies of the KKK. Just because that is true and you got called out on it is no reason for you to take your ball and go home or start calling names= Viviane

Sure I do, you believe that everything you write is fact. That you and you alone have all the answers. I called you on it for that reason, just as you like to belittle people, so will I. So sing it to the choir.

Allow me to clarify a misunderstanding. When I referenced the first slavers, it was the Europeans or 13 colonist that enslaved the Native American First. However Native Americans that attacked a neighboring tribe would keep the defeated as slaves. My point is, Black Americans don’t have a monopoly on slavery. There were many nationalities enslaved by the white man back then.

If you want to help the cause, then concentrate on modern Slavery. That should be the focus even for black Americans.

Racism and Slavery are two different situations. Black Americans have over played the slavery card.

Now the second misunderstanding is the K.K.K. I did not mean the KKK was developed by Hitler or started by Hitler. I was suggesting that the modern ideology of the KKK is driven today by Nazism of having a supreme white race, rather than the KKK of old that was obviously started earlier with slavery. The Confederate cross bar flag and the swastika are the modern emblems of the KKK.

Third, while I agree with the majority on racism, the confederate flag has no special meaning other than those who cherish or distort its past. South Carolina was the first State to seced from the Union. South Carolina was the State that started the civil war in Fort Sumter 1861. The only thing with South Carolina having the Confederate flag flying, it’s the wrong flag. The original war flag is not on the Capitol. The cross bar confederate flag was made exclusively for General Lee and the State of Virginia.

Contrary to popular believe, slavery was not the first reason the civil war started. Even Lincoln stated in his inaugural address ,stated he didn’t want to upset those States that had slavery. It was after the American Union President saw they were losing the war that he included slavery in his declaration in 1863.

America for 5 years was divided into 2 countries, The America North (Union) with President Abraham Lincoln and America South (Confederate) with President Jefferson Davis.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Third, while I agree with the majority on racism, the confederate flag has no special meaning other than those who cherish or distort its past

Whatever it's origins, this flag has been adopted by many racist organizations and people, and so has come to symbolize racial intolerance and hate and is offensive to a great many people. While some may chose to use it and they may have that right, there is no reason for any government to use it in any way.

It's just a shame that it took a horrific act to accomplish this.

But it is doing harm. Imagine a person of color visiting a government building and seeing a symbol of the people who wish to oppress them. Why would that be OK for anyone? The swastika was adopted by the Natzis, so should we be OK with it being used today, just because it originally had a more benign use? Imagine a Jewish person seeing a swastika adorning a government building and tell me that would cause no harm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit