The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    What we need to be asking is how are we going to make substantive changes to achieve a truly color blind society.

Causes of the woes you mentioned faced by contemporary human society are much, much bigger and more complex than skin color.

For starters, the view from one-million miles in space is that humans are essentially a sophisticated form of bacteria eating away at planet earth's resources, which resources are not infinite.

For seconds, no matter skin color humans are, like most other life forms, very selfish.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

Removing the flag from American consciousness is not going to end the plague of racism.

Racism goes both ways, but you wouldn't know about the plague of black on white knockout game attacks

(some have been fatal) from watching/reading the mainstream news media.- gotta love that plague word- it's great.

We have an African American President, African Americans make huge contributions to American society in science, education and the arts.

I think "huge" is hyperbole- look at the nobel prize winners- the blacks have been given a lot of peace prizes, but I think, none, in hard sciences= that takes individual hard work. Now, if we are talking about Jews, then huge would be a fitting adverb.

http://www.quora.com/Why-has-no-black-person-especially-African-won-a-Nobel-prize-in-one-of-the-hard-sciences-There-has-been-a-number-of-Laureates-in-Peace-and-Literature-I-think-but-none-in-Physics-Chemistry-or-Medicine-Physiology

• garyneal
    garyneal

Viviane:

But, on the bright side, anytime I see someone flying, I know that I already know everything I need to know about that person. Think of it like them voluntarily putting on the dunce cap.

I am sorry you feel that way and I would have to agree with cappytan. I think it is too easy to 'go with the crowd' and just call it out as a symbol of hate when only the hate groups actually do this. TOO EASY. I am glad we live in a republic and not a democracy. When I see someone flying the confederate flag I am thankful that we have the freedom to do so, even if it means that others might be offended. I don't prejudge them as stupid.

• losingit
    losingit

The other day, not too long ago, I saw someone pull into the parking lot in their pickup truck with 2 huge Confederate flags waving in the back. On the bumper, they had 2 stickers-- "Don't Tread on Me"... you know, that flag with the snake. I am a person of color-- I ran the hell out of that area. I was scared. My gut reaction to that flag, and anyone remotely associated with it, is fear. It astounds me that there are people so comfortable waving a symbol that inspires fear in others.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

Causes of the woes you mentioned faced by contemporary human society are much, much bigger and more complex than skin color.

Marvin, I have always liked your work, but you are being a little naive here- We have in America, something called "black solidarity"- it's approved! Society has worked very hard to eliminate "white solidarity", but has been reluctant to dismantle black solidarity, even when it is hurting the black community. . Society is paying a price for that. Like, Snitches get Stiches- which in the ghetto means- even, if a black gangbanger kills a 5 yr old black child and you saw me shoot him, you can't rat me out to the white police- so keep quiet or I'll come after you, too. Black criminals have a free reign in the gehtto and a white policeman is persona non grata in the hood.

http://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/2013/07/12/whats-in-holders-wallet-his-real-race-card/

"Holder’s explanation— in other words, race comes first for Holder."

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    • Marvin,... you are being a little naive here...

Perhaps you should take a harder look at what I've said. A much harder look.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Simon:

"Tear it down, burn it and do it publicly. It has no place in modern society and, like it's cousin the swastika, should only be seen in museums."

The South were the same as the Nazis. The Nazis thought of themselves as a "master race" while the Confederacy thought of themselves as......a master race.

cappytan:

"Comparing it to the Swastika is also a false equivalency. The German Government of the WWII era took specific steps to exterminate the Jews."

Why would the South want to exterminate their free labor?

"It really is sad that the imagery of the confederate flag has been commandeered by hate groups.

"In my mind, it's a piece of history, and promotes that heritage of telling Washington to mind their own business."

Ending slavery was everybody's business.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

zimunzucz:

"The Charleston shooter, Dylann Roof, had been arrested months earlier and was caught with powerful prescription drugs-- drugs that can cause a person to act out violently."

Yes, they can do that but Roof did state that blacks were responsible for rape and the destruction of America. Medication is not likely to effect or change your prejudices even if they can take you to the point of violence.

garyneal:

"When I see someone flying the confederate flag I am thankful that we have the freedom to do so, even if it means that others might be offended. I don't prejudge them as stupid."

You can say the same thing in Germany about the swastika being a part of German history and even bring up that Hitler had some good points (He did build hospitals and schools.).

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Ending slavery was everybody's business.

I didn't say it wasn't.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cappytan,

Village Idiot: "Ending slavery was everybody's business."
    cappytan: "I didn't say it wasn't."

cappytan, you said "In my mind, it's a piece of history, and promotes that heritage of telling Washington to mind their own business."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit